gabam
Accepted Solution

Toshiba Satellite C660 Function keys not working?????

Hi friends,

Hope everyone is fine and doine well. My Toshiba Satellite C660 functions keys are working, but as you know, other secondary functions are also associated to function keys, like changing the brightness, volue, wifi etc. These secondary functions are not working in my laptop. How can I enable them. I reinstalled the value added package, but that didn't solve my problem. Please help me.

Looking forward to your wonderfu replies.

Thanks in advance!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Toshiba Satellite C660 Function keys not working?????

[ Edited ]

Go to Start/All Programs/Toshiba/Utilities/Restart Flash cards. Incidentally, you didn't say but I'm assuming that you are aware the FN key has to be pressed and held to activate the operations you mention.

If you post back, please include your FULL model number and info as in mine below.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
gabam

I did restart the flash cards as you said, but it still doesn't work. I keep the buttons pressed for a moment, it doesn't work either. Here is all the info about my laptop, eagerly waiting for your reply

[PC Information] Model Name                    Satellite C660 Part Number                   PSC0QE-05603DEN Serial Number                 ZB063088K OS Version                    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  64-bit  6.1.7601   Service Pack 1 BIOS Version                  1.80 CPU                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU       M 370  @ 2.40GHz Physical Memory               6144MB RAM Hard Disk Capacity            639,714,189,312 [Byte]   595.780 [GB] Hard Disk Free Space Capacity 507,721,076,736 [Byte]   472.852 [GB] Video                         Intel(R) HD Graphics   version=8.15.10.2189 Screen Resolution             1366 x 768 Pixels Color Quality                 True Color (32 Bit) Sound                         Realtek High Definition Audio   version=6.0.1.6167 Network                       Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller   version=7.46.610.2011   MAC Address=                               Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC   version=1005.8.1101.2010   MAC Address=74:smileyvery-happy:E:2B:FC:1A:B3 Modem                         None Internet Explorer             9.0.8112.16421 IDE Device                    TOSHIBA MK6475GSX                               TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633J   FW version=TF03

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Your machine is a U.K. machine and you should try the Toshiba U.K. website for help and driver downloads. 

I suggest you try next, however, uninstalling TVAP (Toshiba Value Added Package), restart the computer and reinstall the TVAP you get from the U.K. site.

If that doesn't work, try a System Reset. Remove all attachments to the computer and remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 15 seconds.  Reattach power and insert battery. Start computer and as it is starting at the Toshiba splash screen, press F2 to get into Setup.  Press F9 to reset system defaults.  Press F10 to save changes and exit and then answer yes to complete procedure.  The computer will restart.

Incidentally, apparently your FULL model number is C660-23M.  You should use that when requesting help on this or another forum.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
gabam

Re: Toshiba Satellite C660-23M PSC0QE Function keys not working?????

[ Edited ]

Yes, you are absolutely right, this laptop was purchased from UK. It's keyboard layout is a bit different, for instance, the key [2] has [ " ] printed on it, while [@] is printed on [ ' ] key. It had its default language as English UK, so I changed it to English US. Maybe that created this problem of function keys, do you think so? And I did a complete reinstall of TVAP, but it didn't work. Maybe I should go with the second technique that you pointed out. What does a system reset basically do, and what is the difference between a reset and the windows recovery feature that my laptop provides? And does this system reset change my windows configuration? Looking forward to your wonderful replies. And on thing more, the normal function keys are working, for example, F5 for refreshing the screen, F1 for help, F11 for full screening the page, F7 for caret browsing etc. The problem is that those secondary functions like volume, brightness etc are not working. And thank you very much for bearing with my questions.

Thanks in advance!

gabam

Problem Solved: Toshiba Satellite C660-23M PSC0QE Function keys not working?????

I think I just found out my silly mistake. For the function keys to work, i mean the secondary functions, my laptop provovides another key [FN], which has to be held to get the secondary functions working. This key [FN] is located right at the bottom, alongside the [ALT] and [Windows] keys.

