chrisetienne

Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050-Media buttons/Keyboard light not working

All of the media buttons above the keyboard and the light above the touchpad would always be lit up. The only time the touchpad light would be off was when I disabled the touchpad.  Everything works fine, but I am wondering why none of the lights are ever on anymore. Is there a setting I may have changed that anyone knows of? Has anyone had the same problem?

thanks

JustaGuy

Re: Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050-Media buttons/Keyboard light not working

I have this computer since Thurs 8/19/2010 and I have this problem.  When I use the FN Z keys, the flash cards come up and I can change the setting but nothing happens.  Also if I push the LED button I hear the tone, it flashes off for second but then comes back on... So I can't turn off the LED lights and I can't turn on the keyboard lights... This happened literally after the second time I turned it on and after I tried the eco mode.

In the Eco Utility screen it lists the LED as on and the keyboard light as off so it knows that it is off, and staying off but no matter what I can't get it back on.

PLease help!!!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A665-S6050

Some report success after jumping through these hoops.

With the battery and AC adapter removed, close the Power switch for half-a-minute.

Re-attach those, press the Power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed. Press F9 to restore the BIOS default settings, press F10, and then select Yes (Exit Saving Changes). The computer will restart.

-Jerry
hoffcs

I'm having the same problem with the very same computer. I followed your advice Jerry and the mousepad light came on as well as the media buttons much to my delight. However, just when the hard-drive finally finishes spinning and windows is completely loaded then the lights go off again! Any suggestions?

sjafari

This is an issue for me as well. I have the A665-S5170. It's my second one I returned it due to that issue and apparantly its the Windows Update that's causing it.

All the Toshiba reps are useless as well. Such a big proble and no one knows how to fix it.

Toshiba needs to step up their crap and fix these issues.

What the hell is going on?

otherjoe

tried it... no luck

Jziyn

Hiya,

I've got a Toshiba Satellite A665-S5170, too, and I tried Jerry's fix and it worked for me.  I unplugged the power, did a hard shut down using the power button.  Waited for  a minute or so and turned it back on.  Hit F2 when the logo came up, hit F9 clicked a couple of yes's, hit the key to save and close.  It restarted and boom...everything came back up.

Thanks, Jerry!  Not sure why it's not working for anyone else, but it did for me.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy it worked for you. Thanks for letting us know.

-Jerry
FitzerFitz

[ Edited ]

I just bought a Toshiba Satellite A-665-S5071 from Best Buy two weeks ago and up until this morning I was able to toggle LED illumination On/Off using the LED touch button between the wireless and the play/pause button.   I have not idea what i did or what happened but now the LED illumination will not go off with that button and this model does not have the LED Illumination tab in HWSetup menu window tabs.    

I also tried Jerry's solution of hard powering off the laptop, removing AC and battery, rebooting into BIOS set up with F2 and F9 to reset default settings and yes to save and start....did not work for me.

Also tried changing LED Illumination to "Off" setting in BIOS options under power management heading....that will not save my setting as "off"  when i go back after restarting it's right back to "On" setting again.    Apparently changes to BIOS are somehow disabled.

This is disturbing to me because i'm sitting at the computer between 10 and 12 hours a day for both work (home-based business) as well as socially/entertainment so the lights get pretty aggravating after long periods....please please if anyone can help me figure out how to be able to turn these lights on and off i will GREATLY appreciate it.

Also the button toggling touch pad enabled/disabled that appears right above the touch pad LED bar no longer works and it had been working previously. 

The Geek Squad at Best Buy looked at me like i was from another planet:  they insisted the only way to turn off LED illumination was by going into Eco Utility mode....even thought i told them i've been turning off the LED illumination with the touch button in the middle of the LED touch light bar since i bought it from them on April 11th.    So if you have this problem,  you may not get saavy help from Geek Squad on this particular issue.  I sure didn't. 

Again, any help would be appreciated before these white LED permanently burn into my retinas....thank you!

Sean 

kprice415

Had the same problem but after clicking on the touch bar beside the power button, there is a button with an arrow in a box. Click that and the background lights come on. Click it again and they all turn off.

arcee_blink

Eversince I upgraded to the Bios version 2.00 my media control for the eco utility and kyboard lights won't work. That is the first thing I noticed. Made me regret ever upgrading the BIOS. is there a way for me to revert to the old one?

