Regular Contributor
stevedo

Touchpad cursor freezes on Satellite L655Ds

[ Edited ]

Bought an L655D-S5066 on Monday...Synaptics Touch Pad. The pointer started to freeze randomly, about 5 times, especially when switching users in Windows 7. Could not even ctrl-alt-del. Brought it back for a new one. Same issue...so I attached a wireless mouse for the hell of it and the cursor started moving again.

It seems to me that the problem must be in the pad driver. I looked at Toshiba's site and I have the latest driver (15.0.8.1). I will not tolerate this on a new laptop. Will get another brand if I don't get this resolved ASAP. Has anyone solved this?

Regular Contributor
stevedo

Re: Touchpad cursor freezes on Satellite L655Ds

I've done some more investigation. it seems that users have reported this problem in Windows since Vista.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/eab5d4c8-0c9c-46bc-9fd4-273686...

It appears to happen when you use the SWITCH USERS command while staying logged in. If you LOG OUT of one account first, then log into another, it seems to be fine. I have tested this myself and so far that is correct. (NOTE: If you are the only person using your laptop and have not set up other user accounts, you probably have no issue here).

This does not happen on my desktop PC, so it is still likely a synaptics driver issue. Since many laptop manufacturers use synaptics pads, getting another brand may not solve this. I spoke to techs in synaptics and they know about this now and will work on a fix. In the meantime, I generally use a wireless mouse, so I won't have the problem. If I use the touchpad alone, I will log off accounts before switching users. Perhaps a Windows Service Pack might fix  the issue also.

I will be testing this out for the next week and will report further.

McGuire4

My laptop is only 2 months old.  I don't use it all the time, so I'm not sure when it started freezing, but I am the only user for it.  It randomly will stick somewhere on the computer screen, sometimes taking the shape of 4 arrows (up, down & both sides) and sometimes a tiny rectangle comes up indicating to point to either an up or down arrow within it.  It will usually not move horizontally or diagonally and will sometimes move vertically... sometimes not move at all from the point in which it gets stuck.  I'm trying to figure out why it's happening and how to correct it.  Like the first poster, I will not put up with this on a new laptop either.  But I wanted you to know that it's not just happening with more than one user logged on.  I don't think that is relevant to this situation... it was just a coincidence that it was happening to you when logged on to another account.

wunderklicken

Same touchpad cursor freezing issue on Satellite L665D with Windows 7 purchased 2 weeks ago.  I have found that hitting the escape key once immediately releases the mouse/cursor from being frozen. So I've added the escape key to my normal typing routine.  It freezes regardless of the program being used or login configurations.

Its almost like it gets "stuck" gripping something. 

Also PS Toshiba.com - can you make it any more annoying to comment on this forum.  Thanks for the 3 complete your account screens, accept this, choose a username, etc.  I almost gave up except my mouse kept getting stuck during the registration process!   Please update your drivers. Thank you.

AR65

Same issue here on a Toshiba Pro T130. The Toshiba tech staff don't seem to care too much about this, do they? This is my first Toshiba and, well, sorry, looks like it is going to be the last one...

Lothar

Just bought a toshiba satellite L655 0DQ model number PSK1EC 0DQ00Q I have been having trouble with the mouse pad freezing up most of the time only for a few seconds, and some times longer. So i checked the drivers and i have the current version 15.0.8.1 so i tried rolling the drivers back and got a much simpler microsft driver that seamed to work very well untill the computer started opening windows by them self and started poping up windows and changing the wallpaper like mad. so i turned to synaptics web site and installed there latest driver for win 7 32 bit config and it seams to work well but still freezes for a few seconds every once and a while but not as bad as the one toshiba recomends on there driver page.

Also if i plug in a usb mouse it works fine

HELP TOSHIBA LOSEING FAITH!

other then that good cpu  

Towfik

I had the same issue. But I found the solution.

Hold CTRL & FN buttons at the same time. You will see a number of options on the top screen if you are using Window 7. Then, select F9 and when you see Enable , hit Enter.
eb-chicago

I have the same problem on my Satellite C855, running Windows 8. Typing Function-F5 twice gets it moving again, but surely Toshiba should update the driver. And, as others have reported, the problem is touchpad-only; cursor works fine when using a mouse. Related: The function keys on this system were backward in the BIOS -  I had to reconfigure in order for F-keys to work in MSOffice and other software. The options were mislabeled so I reconfigured the machine to (supposedly) NOT use the function key with the F-keys, even though my intention, and the result, was that now I DO use the function keys to use F-keys for their Toshiba functions. 

Sharonmc01

My Toshiba is 18 months old and the last few months the curser freezes randomly and then fixes itself usually within 24 hours.  It is more than annoying, but this does not happen with the external mouse.

Peter

What laptop do you have, Sharonmc01?

- Peter
ppli191

I am having some similar challenges with my new Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 8.1.  The touchpad freezes intermittently.  

I have however been able to recreate the freezing problem.  It happens when I am moving the pointer with the touchpad something else grazes the touchpad, like another finger.  The touchpad will then freeze until I take my pointer finger off then put it back on it will start moving again.  Not sure if it is designed this way, but certainly finding this "feature" to be challenging to work with.

I checked the configuration and it seems to be all working properly and the drivers are up to date.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Cheers.

Paul

Occasional Advisor
JoeMx

[ Edited ]

Paul,

Please read this post, maybe can help you, because I had similar problems.

Joe