Kaycee15

Special Function Mode doesn't function

I just bought a Toshiba C870. In HW Setup, the default setting for the F1-F12 keys is Special Function Mode, which is my preferred setting, but I still have to use Fn with these keys in order to use their secondary featues, such as volume, wifi on/off, screen brightness, etc. I changed the setting to Standard F1-F12 Mode, just to see what that would do (maybe the opposite of what it should?), but after rebooting there is no change on my keyboard. I am currently rebooted back to Special Function Mode, but still have to use the Fn key. So basically, I can't get it out of Standard F1-F12 Mode no matter which option I select...not the end of the world, but kind of annoying.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Special Function Mode doesn't function

[ Edited ]

Interesting, Kaycee. We regulars on here just found out a couple of weeks ago that there was this option in the new 800 series Satellites.  So, I'm flying blind here but have a few suggestions.

1.  When you make your selection in HWSetup, do you close the window by hitting Apply and OK?  Don't be offended by my asking. What even brings that question to mind is that I and others have made the mistake of closing such windows without hitting Apply.:smileyembarrassed:

2.  If that's not the problem, try a System Reset. Turn off computer. Remove all attachments and battery. Press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds.  Attach Power and insert battery.  Start computer and tap F2 at the Toshiba splash screen to get in BIOS.  Press F9 to setup system defaults. Answer Yes. Press F10 to Save Configuration Changes and Exit.  Answer Yes to complete the process.  The computer will restart.

3.  If that doesn't do the job,  try going back into BIOS Setup and looking for the BIOS setting that controls that function.  I can't be more specific for you since I don't have your model machine to look at.  The setting is probably under a Heading like Advanced and maybe even a sub-heading like System Configuration.  You will have to look around on your own.  Hint, navigating in BIOS Setup is by the keyboard arrow keys, F keys and Enter. If you find and make the change there, be sure and Exit Saving Changes. The mouse is not used.

4.  If still no luck, you will have to give me your complete Model info as in my examples below so I can get a certain driver for reinstallation.  Hopefully, we won't have to go that far.

Good Luck!

C.B.

P.S.  Be sure and let us know the outcome and what worked for you, if anything.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Philtothetop

My Satellite L875D has exact same problem. I would like to know if reset will fix it. I have a few days left to return it if necessary. Really this is not a major problem. Also for me the function "flash cards" don't show up on the screen
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

If you have "the exact same problem", try the exact same solutions I gave the OP. The reset may fix it or it may not.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Kaycee15

Thanks C.B. 

Don't worry, I wasn't offended by Point 1 :smileyhappy: I did select Apply and Ok, but nothing happened, which drove me to search out this forum. I followed Points 2 & 3 exactly as you described, but still nothing. The BIOS default setting was also Special Function Mode, as expected, but obviously doesn't actually work.

My model info is below. If you can come up with some other suggestions, I'll test them out, but don't worry about it too much...life will go on.

Toshiba Satellite C870D-00G Windows 7 HP SP1 64-Bit

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C870D-00G

Not butting in here, KC. Just offering a link to your stuff. Bookmark it.

-Jerry
Philtothetop

The suggestions didn't work for me either. I will try anything else. I am taking it to the store to see if tech support can do anything

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear we're not there yet Kaycee (and Phil).  There are a couple of other things we can do but first, if you haven't already, please read your User's Manual starting on page 3-2 all about the Function and Hot Key operation.

Download and install TVAP (Toshiba Value Added Package) which controls portions of the Function Key operation. If the installation wizard asks if you want to uninstall first, answer Yes; otherwise, don't bother.

Download and install Toshiba HW Setup Utility. Same instructions as above.

If we haven't fixed it by now folks, I'm afraid you'll have to live with it unless you want to do a complete HDD recovery back to out-of-box which is the only option left.

BTW Kaycee, please tell us EXACTLY where in the BIOS you found the Function Key setting--what Heading and/or sub-Heading.

Good Luck.

C.B.

FYI to Jerry and Peter.  Unlike the U.S. Satellite 800 series, this Canadian counterpart does NOT have the Support Bulletin (called Technical Bulletin by them) that describes the new Function Key arrangement.  However, their User's Guide does discuss it in detail and doesn't say available in certain models only.

C.B.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Unlike the U.S. Satellite 800 series, this Canadian counterpart does NOT have the Support Bulletin (called Technical Bulletin by them) that describes the new Function Key arrangement.  However, their User's Guide does discuss it in detail and doesn't say available in certain models only.

Thanks for checking that Canadian manual, CB.

It applies to KC, but we don't know yet which computer Phil has.

-Jerry
Philtothetop

Thanks Guys, I have the L875D-S7232 with Windows 7 SP1 / AMD A8-4500M / 17.3" screen
Philtothetop

L875D-S7232 / Windows 7 SP1 HP-64bit / AMD A8-4500M / 17.3" screen
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Phil, all the details for your machine are located HERE.  The TVAP for your machine is HERE.  The HW Setup Utility is HERE.  And the User's Guide is HERE and the Function keys are covered starting on page 83.

Otherwise, my prior posts apply to your problem.  If you have occasion to post here again on a different subject, please start your own thread rather than piggy back on another which gets confusing to us old farts on here trying to help.  :smileyvery-happy:

Good Luck!

C.B.

C.B.

ACCPresidentLB

Hello Gentlemen, I'm new to this forum. I was researching the forums for possible solutuons to an issue I'm having w/ my new Satellite L875D-S7232 Notebook when I came across this thread. I just wanted to support the fact that this issue with the Special Function Mode is NOT isolated to these 2 machines Phil & Kaycee have. I have the exact same model that Phil has & have the same issue and another. I also have the same issue regarding the Flash Cards. Keep in mind these issues aren't important to me at all, but the issue I was researching is the fact that my machine "hangs up" during the boot-up of Windows 7 HP SP1 whenever I DON'T have the AC cord plugged in. This only happens when I am running on the battery. I have formatted the HD, partitioned, & installed my actual version of Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 to remove all bloatware, & install strictly the drivers for the machine, & with no success. Since I am still in my 14 day return time window, I'm just going to have it replaced or refund my money. I bring this to mind in case anyone else has came across the same issues with this model which would suggest this model may not have been ready for release for retail, rather just isolated "oppss" in a single machine.
wpopescu

FOUND!!!!

I had the same problem and what I found... I that kind of guys who disable as much as possible on the startup. Thus, I have desabled the application responsibile for teh FN key.

Do the following (for win8):

Task Manager

start up items

enable all toshiba apps and services

restart

voila!

kylenf14

I have a Satellite L855D-S5117 with the same problem. The BIOS has no affect on my function keys when I switch between Special Function Mode and Standard F1-F12 Mode. It's stuck in standard.