stonema

Synaptics Pointing Device not working...

It quit working for me today and I dont know what to do! Are there any downloads I can use to make it work again?? Please someone help me!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Synaptics Pointing Device not working...

Always give the complete model designation of your computer.

On Toshiba machines, you can often toggle the touchpad off and on using Fn + F9.

-Jerry
stonema

I just tried that and it didnt work... =\
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You don't want to give us the model number of your machine?
-Jerry
stonema

Satellite A205-S5853?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

tata

My Synaptics touchpad was working properly until recently. A few weeks ago, something happened.

I have a Toshiba Sattelite A215.

I cannot turn off the tapping feature, in fact, I cannot see the Synaptics Pointing Device even listed in the control panel.

I have seen many other people complaining of this same problem.  It is so frustrating.

Apparently, the most recent driver update is corrupted.  I hope someone notifies Toshiba of this and sends out a corrected update soon.

To fix the problem, find an older version of the driver and install that.  But first disable automatic updates so the newer one does not install again, or you will have the problem again.

After installing the working driver, you should see an icon in the taskbar.  Also you should be able to find the device in the control panel under Mouse.

Good luck.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Hi tata,

Are you saying the most recent driver from support.toshiba.com is bad, or one that you got from another source (e.g. Windows Update)? I suspect the latter, since your recommend turning off automatic updates.

If from support.toshiba.com, can you tell me the filename that was downloaded?

Thanks,

Jim

Bert

FN+F9 did it.  I was trying to adjust the brightness (in the dark) and must have mashed this key once.

Thanks.