Pcenginefx

Toshiba Portege R500 touchpad jumps around!

I just got a Toshiba Portege R500 and it is almost unusable as the touchpad jumps around when I type and I need to use it for work and have already "accidentally" sent unfinished emails because of this ridiculous problem.  I know I can use an external mouse but really this should have been fixed *before* it was released to the market in the first place.

So my question is - is there ANY fix (software update...BIOS update.....etc) or even a hardware hack to fix this?  Is the touchpad too sensitive?  Thanks for any help.

-Aaron

Regular Advisor
Squall_Rinoa89

Re: Toshiba Portege R500 touchpad jumps around!

Pcenginefx wrote:

I just got a Toshiba Portege R500 and it is almost unusable as the touchpad jumps around when I type and I need to use it for work and have already "accidentally" sent unfinished emails because of this ridiculous problem.  I know I can use an external mouse but really this should have been fixed *before* it was released to the market in the first place.

So my question is - is there ANY fix (software update...BIOS update.....etc) or even a hardware hack to fix this?  Is the touchpad too sensitive?  Thanks for any help.

-Aaron

Is it jumping around because your typing on it? Have you turned off the touch pad while typing???

ex Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q701 Owner
Toshiba Satellite A665-3DV10 Owner
PSN: Squall_Rinoa89
I DON'T SUGAR COAT STUPIDITY
Pcenginefx

I can't be expected to turn on and off the touchpad each time I want to type.  This is not only a hindrance, but totally ridiculous.  Many other laptops work perfectly fine with touchpads, but because of poor testing/QA on Toshiba's part we have this problem which we shouldn't have in the first place.

I don't know about you, but when I buy a product I expect it to work without resorting to workarounds just to use the basic functions.  I'm not touching the touchpad when I type - I'm not brushing the touchpad with my sleeve...nothing is touching the touchpad and yet when I type the mouse will jump around the screen.  There is a manufacturing/software defect here and it isn't user error.

Regular Advisor
Squall_Rinoa89

Pcenginefx wrote:

I can't be expected to turn on and off the touchpad each time I want to type.  This is not only a hindrance, but totally ridiculous.  Many other laptops work perfectly fine with touchpads, but because of poor testing/QA on Toshiba's part we have this problem which we shouldn't have in the first place.

I don't know about you, but when I buy a product I expect it to work without resorting to workarounds just to use the basic functions.  I'm not touching the touchpad when I type - I'm not brushing the touchpad with my sleeve...nothing is touching the touchpad and yet when I type the mouse will jump around the screen.  There is a manufacturing/software defect here and it isn't user error.

I had the same problem with my HP Laptop a year ago. I had to hit the FN key and disable the mouse when i wanted to type because if not the mouse would jump around the scrren.
ex Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q701 Owner
Toshiba Satellite A665-3DV10 Owner
PSN: Squall_Rinoa89
I DON'T SUGAR COAT STUPIDITY
Occasional Advisor
Techman

Just follow this and set it up the way you like.

Mouse curser jumps

This signature left intentionally blank.