Occasional Contributor
Len1733
Accepted Solution

Touchpad mouse buttons won't click on Satellite A505-S6980

Someone use my computer briefly and now the mouse buttons on the trackpad won't click and select. I can move the mouse but can't select. Can select with an external mouse. Windows 7.

katrinar

Re: Touchpad mouse buttons won't click on Satellite A505-S6980

I'm having the same issue with my satellite c655-s5212.  Left click doesn't work and neither does clicking with the touch pad.  I can still move with the touchpad and right click.

Peter

Occasional Contributor
Len1733

Tried that one last night but with no success. I'll try it again. Thanks.

Occasional Contributor
Len1733

No luck.

Peter

Try using System Restore to restore a previous restore point from before this became an issue.

If that doesn't help, you may want to try a full system recovery. Recovering your laptop to its original, out-of-the-box state is a great way to eliminate software as a possible cause of the problem. Note that doing a system recovery will return the laptop to its default conditions, completely wiping your data. Information on how to perform a system recovery can be found in your user's guide. On most models you can hold '0' (zero) with the computer turned off. Then press the power button while continuing to hold '0' until the recovery utlity starts.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
Len1733

I don't know what happened, but today I turned on my laptop and the mouse buttons are working. Maybe one of my efforts at installing a new driver kicked in after I shut it down last night although I did restarts after my earlier attempts. Thanks for your help.

Occasional Contributor
Len1733

I think I restored to an earlier time yesterday and that may have fixed things. I now have 13 "important updates" waiting in WIndows Update. I'm not sure if I should allow those to proceed.

Occasional Contributor
Len1733

Back to having the same problem. Worked well for several hours. Was on a website and all of a sudden the problem reappeared.

Peter

Had you reinstalled any of those updates?

If you perform another system restore, does it fix again?

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
Len1733

I did not reinstall the updates. I tried another system restore and it didn't help. The restores are now getting later in date as the earlier restores get deleted for lack of space.

Peter

It sounds like it was just coincidence that it began working then.

Try reinstalling this.

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows 7 (64)(v1.2.25_64; 09-28-2009; 44.66M)

I don't expect it to fix it, but it's worth a try.

You may also want to try a clean startup.

How can I perform a clean startup of Windows 7 without my startup items to troubleshoot a problem?

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
Len1733

When I loaded the package, I got an error message. The clean startup didn't do it either.

Occasional Contributor
Len1733

[ Edited ]

I did both without any luck. If it means anything, when I move the mouse using the touchpad buttons, it traces a rectangle on the screen that will only disappear if I click on the desktop using an external mouse.

Peter

It sounds like it might be time to try that recovery I mentioned in an earlier post. If that doesn't help, it could require servicing.

- Peter
jchristopher

I have the same problem on my Satellite L755-S5248. I tried restarting the computer a few times, and restored to a point in time before I had this issue. My Wireless mouse works fine, moving the cursor with the trackpad works fine, it's just that the trackpad buttons won't click.

jchristopher

I also forgot to mention that a couple of times I found my keyboard wasn't working, either.

Occasional Contributor
Len1733

Tonight, it's working. I wonder if there might have been some dirt under the key that prevented if from making good contact. Maybe it worked its way out. Just guessing.