dalycathal

Toshiba Satellite L500 Keyboard not working

[ Edited ]

All,

Some help required please.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L500 and recently the keyboard has stopped working - suddenly.

I have rebooted, removed the battery to reset and also dis-connected and re-connected the keyboard to ensure the connection was ok. All with no luck.

The system emits a dull click sound when a key is pressed but not character is processed on screen.

Anybody have any idea how I might troubleshoot or fix this issue?

Thanks in advance

cgm
cgm

Re: Toshiba Satellite L500 Keyboard not working

I have experienced this same problem yesterday and today on my toshiba satellite laptop.  Suddenly, for no known reason, everytime I depress any key on the keyboard, a dull tone/ click sound occurs, but no character created onscreen.  Strangely, I can move around the mouse and use menus to perform some functions (open-close-delete), but cannot do anything requiring keyboard touch.

What is the issue, how can it be corrected?  I have not seen anything online indicating such a problem.

Rajabarel

I have same problem with Satellite L450D running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Keyboard works in BIOS and allows me to enter password. After that, no keys work and I just get clicks. Tried deleting keyboard from Device Manager, no better. Also tried another USB keyboard into USB socket. Device found, drivers loaded, Num Lock comes on , but again no keys work, can't turn off Num Lock.  Mouse into same USB skt works perfectly.  Help!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Check this:  Start/Control Panel/Keyboard/Hardware Tab/Properties/Power Management/Make sure box is not checked that says "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power".

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Occasional Advisor
TheWarrior

You may be sleepy when this happened to you :smileyvery-happy:. I think you guys accidentally enabled FilterKeys.

Hold down the RIGHT Shift key for at least 8-10 seconds and that should disable it.

Alternatively you can open the accessibility tool and disable filter keys from there.

Once you know how FilterKeys works, you now have a good prank as April is fast approaching.

kellychrisr

My keyboard stop functioning this weekend as well. I tried all the suggestions in this forum as well as one other in another tech support . The one offered to me from tech support for my company was to use the FN then hit F11 key. That worked long enough for me to get in but once in the keyboard would stop working as well. Seeing other have the issue, I am thinking I may have to use my warranty and send it back to Toshiba. Unless someone else has found the answer.

romeos9595

Re: Toshiba Satellite L7b5b5 Keyboard not working

My Toshiba Satellite has been having trouble for a while.  First (and still) it often acts as if the control key is depressed, when it is not.  I have tried removing and cleaning.  

Now some of the keys malfunction.  For example, "r" inserts a return after the letter.  5 types a "b" before the 5.  The return key types an equal sign.  The "a" key opens a help screen for Google chrome.  

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.  Pretty frustrating.  Thanks.  

xRachelgoesMoo

I have the same laptop and I've found that aswell. I know this didn't help but idgaf :cathappy:

DCV
DCV

I'm having similar problems with my rather weatherbeaten Satellite L455.

-- The internal keyboard and external keyboard both don't produce letters, making me think this is a driver issue, but the failure is present even during boot-up. The only key that functions, even during boot-up, is the Esc. (escape key). The caps lock light works on both keyboards. At times the keyboard will work, producing bad mapping of the keys (e.g. pressing "a" produces "^A" on the command line in DOS) but then it completely stops working at all.

----One oddity is that I sometimes get PXE errors and references to loose cables on start-up, before it boots windows. If I intercept the boot up with F2, it will not use the arrow keys or other keys to change anything. Only ESC works.

-- I restored the machine to factory settings with a different hard drive and this still happens.

-- If I boot the machine in Puppy Linux off a disk however, the keyboard works just fine. However, I need a machine with a working copy of Windows

Very frustrating.

DCV
DCV

For reasons that remain unclear to me, I started Toshiba's Virtual Keyboard, which allows you to type using the mouse, and keyboard functionality was restarted. Keeping fingers crossed.

kemplet

Re: Toshiba Satellite L735D Keyboard and touchpad not working

I've had my laptop for 2 weeks now and the only way I can login to the machine is to use the virtual keyboard using the mouse.  What do I need to do to get the keyboard and touchpad working again??

TK

thunderbolt

Here is the fix for the keyboard malfunction:  

1-  Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.

2-  Press the Power On button for 10 seconds

3-  Replace battery and/or connect power cord.

4-  Turn On  computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly

5-  Press F9 then press Enter

6-  Press F10 then press Enter

Your computer will now re-start Windows and the keyboard should now work.

billst

tried all this. still wont work. the only key on mine that works is the m. backspace key adds letters forward. cant even get into the computer because it wont let me add the password
retiredguy

My problem is slightly different but similar.