Thanks for your wonderful replies, friends!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Problem Solved: Toshiba Satellite C660-23M PSC0QE Function keys not working?????

Yes! I mentioned that in my answer to your original post, gabam. In any event, glad all is well now.

C.B.

TDSwb

I have the same problem. I am pressing the FN key but it is not workig. previously it was working, but not now. by changing the flash card settings i'm able to use those by mouse by not by FN key . please send me solution

TDSwb

my laptop is satellite pro C660-16w

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

All my possible solutions are in the posts above. Since your machine is a U.K. model and this site is for U.S. machines, I suggest you get your support and driver downloads HERE.

C.B.

PhilSch

Having to press the FN key to use the F1-F12 keys is ruining my productivity!!!  This is the opposite of all my previous laptops, which use the FN key to access the brightness, etc.  I use the Fn keys all the time in software development, and it's very difficult to try to do it differently on this PC than on my others....

Is there any setting or driver or utility that will reverse this function - i.e., just pressing F5 will do the F5 function, but pressing FN + F5 will do the mouse enable/disable?   This would greatly help - thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite Pro C660-16W (PSC0ME-00N00SEN)

Having to press the FN key to use the F1-F12 keys is ruining my productivity!!!  ...  Is there any setting or driver or utility that will reverse this function - i.e., just pressing F5 will do the F5 function, but pressing FN + F5 will do the mouse enable/disable?  

Surprise to me that your laptop works that way. There is a change in the 800 series.

Function key changes in Satellite 800 series 

But I don't see any reference to it in your User's Manual (attached).

Can't hurt to check the BIOS for this setting.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

The operation he describes is explained and each F# key described starting on  page 5-1 of the User's Manual.  He is correct about the way his machine works and all Toshiba's prior to the 800 Series work that way.  As you know, starting with the  800 series, there is an alternate arrangement to use the F# keys without first having to hit the FN key.  Unfortunately a little late for the OP.:smileysad:

C.B.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

He is correct about the way his machine works and all Toshiba's prior to the 800 Series work that way. 

1. You and I are apparently reading that message differently..

Having to press the FN key to use the F1-F12 keys..

2. Just noticed that's Phil's first post. We don't know what computer he has!

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Yep! I hadn't noticed either.  Was reading the thread title and assumed a C660 since he piggy-backed on a C660 thread. If he's still interested, he needs to post HIS complete model number as in my examples below.

I'm assuming that he is talking about having to hit FN+F# to get the action that the F# key is programmed for.  Prior to the 800 series, that is the only option.  Starting with the 800 series, you can select the option of activating a F# key WITHOUT holding down the FN key.  That selection is in HWSetup or BIOS.

BTW, in the 800 series with the option to not require the FN to activate F#, I wonder what happens now with F2 for Setup, F8 for Recovery Options and F12 for Boot Options?  I'm going to pull up one of the 800 series User's Guide and see if this is addressed.

C.B.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'm assuming that he is talking about having to hit FN+F# to get the action that the F# key is programmed for. 

As I said, it appears to me that he cannot reach the Fx key itself without using Fn.

My best guess is that he has one of the 800 series.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

With regard to the last paragraph in my last post,  I've looked all through an 800 series User's Guide and could find no reference to F2 for Setup and F12 for Boot Options.

However, it did refer to still using F8 to get the Advanced Boot Options menu.  And under the new arrangement, F8 in normal use is "Fast Forward".  So my assumption is that F2, F8, and F12 DURING the boot process mean what they always have and during "Normal" operations, mean their new assignments.  BTW, under the new arrangement, F2 is screen brightness, F8 is Fast Forward and F12 is  Wireless on/off.

C.B.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

I guess we just should have waited to see what model he's talking about!  Sure would have saved some time.  :smileylol:

C.B.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I didn't realize it was somebody new when I responded. Be nice if newcomers would start a new thread - and also not assume we can read their minds about the computer and so forth.

What is Fast Forward?

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Fast Forward the CD /DVD player.  F7 is Play/Pause and F5 is Reverse.  They really messed up the F# key assignments vis a vis prior models!

C.B.