pdr1966

Suddenly keys don't work

Periodically, as I am typing on my brand new laptop P755-S5265 (Win 7), suddenly the keys do not type (e.g. I am typing but no letters appear on the screen).  It is as if the keyboard is locked.  I don't know what combination of keys I am pressing to make this occur, but I have to reboot the machine (or switch users) to restore the ability to type.  Any clues as to what I may be doing to cause this to happen? 

I have checked that "sticky keys" are not activated nor are any other special features for the keyboard.  I press ESC when this happens - to no avail. Many thanks for any help/clues!

Saads

Re: Suddenly keys don't work

Hi , I have had my N305 Notebook since Feb 2011 and now I am getting problems with my keyboard. On some days, my 'd' key does not work, now it is my 'e' key and my 'a' key only works with the right shift key to capitalize. this is causing problems with passwords and writing!!! help!! what to do?

dezpez

I am having this same issue with my Sattelite p750.  The keys randomly stop working properly and the only way I can get it to stop is to restart or switch user.  This is possibly one of the most irritating issues I have ever encountered and the laptop is less than 3 months old.  

karindelin

I have exactly the same problem with my Satellite L755-S5244.  I am going merrily along and then the keyboard randomly stops working.  In addition, on occasion the touchpad and the buttons below it will stop working.  The only solution is to reboot the computer and loose what you're working on.  I actually "restored" my computer to factory condition, completely losing everything on the computer (wasn't much, I only had it a few weeks), but the problem continued, and got worse.  I called the help number and after insulting me as if I could not tell the difference between a restore point and resetting the system to factory condition the guy took my email and said they would send me instructions on how to return the computer for repair.  That's been a couple of weeks ago, not a word.  I really do not want to have to send my computer in, I would like to fix this and get on with life. I think I will just return it, I have barely had it a month.  It is slower than the old computer I have at the office with a fraction of the memory.  AARRGGHH....................

snappykat

Re: Suddenly keys don't work - Keyboard Locks Up P750

I got my P750 (PSAY3U-0wg03h) in March 2012.  I loaded MS Office and Adobe Photoshop.  My keyboard locked up on a regular basis, but without any rhyme or reason.  The only way to get it to work is to completely reboot.  

I called Toshiba support and was told

1. to remove the battery, the power cord, and let it sit and then reboot. and 2, to keep the battery out of the laptop.  I have to say it worked better (less lock ups) without the battery but no idea why.  

I called support again because I wanted a real fix and I was told to remove all my software and reinstall from the ground up.  I did this and did not load any extra software other than google chrome.  The problem existed but occurred less frequently.  Everytime it occurs, I have to reboot the computer.  

I updated the bios that was released in July. The keyboard lock up issue occurred less frequently but still occurred.  A new issue began to happen: When I use my browser, a page can have an address in the address bar but does not load, OR if it loads, the page is frozen, I cannot click on anything or navigate on the page.  I reload the page 10, 20, 30 times and sometimes after a while I can navigate on it and sometimes I just give up.  

I searched for Windows updates that might improve the situation.  They had a fix in SP1 for Windows 7 64-bit so I applied that.  No improvement.  Keyboard still locks up randomly. 

Decided to add Office again because I need it.  No worse, but no improvement.

Anyone have any ideas?