I own a Toshiba laptop A215S-7413 running Vista. While using it in the field I ran the battery very low and put the machine away in sleep mode overnight without hooking it back to A/C power. Upon recharging it and trying to get a boot up the machine looses keyboard input just as I start recovery. I use  a BIOS password initially before boot-up which the computer accepts but when I get to the recovery choices no keyboard input is available. I can use F2 to get into the BIOS and the keyboard works fine but when I exit it stops working again. I have tried booting from a floppy and loose keyboard input at the A: prompt. I can't use DOS commands and external keyboards won't work either.

SarahJS

Hi I have a satellite C660/C660D laptop and the 'S' key has stopped working.  The problem is I have password protected the laptop and the password i choose has an S in it.  How do i override the admin password and set an new one without the S?  I have also bought a new USB keyboard that i can plug in once i get it going again.  Pls help!

tallgirl84

I'M SURE YOU MUST HAVE SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM BY NOW BUT COULD YOU TELL ME WHAT YOU HAD TO DO? I HAVE TO TYPE ALL IN CAPS BECAUSE THE 8 ABOVE MY KEYBOARD HAS STOPPED WORKING, AND MY "Y" AND "K" BUTTONS ONLY SEEM TO CONTINUOUSLY WORK THIS WAY. ALTHOUGH IF I TYPE FAST ENOUGH, LIKE THE Y AND T BUTTON THEN THE Y WORKS IN LOWER CASE. I HAD THE SAME PANIC MOMENT WHEN IT STARTED CUZ MY LAPTOP PASSWORD HAD A Y IN IT. THANKFULLY I HAD SET UP THE FACE RECOGNITION THINGY SO I JUST IGNORED IT BEING A LITTLE ANNOYING BUT NOW IT'S A PAIN TO TYPE EVERYTHING WEIRD OR COPY AND PASTE A ZILLION TIMES. SO! IF YOU OR ANYONE ELSE HAS ANY IDEAS BESIDES TAKING IT INTO A SHOP (I'M BROKE! LIKE COUNTING PENNIES FOR THE BUS BROKE) AND I'VE HAD THIS FOR ROUGHLY 2YRS SO I DOUBT THE WARRANTY WOULD STILL BE GOOD - LIKE I WOULD BE ABLE TO FIND IT ANYWAY.   THANKS!!!

Regular Advisor
MadRN

There are ways to reset the BIOS password on Toahibas, and you can usually find that with Google.   But you may not feel comfortable shorting pins or disamntling things, so you'd have to find a friend or a Geek Squad or whatever to do it.

Keyboards are pretty inexpensive on ebay.  I'd buy another keyboard to replace one that had deal letters or can only type in all-caps.   It takes about 4-5 weeks to get some things from China, sometimes less.  It depends on the seller.  You just have to compare total price and shipping times and decide what works for you. 

Irisvista.com has pictures of how to dismantle Toshibas.

lindakayshafer

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much......this worked beautifully!  Hubby just bought new laptop and was getting ready to return as couldn't get past the first screen due to keyboard not working.  Your sequence did the trick!  Weird though.... thanks again.

‎04-29-2012 08:17 AM

Here is the fix for the keyboard malfunction:  

1-  Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.

2-  Press the Power On button for 10 seconds

3-  Replace battery and/or connect power cord.

4-  Turn On  computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly

5-  Press F9 then press Enter

6-  Press F10 then press Enter

Your computer will now re-start Windows and the keyboard should now work.

ddcc666

Hi, I'm having the same issue than the original poster. I have a Toshiba Satellite L500 as well. My keyboard just stopped working without any apparent reason. I'm using Windows 8 for around 3 months and everything was fine with it until a couple of weeks ago. It just stopped working at all, it wouldn't even allow me to enter the password or even enter the BIOS. The Num Lock light is always on, but none of the keys work.

I have already tried every possible solution mentioned on this thread, including the taking battery off and reseting to default (I had to do that using a external keyboard because the laptop's one was not working). I even bought a new keyboard, which I received yesterday, and after replacing the old one, I keep having the same issue. I have no idea what it can be wrong with it.

It happened to me that for a couple of times, without knowing why, the keyboard started working again for a few hours, but after restarting the laptop on next day, it was back to the same. Now, since I replaced the keyboard, it didn't work at all anymore.

Noticing that I already reseted to default and bought a new keyboard, it's hard to tell what can be wrong with it. I am not sure, but I guess it must be more of a software thing, but can't figure out what. I don't know if it may have something to do with using Windows 8, because it was working fine with it for few months and I don't think I installed anything new which could alter its functioning.

The laptop is out of warranty, I owe it for around 3 years and a half now.

Anybody has any idea or suggestion about what could I do to try to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance, and wait for your reply.

ddcc666

Hi, sorry to bother again, but there is anybody who can give me a hand with this? It's really urgent.

I just replied on this thread because it was related with my issue and didn't want to just open a topic to ask the same, but I would really appreciate some help about what I should do to fix this.

Thanks.