QE
QE
Accepted Solution

Touchpad not working (Satellite C855D-S5354)

I purchased my laptop (Satellite C855D-S5354) in mid-to-late November. Less than two weeks later, the touchpad stopped working. Something I found interesting is that the touchpad works until I log in. Then, it freezes.

I ran a system restore to a time when the touchpad was still working and this solution worked for a few days. Since then, the same problem has reoccured twice. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the touchpad driver, but that did not work. Are there any permanent solutions?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Touchpad not working (Satellite C855D-S5354)

Satellite C855D-S5354

I ran a system restore to a time when the touchpad was still working and this solution worked for a few days.

Sounds like a Windows Update may be interfering. (Or maybe it's some other installation you do?)

Can you still do a System Restore to when it worked?

Control Panel > Recovery > Open System Restore

If so, time to shut off Automatic Update.

Control Panel > Windows Update > Change settings > Never check for updates

The next step is to install them one-at-a-time, rebooting, and then checking the touchpad after each.

Once we identify the culprit, we'll decide what to do.

-Jerry
MiamiMR2

[ Edited ]

Hi, this may seem obvious but, have you verified that you didn't (by accident :smileyhappy:) disable the touchpad for the user login in? You can do this easily by just pressing the F5 button on the keyboard (which is also refresh web page :smileyhappy:)

Anyways try that and see. The fact that this is happening only when the user logs in is a big clue! 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Would that setting survive a Windows restart?

From p.159 in the User's Guide. (Seems like it used to involve F9.)

F5.JPG

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
paul1149

MiamiMR2 wrote:

Hi, this may seem obvious but, have you verified that you didn't (by accident :smileyhappy:) disable the touchpad....

My situation wasn't just the login page, but everything. But the solution was the same: F5!

I even had tried to press it before, but apparently not the right way. I've now gone into the BIOS and switched the F keys to their normal functioning. If I want to invoke the fanciness, it will have to be a willful act.

BLESS YOU!

wspreen

I have a Satellite C855-S3508 with the same issue. The previous solution of removing the battery and resetting the defaults did not help. The touchpad seems to time out I have installed updated drivers found at Toshiba for the touchpad but still the issue continues. I have done a restore to a time prior to a Microsoft update as I am hoping that may be the issue. If anyone knows of any particular update that effects this or a more permanent fix please let me know.

Mr0x00

[ Edited ]

The culprit is Intel Management Engine Interface!

Solution: Enable touchpad via function key - Win+F5

Rch1

Mr. 0x00, 

you said, 

"The culprit is Intel Management Engine Interface!

Solution: Enable touchpad via function key - Win+F5"

That is not a solution.  It will absolutely not change a thing.  

ABC_Chef02

I also have a S855- bought in Jan 13' Win 8 and periodically lose the touchpad.  

Have done many of the steps delineated above including reloading drivers, going to previous Restore point and the problem continues RANDOMLY???

Just tried Win+F5, then Fn+F5 and it started again!!

Shut down the computer to see if it would happen again and it started with the touchpad.

Will have to wait for this to happen again and report in.

ABC_Chef02

Just as I report the Touchpad is working ( S855-) as it finished the restart LOST the touchpad AGAIN!!

Did a restart, and kept trying the touchpad after login and it is still working.  I was trying to see if a specific process loading is what the cause, but this time it is still working.  I suspect something happens when it left idle for a period of time.

manajeeb

Thanks, F5 worked for me :smileyhappy:

navya

thank you very very much,.........it helped me a lot...............:smileyvery-happy:

cherrymar

Thank you!  Was ready to pull my laptop apart to see if a cable had come loose when it was dropped.  Am so grateful that people like you post solutions even though others are so negative at times. 

QE
QE

Neither restarting the computer nor using the F5 key fixes the issue (which still happens occasionally).

Nevertheless, thank you for all of your help.

arionly

[ Edited ]

Have the same problem.  Mouse works until I log iin.  F5 was not a fix for me.  Noticed that somehow it would get disable during an update, finally it just would not work at all. I think there is something with windows 8.  It is frustrating not knowing which update is going to make the mouse stop working. 

I had the laptop repaired for some other issues.  The mouse has intermittent issues.  The mouse stopped working again but resumed.