Occasional Contributor
ahson

Toshiba Satellite L675 Laptop - Fn isn't working

[ Edited ]

Regarding my Fn key not working, I can tell it's the driver issue but I downloaded/installed every single drivers from Toshiba website and my Fn is still not working at all. How could I fix this issue?

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
ahson

Re: Toshiba Satellite L675 Laptop - Fn isn't working

Anyone? Or this model is too new and even Toshiba isn't aware of this problem at all?

Occasional Contributor
ahson

Anyone? Toshiba???!!! I can't even adjust my screen brightness or put it into sleep mode with my keyboard Fn key now.

Why Toshiba doesn't even have a driver for your own keyboard?!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Which Satellite L675?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
ahson

PSK3EC-01R013

I noticed the Fn key worked under the pre-installed OS environment. However I've re-installed my own Windows 7 and none of the driver from Toshiba website works for it's own keyboard.

The funniest thing is...the Fn will only work with the volume up and down combination.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L675-01R (PSK3EC-01R013)

Comes with 32-bit Home Premium. Exactly what did you install?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
ahson

Hello! I didn't like the pre-installed OS, and I installed my own OS version which is a Windows 7 64 bit. I don't think it's because the 64 bit issue? as the drivers I downloaded from Toshibsa website are all 64 bit compatiable?

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Try reinstalling this Toshiba utility. Sometimes it helps to uninstall the current version first.

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows 7 64bit, 1.3.4_64, 6/7/2010

TC00290100D_Toshiba_Value_Added_Package_1.3.4_64.exe

There is a different file for 32-bit Windows.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
ahson

Hello! I just tried to do a un/reinstall the file but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. I also noticed the Fn 'will' work during the Windows welcome screen, prior the desktop is loaded. Once the desktop has loaded, the Fn key will no longer working except with the Fn + volume up/down combination.

Please advise

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..the Fn 'will' work during the Windows welcome screen, prior the desktop is loaded.

Good observation. What happens after a clean boot?

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
ahson

Hi, I just did a clean boot and surprisingly the Fn key worked. How should I fix this issue then? To keep all those services disabled in the msconfig?!

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Instead of following the instructions there, I would do this next to verify that services are involved.

1. Reset Normal startup on the General tab and recheck all the items on the Services tab, returning the utility to normal.

2. This time, uncheck all the items on the Startup tab only, reboot, and see what happens.

-Jerry
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

As I said, it may or may not work. No way to tell if it's in spec except to try it.

If you buy something like that, make sure they will take it back without a restocking charge.

-Jerry