Lincolnland

Touchpad; eratic cursor

This pertains to a new P305D-S8900.  When using the touchpad the cursor eratically moves around the screen, opening windows, etc.  It is uncontrollable.  I have reinstalled the driver twice; same problem.  The cursor works fine with a mouse.  Any suggestions?

Regular Advisor
Defender

Re: Touchpad; eratic cursor

Try this: Jumping mouse around error.

Mouse pointer jumps around as you type

Lincolnland

Re: Touchpad; erratic cursor

My problem has nothing to do with the keyboard or typing.  Apparently the touchpad is so sensitive that just touching it causes the cursor to move erratically.

Occasional Advisor
Techman

The above link can still help you as it tells how to adjust sensitivity.

This signature left intentionally blank.
Regular Advisor
Defender

Lincolnland the link petains to the mouse device, and Toshiba released a patch to resolve the known concern.

Lincolnland

Where do I locate this patch?

Regular Advisor
Defender

Try this: Jumping mouse around error.

Mouse pointer jumps around as you type

Lincolnland

Thank you for the information.  As it turns out I had installed this download twice - now I have installed it a third time.  The touchpad is still unusable - that is not an exaggeration.  Any other suggestions out there?

Occasional Advisor
Techman

Teh link given is not a download, not a driver.  It is a document with instructions.  Did you try all the instructions in that document?  The fix is within that document if you read it closly.

Lincolnland

I have to disagree.  I read the entire section and there is nothing there which resolves my problem.

Regular Advisor
Defender

Then the options available are:  Utilize the Recovery Disc set to restore to factory specs, or take to a Service Center for their diagnostic and gain a warranty repair period.

Occasional Advisor
Techman

[ Edited ]

So you disabled the touchpad and disabled tapping and it still opens things on its own?  But an external mouse works fine?

Regular Advisor
Defender

Hopefully we will learn a response to Techman queries?  Please read your Guide Booklet on the ''touchpad'' operation.

Lincolnland

The Index to the User's Guide does not have "Touchpad" listed.

Insofar as using the link to Mouse Pointer Jumps Around as You Type is concerned, my screen for Mouse Properties is most like "Feature Set 1" example, except that my blue highlighted area  says "Standard Poiinting Device", and not "Synamptics Touchpad" as in the example.  In clicking on the "Setup" button, my new screen has just two items on the left hand side; they are Overview and Buttons.  The example shows shows those two buttons plus buttons for Tapping, Virtual Scrolling, Pointer Motion and Sensitivity.  As I do not have the Tapping and/or Sensitivity buttons, I cannot make those adjustments.

Occasional Advisor
Techman

Not sure exactly what you are seeing.  But sicne you are seeing significant differences, it may be because you don't have the right mouse driver.  Iw oudl try the latest from this web site.  Just reload it, or load it, as the case may be.  Then see if the document makes more sense.

Regular Advisor
Defender

As menioned reload the mouse driver from Device Manager:  learn before doing so what hardware component you have, if ALPS use this==driver_touchpad_alps_27123B.exe

if synaptics use this==driver_touchpad_synaptics_27121B.exe

Must recommend that after all efforts here and no improvement, try the Recovery Disc or take to Service Center for a diagnostic.  Try the external mouse and see if that alleviates the concern?

Occasional Contributor
bingy

I am having the very same problem with eratic cursor.

My laptop is only 3 weeks old. I cannot write an email without it jumping all over the place....I followed all the suggestions on this link and it helped somewhat, even downloaded the new driver or patch from the website. We use a mouse rather than the touchpad as we find it easier, and the problems still occur.

My husband really hates this as my old dell (really old) never did this.

any new suggestions would be appreciated since this is so new I don't think I should have to deal with such a problem!!

Please advise.

Bingy

Lincolnland

I reloaded the synaptics driver as suggested; no change in the operation of the cursor when using the touchpad.  Apparently this needs to go to the repaid center.  Thanks for the efforts.

Regular Advisor
Defender

Bingy..return the unit to the Retailer.

Occasional Contributor
bingy

Do you think they will take it back without giving me grief??