Wacker

Toshiba Satellite L650D Touchpad Not working!

Touchpad was working along side the USB mouse but now it won't work. In device manager it says its working correctly. I tried the fn+F9 key but that wont do anything,

Any ideas?

TIA.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Toshiba Satellite L650D Touchpad Not working!

If the F9 key shows pad disabled, you need to hit F9 again with FN still punched to enable pad.  Also, go to Control Panel-Mouse-Device Settings Tab and make sure that the box for "Disable internal device when external device is attached" is unchecked.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Wacker

There is no indication whether or not it is disabled on the F9 key. I have tried again & again holding down the fn + F9 key combination. When I go into the Control panel, its windows 7, I can't find the mouse Device settings. I get into the device tab by going to start & right clicking on my computer to select properties. I tried a system restore but that wont work either.

Where do I find the box/tab to make sure "Disable internal device when external device is attached" is unchecked?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Click Control Panel and in upper right corner of window, click on "View by Large icons. Then click on Mouse which opens the Mouse Properties window.  Then click on "Device Settings".  In about the middle of the resultant window is the box for disabling the pad when mouse attached.

Another thing you can do is restart your flash cards by going to Start-All programs-Toshiba-Utilities-Restart Flash Cards.  That might get FN-F9 to start working again.

Still another thing to try is Hold down the FN key and left click your mouse on the F9 box.  You should then see that the pad is either enabled or disabled.  Click on Enable. You have to hover your mouse over the graphics to get the words enable or disable to appear.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Wacker

To cut a long story short I had to launch the onscreen keyboard (osk) & from there I was able to get the Trackpad to work again. Thanks for all the help.

veltok

Great help thank you.

Viki_H

I'm having the same problem and have tried the above solutions. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

hubbalance

Same her... the above didn't work. I have also reinstallled the driver with no luck.

Malcontent

I have an old Sharp laptop (PCAL27) and I spent hours trying to solve the same issue. I was able to fix it by going into BIOS (Fn+F2 on reboot with mine but yours is probably different). Once in BIOS I went to the Advanced tab and put a check by "Internal Pointing Device". Voila it now works! Hope this works for you too.

bodhisativa

[ Edited ]

Malcontent,

"Kudos"! You rock! My backpack fell off the shopping cart I was pushing in San Francisco and, when I turned on my Toshiba Satellite C655-S5049, the touchpad didn't work in Windows or Linux. Several search engine queries indicated that, if you drop or spill liquids on the keyboard, the touchpad probably has a hardware problem and needs to be replaced. Two days later, I thought maybe I could fix the hardware (maybe a solder or something) and I found your post. The "Internal Pointing Device" was DISABLED. Thank you, thank you and thank you! I do not have the $ to get a new touchpad and the external mouse is sometimes awkward and eats up my USB ports when I want to use my external harddrive. Thank you, again...and thank you, Toshiba, for hosting the forum. lol  (Apologies for the long post, I should have calmed down first.)

JohnRah

Today, after 6 months of no touchpad, I got it working.  By accident, I hit Function F9 and held it down, and from the top of the screen, some icons dropped down and allowed me to enable the touch pad.  I then played with it and was able to disable it again and then enable it.  I have a Satellite A135-4727 model.  You can also see the icon if you push your browser to the top of the screen.  A whole series of icons will drop down.  You will see F9.

Good luck.

JOHN

Joletiom

I have a Satellite L655D with Windows 7 OS.  My touchpad is working enough so I can move the cursor around, however the scroll function stopped working without warning.  I've tried the FN F9 "trick" but it doesn't bring back my scroll function.  Has anyone else had this problem and been able to fix it?

Thank you!

mohd07

Thank you C.B I had the same problem with F keys not working and the Restart Flash Card worked for me. Cheers

Samiel

Not sure about the 650 but I can tell you what happened to my L775D. I was changing some of the hidden icons on the task bar and accidentally hit the "Synaptics Pointing Device" icon. It is a shortcut to the touchpad option screen. By clicking the icon, the touchpad was instantly disabled.  Don't know if the 650 has this or not, just thought that I would pass this along.

cbuck894

This fixed mine - thank you for your help!

red6joker

Ok this is the only thread where i was able to find any type of real help. None of the above has worked for me though, i opened up my laptop a Satellite A665 to clean it out with caned air since it was getting hot. The heat is no longer an issue but the touch pad no longer works and im using a USB mouse at the moment. Nothing everything is connected nothing looks burnt out inside on the board. Any help would be greatly apreicated.

sacswimmer

I had the same problem for several weeks on my E305-S1990X laptop.  Only a wired usb mouse would move the cursor.  Then I used the suggestion about going to the Toshiba Utilities in the All Programs-Toshiba menu and learned about how its "Flash Cards" work.  I found out that the F2 button when pressed (by itself) flashed the enable/disable touchpad icons.  I clicked on the enable icon and was thrilled when my touchpad started working again.

lass

I have a Toshiba Satellite L755D. I am not able to move the mouse with either the touchpad or an external wireless mouse. Using the windows key I did manage to get to the control panel and saw that the driver for the external mouse was installed. I tried the external mouse on another computer and it worked fine on that computer. The USB ports work with other devices.  Any suggestions on what else I can try without being able to move a mouse?

Thank you. 

manriquesuda

Thanks Malcontent you saved me a few hours of pain. It worked perfectly, I still don't understand why the problem started in the first place but now is fixed :smileyhappy:

RacineSteel

[ Edited ]

I have a Toshiba Satellite A505. In the BIOS, in the Advanced Menu, select System Configuration. There is an option for Internal Pointing Device, to toggle between Disabled or Enabled. Just in case someone has the issue with the A505.  Also, if at the Windows logon screen I do not push the little button just above the Touchpad so it lights up, the Touchpad does not work in Windows. I noticed this after doing the first BIOS update.