Raggedy

I had same issue. I looked for eco utility on my A665 and couldn't find it. So I started up My Toshiba, Toshiba application installer, and I installed the eco utility. Still no lights but I have a new icon in the tray called toshiba eco utility. Right click this icon and start utility. Still no lights. Clicked on start eco mode, then clicked on turn off eco mode. All of a sudden my lights are on again. I am also running version 2.00 bios.
thew

@Jerry~ Thanks a million for that fix. It did not work the first try on my laptop, but on the second time through I noticed something about lights that was marked off in the menues. I don't recall which one exactly it was, but I think I noticed it just after pressing the f9 button. I manually toggled that on and problem solved. Now I jsut have to remember how to turn the loud beep off when I use my media buttons. Again, thanx a million! Now I can sleep with the lights off again since I can see the buttons at night!

Brother Thew

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

thew wrote: I noticed something about lights that was marked off in the menues.

Take a look here.

Start > All Programs > Toshiba > Utilities > HWSetup > Illumination tab

-Jerry
bmelton

I have a Toshiba Satellite A665 and warranty runs out next month.  For the last two months I have been having problems with the keyboard.  Two keys in particular, the letter R and the letter Y don't respond to normal pressure.  You have to hit them repeatedly, sometimes really firmly to get them to work.

I have been through the reboot deal to reset the BIOS every time I start the computer.  The process only helps for a short time.  If the screen saver engages or if the computer idles for a few minutes the problem usually returns.

I have also bought a new keyboard after speaking with a Toshiba Rep, (at my expense) and tried that.  The problem still persists.

Toshiba reps want me to send the computer in for a minimum of two-weeks for repair, etc.  I can't do that.

Ideas?

sboyakhchyan

Hello 

I have the same problem, BIOS version is 2.00. Las two days i noticed that led buttons don`t work. After switching on them in BIOS they didn`t work. Please correct it and provide with new BIOS version. I need it cause i can`t return it back as i`m not in USA.

Lgbvirus

I got problems with my media buttons from laptop A505-6033 Satellite. The eco utility, media and mute button was not working. I tried to unistall de TVAP (Toshiba Value Added Package) for Windows 7/Vista (64) but the uninstall can't be completed. When I tried toinstall the newst version, I got a error (Interruption wizard...something like that).

Than a deleted the past TVAP from my toshiba folder, but even this ways I was not able to procede with a new instalation of TVAP. The error "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, us Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel. {066CFFF8-12BF-4390-A673-75F95EFF188E}" apper every time a tried to re-install . The solution was the application "Diagnose and fix program installing and uninstalling problems automatically" from Microsoft website: "http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall". Than I just installed the TVAP and my media buttons work perfect now!

thew

Re: Media buttons/Keyboard light not working

I've had this issue several times, always when I accidentally bump that damned eco button. Anyhow, this is the easiest way I've found to fix it:

Go into your control panel > Open Power Options > click on the change settings button for your power plan choice > click on the change advanced power settings button

This should open up a pop out window. The second main folder option here is "Toshiba Power blah blah blah"

Hit the plus and you'll see the option to turn your LEDs on or off for both battery or tethered power settings. 

The only catch with this fix is that if you change the settings for the eco mode, you'll get a warning message saying the system has to default the settings to off for eco mode to work.

If your backlighting doesn't turn on when you apply this fix, try resetting your system and they should return to normal.

Cheers.

Tigg38

I tried as Jerry suggested and had the same problem as another poster.  The lights came on for a second, but went off again.  I noticed someone said that it could have been caused by a Windows update.  If this is true, then possibly there is a patch for it.  I checked for any new Windows updates and I had two that needed to be downloaded.  After updating my computer and restarting it normally, I am proud to say all is working perfectly again.

So, check to see if you have any outstanding Windows updates that need to be downloaded :smileyhappy:

Hope it works for you!  ~Lana

chuckatclevelan

Just push the Function button and then the Z.  This should fix the problem