Regular Contributor
PRR
Accepted Solution

[Solved] Synaptic Touchpad not working

[ Edited ]

Today, I noticed my touchpad no longer works. Whether the mouse is plugged in or not, moving my fingers on the touchpad will not get the cursor to do anything. At least two USB mouses do work, however. Device manager says that driver is ok. I uninstalled anyways; the Toshiba site for my laptop gave me the old driver to d/l, which I did and installed. Rebooted, and still same problem. 

I used the flash card and pressed Fn+F9. It has the touchpad as enabled.

Any suggestions? 

Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5218
AMD A6-3400M Quad-Core CPU
8 gigs RAM
Windows 7
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Synaptic Touchpad not working

Try the following in order:

1.  Turn computer off.  Remove all attachments and the battery. Press power button for 15 seconds.  Replace power connection and battery.  Start Computer and press F2 at the Toshiba splash screen to get into Setup.  Press F9 to reset defaults. Press F10 to save changes and exit and answer yes to complete.  Computer will restart.

2.   If that doesn't work, do a System Restore back to a day when the touchpad was working.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Regular Contributor
PRR

Great! Thanks a lot. Solution 1 worked. 

I see a LOT of touchpad problems in this forum today.... I wonder why this has become a problem as of late. Oh well the green arrow should alert folks to a solution. I'll edit the thread title to be "solved" if I can.

Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5218
AMD A6-3400M Quad-Core CPU
8 gigs RAM
Windows 7
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Your edit worked so it is marked Solved and, yes, it does seem to be catching. Thanks for letting us know what worked for you.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
fujikawa

Hi,

Thank you so much for this fix! It gets my trackpad working again, but my problem is I end up having to do this one or two times a day because the trackpad periodically dies on me (and it's not the FN+F9 problem, the trackpad is enabled the whole time).. Any ideas on why my keeps freezing/dying? It usually comes back after the restart/F2/f9/f10 solution (a few times I've had to do it twice or the trackpad comes back if I leave my computer off and alone for a little bit)

I've done a System Restore to no avail.

Using Windows 7 (Home) Toshiba Satelitte L740 i5-2430M PU @ 2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM 64-bit

Thanks in advance for your help!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

I need your COMPLETE model number like mine shown below found on a label on the back of your machine. If your machine is not a U.S. model, also include the part number from the same label.  When you reply with that, do this also while the TouchPad is working.  Go to Device Manager, double click on Mice and other pointing devices and tell me what's listed there.

C.B.

fujikawa

Thanks for the quick response.. The Label on my machine reads Satellitte L740 <ES5.0> Part No. PSK0YU - 0EQ02K

As for the Mice and other pointing devices: Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad. The driver is 15.2.11.1 (from 2/3/2011).. I had tried rolling back the driver, which didn't help, so I re-updated.. 

Thanks! 

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

The only other thing we can do that you've maybe not done without going for a full recovery is try the driver shown below which is probably the OEM one you have . However, try it anyway. Uninstall the current one using Control Panel and then download and install this one:

L740 Synaptics Driver

C.B.

P.S. Please double check this part of the model number:  <ES5.0>. I've never seen anything like that. And is this a Mexico or Latin America machine by any chance?

C.B.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L740 (PSK0YU-0EQ02K)

In the same part-number family (PSK0YU) as this one.

Satellite L740-ST6N01 (PSK0YU-0D602K)

So the downloads here should work for your model.

The Synaptics TouchPad Driver given you by CB is correct.

-Jerry
fujikawa

Thank you both for the help! I'll try the driver. I'll have to report back later on how it worked, since its been a little unpredictable when the mouse will freeze, but I'll let y'all know!

As for the country of the computer's orgin, I'm not sure - I got it from Toshiba online in the US. I actually always assumed it was a US machine, but now not so sure.. 

Thanks!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Good Luck!, fujikawa.

C.B.

C.B.

Skye_Nicole

Thank you for the fix! My touch pad was working just not correctly and I did what you said and it now works! It would scroll and move just fine but when I tried to pinch it just kept scrolling. Thanx again! :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
eabbassian

Hi All, (and think Jerry is here again), I had to reset the BIOS again because of the backlit keyboard, but now my touchpad is not scrolling *sigh*...any suggestiong, b/c reseting the BIOS didn't do anything. Thanks!

rws100

My touchpad also does not work.  I  tried your suggestion and it did not work.  I have a Satellite P505D S8007 model.  Any other suggestions?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Please don't piggy-back on old existing threads. Start your own thread in the future. Assuming you are talking about my suggestions, they were just that, multiple, not a single suggestion.  If you have truly tried ALL the suggestions I gave in this thread, all I can do for you further is suggest reinstalling TVAP (Toshiba Value Added Package).

And in doing the above, you will need to reinstall the TouchPad Driver.

C.B.

pragnyajha

Thnx ur following solution worked...

" Turn computer off.  Remove all attachments and the battery. Press power button for 15 seconds.  Replace power connection and battery.  Start Computer and press F2 at the Toshiba splash screen to get into Setup.  Press F9 to reset defaults. Press F10 to save changes and exit and answer yes to complete.  Computer will restart. "

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Glad it worked for you.  How's that for a quick 20 minute solution? I just read your other post.:smileyvery-happy:

C.B.

fujikawa

Hi y'all,

Just wanted to come back with an update. the "restart, unplug everything, hold down down for 15 seconds, etc and resetting defaults" does work, but its a temporary fix for me. usually the touchpad will freeze again after a couple of days of use. I switched over to using a USB mouse because I got tired of my mouse dying during presentations at work and having to shut everything down just to have it die again a couple days later at an in. not sure what the larger problem is, but its good to have a temporary fix....

thanks!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

We're sorry to hear it wasn't a permanent solution but thank you for reporting back.

C.B.

Vickstar714

Thanks so much!

The first solution worked straight away. :smileyvery-happy:

Don't suppose you know what may of caused this? I had actually lent my laptop to a friend and they had brought it back to me with the mouse not working, so I have no idea if there was an error message or anything?

Thanks again!