AishaKeller

Toshiba Satellite C55-A5201 Touch Pad mouse will not Function

Hello,

I currently have the Toshiba Satellite C55-A5201 Lap top in my possession. On January 17, 2014 The computer was working, everything was going as smooth as it can.  Then I left fro drill on January 11th and 12th  On the morning of January 13th when I opened back up my laptop, I noticed the Touch pad on the mouse is not working correctly.  Nothing has been spilled on it, It has not been dropped, and I tried pushing the Disable and Enable mouse button on the top of the keyboard.  On this particular brand the Disable touch pad and Enable touch pad option is on the F5 key and I have TRIED pressing it on and off but to no avail.  The mouse recognizes my fingers moving on the pad for about a split second then stops.  It will high light other areas on the screen or will Scroll Down items or Links or Icons.  But the mouse itself will not move at all.  

What should I do? I cannot Afford another computer, nor another mouse touch pad on this laptop. I have a USB mouse, but I feel more comfortable using the touch pad.  

Suggestions are much needed.

blurplepepel

Re: Toshiba Satellite C55-A5201 Touch Pad mouse will not Function

Hi Aisha,

Just follow the steps on these video and test the touchpad after the laptop reboots.

AishaKeller

This method worked for just a couple of seconds, then the mouse started to act up once more.  It allows me to scroll up and down the page as if I was moving my finger Up and Down to the side of the touchpad mouse.  But that is it.  It will not let me move my mouse on the Touchpad. 

blurplepepel

Try to configure and troubleshoot  the touchpad settings by following this video. By the way this video is for Win8. Did you upgrade the OS to 8.1 before the touchpad issue happen?

AishaKeller

So Once I left to head to work and came back, the Mouse Pad suddenly began to Work.  I have not yet watched the Video to trouble shoot the problem.  So the Mouse Touch Pad was working fine.... until this morning its back to the same thing. Its quality switches on and off and I dont understand what is going on. The Mouse Touchpad keeps acting like a Scroller instead of a mouse pad. 

AishaKeller

Ok again I have tried about everything.  The mouse would move for just a tad bit, and the freeze up again.  When I move my finger across the pad it ends up moving or Scrolling, but the MOUSE itself will NOT MOVE.  I don't know what else to do.  The Mouse is Enabled, the Mouse is on original default settings.  Ive TRIED pressing FN over and over and nothing has happened.  Please, can I get some more insite on what to do? Ive tried to download a driver but my Google Chrome wont even function properly for me to do so. I have a feeling that wont even work. >.< ANY other suggestions? Please answer. Ive been watching this forum with no reply for a couple of hours now. 

kalii

I have the same problem with a Toshiba Satellite C55-A5285.  This happened a week or two ago and I reinstalled the drivers.  It happened again starting yesterday where if I rebooted, the cursor would move for 5-30 seconds then freeze.  I tried:  (1) power reset with pulling battery out; (2) multiple reboots; (3) doing the system settings by hitting F2 on the Toshiba splash screen in the start-up phase (then F9 and F10).  None of those worked.  I just managed to get to the control panel and do a full system restore and that seems to be working, but I worry when the computer automatically updates (as I've been getting pings about Toshiba updates), it is going to die again.  I'm reading all over the boards that other Toshiba Laptops are having the same problem with the track pad.

Toshiba please, have you identified the glitch and come up with a permanent fix?

JulianJJ

My Toshiba Satellite C55-A-1N1 has a very similar problem. 

1. Sometimes the mouse pad functions as though it's set to scroll the page up and down instead of moving the mouse arrow, which stays in the same place.

2. Sometimes the mouse pad just doesn't seem to work at all.  I try pressing F5, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

3. Sometimes (more frequently recently) the page suddenly scrolls down to the bottom.  If I use the scroll bar at the side of the screen to scroll it up again, it usually zips straight down to the bottom again, as if it's on elastic.

Any answers?  Seems to be a software or hardware issue - ?

skipgundlach

I just got this new laptop, and have read several threads about this issue.

In my case, it was dead-bang simple; others may not have this success.

In my mail program, I used to press f-5 and/or ctl-m to fetch mail.  Now there's an icon at the top of the page to click, and those others have no effect (migrating from Outlook Express to Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail, all of which look "sort of" alike - but they're not).

Oops.  Turns out the f5 has a mouse and a mouse - slash on it.  That is to say, it now toggled the touchpad.  Pushed that and suddenly my mouse pad returned.

As that was only a few minutes ago, I can't promise that's the extent of it, but it certainly seems likely, given the labeling of the key.  I toggled it several times in the course of writing this reply, so at least for that many times, it behaved consistently.

I first tried it with the Fn key, which didn't work.  That's when I noted the labeling of the f5 key, and the rest is history, so to speak.

L8R

Skip