kinshasa

Touchpad icon randomly appears in middle of screen

I have searched this forum and cannot find a similar problem.  I use an external mouse attached by USB port, not wireless mouse.  The touchpad icon appears randomly in the middle of the screen.  First it will show the normal touchpad icon enabled, then it will disappear and the touchpad icon will appear with a red line through it.  When the touchpad icon appears the touchpad works. A second later, when the icon appears with a red line through it, the touchpad doesn't work. I have tried disabling the touchpad a couple of different ways.  First, I have tried disabling it all the time.  Then I tried disabling it only when an external mouse is attached. It continues to appear in the middle of the screen. It is flashing on and off as I write this.  This is very random.  I can ignore it but It's really annoying.  Any ideas would be appreciated  This is a Satellite L655-S5156.

EDIT:  For the last ten minutes, I have not had this problem. I am stumped as to the randomness of the touchpad icon appearance.

Peter

Re: Touchpad icon randomly appears in middle of screen

You could try reinstalling your touchpad driver and TVAP.

Synaptics TouchPad Driver(v15.0.8.1; 03-12-2010; 31.62M)

Toshiba Value Added Package(v1.3.19; 10-05-2010; 66.46M)

- Peter
kinshasa

Thanks for the suggestion.  The problem has disappeared over the last several days.  As I said it's random.   If it starts again I'll do that.

kinshasa

My son-in-law thinks it may be related to the speaker function-- something to do with port crossover (??).  I did notice that the icon reappeared at the sound for the start of CCleaner.  I muted the volume as an experiment when I booted up just now and and the problem is back.