LuckyLadybug

Touchpad left button not working; possibly causing other issues

[ Edited ]

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite and have for a couple of years. It's been in use off and on for I'm not sure how long before that. Nine days ago the left button on the touchpad began to malfunction. It started refusing to select things properly, the cursor would jump around, and double-clicking was not allowed. Each day it grew worse, until it wouldn't work at all. I had to plug in an external mouse. After a day it started acting screwy too, in the same way the touchpad began to, but cleaning the cookies got the mouse back to normal. The touchpad button, however, still refuses to work, leading me to believe something else must be wrong with it. Maybe it's just old. But since I've been having other problems ever since then, I kind of suspect it's not just age. And yet I can't find any virus, either.

But suddenly I can't play videos with large screens, such as on Hulu.com, without the audio and video going out of sync. I have to find sites with smaller screens, such as Bing Videos. This is very annoying and disconcerting!

I've tried Disk Cleanup, which has helped that problem sometimes, but it doesn't help now. I've tried removing some large files from the computer, which also does nothing. Are there any other non-drastic things I could try? This laptop isn't mine. I was hoping desperately that the problem would be something simple and I could take care of it myself. Before I'd do anything major, I would have to tell the owner about it first. And I feel sick if something I've done has caused these problems to emerge.

Also, is it even possible for an issue with the touchpad to affect other things on the computer? I suppose I could be dealing with two separate problems, but it's hard for me to believe that the touchpad problem isn't responsible for these video memory issues.

Thank you in advance!

Peter

Re: Touchpad left button not working; possibly causing other issues

What's the full model number? It should be on a label on the bottom?

What version of Windows are you running? Include the bitness (32-bit or 64-bit) as well.

- Peter
LuckyLadybug

Hi, there's about four labels on the bottom. I'm not sure which one it is.

I run Windows XP Home, and now I can't find where it says whether it's 32 or 64 bits. Gah. Also, I see my used space seems to climb every time I look at the C drive properties. Maybe there is a virus that hasn't been caught yet. Rotten thing.

tlingram

[ Edited ]

I am having the same issue. I have a Satellite A665-3DV8. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Peter

Luckyladybug, there are two numbers that you could give me - either the model number of model part number. An example of a model number is in tlingram's post. It begins with a letter, has a couple numbers, a hypen, and then a second grouping of characters. The model-part number will similarly have two groups of characters. This should start with a P.

tlingram, are you having both the touchpad issues and the issue with fullscreen video or just one of them?

If only the touchpad issue, try reinstalling this.

Synaptics TouchPad Driver(v15.0.8.1; 03-16-2010; 31.91M)

If the video issue, try reinstalling this.

nVidia Display Driver(v261.32; 01-20-2011; 117.65M)

- Peter