qweqwe

Satellite L505 - Keyboard problems

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I'm new here (actually my 1st post) but I can't take it anymore with this keyboard issues.

I have Windows 7 (it came with the laptop), and the rest of the config I don't think it's necessary to put here.

Everytime I type fast not all the letters appear on the screen, it's like I'm misspelling  and always have to backspace and type again.

It started in the 2nd week after I got my laptop, sometimes it's OK (it doesn't do this) but sometimes is unbelievable annoying.

Some advices would really be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

(took me like 5mins to write this message due to backspacing and backspacing)

satellite L505
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite L505 - Keyboard problems

What happens in Safe Mode?

Start your computer in safe mode

Which Satellite L505?

-Jerry
woodch

I have this same issue with my laptop after upgrading to Windows7 64-bit.  I have a Satellite A215-5837, and this problem occurred with the Windows7 Beta as well.

With the beta, I solved the issue by installing a Toshiba driver that replaced a default Microsoft driver, but now that I'm running an official Windows7 version (after a clean install), I can't remember which driver solved my issue.  I've tried running the Toshiba Windows7 driver installer package from the support downloads, but that didn't solve this specific issue.

I have also replaced the Synaptic touchpad driver with an older (but better) Alps driver to restore my scroll bar areas, and to make other settings/options available in the touchpad control panel, but the problem with the keyboard persists through all these changes.

Nothing in Task Manager seems to be stealing cpu cycles, and apart from typing being a major pain in the same way as the above customer (having to backspace and correct for missing characters--sometimes as many as several words), the laptop works great.  I can play movies over Netflix without issue.  I can listen to online radio streams.  I can play games.  But if I'm chatting on IRC or with an IM client, I constantly have to monitor my typing, and stop and/or backspace to let the computer "catch up".

As I said before, I have solved this once before, but between time and all the various things I tried to solve it the first time, I cannot recreate my solution this time around.  Please help!

anubikit

I am also having the same problem.  My keyboard had been working properly for a few months and then all of the sudden this week I have had problems.  When I type fast or slow, some of the letters that I type do no appear.  I have to go back and double check everything, it is getting really frustrating.  I don't know what the problem could be, but any possible solutions would be extremely appreciated. 

musicman2059

Bump.

IS there really no solution to this? When I got my L300 a little over a year ago it started doing this less than a month after I got it and it's been getting gradually worse ever since.

Regular Advisor
Defender

For the L505 series..generally the hardware is Synaptics Touch Pad Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)(v13.2.6.1; 09-29-2009; 28.62M)  If your running Win7.  It is hard to pinpoint what hardware you have unless we can obtain the full series number.
As for mixing Alps/Synaptics check the Mouse properties component to learn which is set to be the Primary unit.
Yes, using an external mouse will gain you usability interim wise.
musicman 2509.and others..trying a reinstall ofthe TVAP package for your present OS as this generally resets to default conbdition.
qweqwe

I found out about this :

1. shut down

2. remove battery

3. wait for 5-10mins

4. power up again.

seems to working for the moment, but everytime i get a new update from microsoft it goes crazy again.

satellite L505
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Instead of waiting for five to ten minutes, try it this faster way.

1. shut down

2. remove battery (and AC power)

3. press Start button for ten seconds

4. power up again.

-Jerry
Josephb76

Re: Satellite L505 - Keyboard problems POSSIBLE FOX

I have an L745 laptop and my keys were starting to screw up with certain  keys not displaying properly.

Surfed, researched, read everywhere and found nothing. And apparently Toshiba is not addressing this issue...which is why I am contacting Toshiba corporate this week to demand a fix.

that said... after being frustrated about this, I was willing to try anything.

THis worked for me... in Windows 7

goto Control Panel/Keyboard  and set your keybooard speed sliders all the way left (turn off).

Hit Apply.

that's it. I tried my keys moments later and the bad keys were now working (a,b ENTER) 

THe keyboard flow is still not 100% but it's better than what it was by  mile.

FYI...

Good Luck

acjames

We gave a new Satellite L505D to our son in college and after 2 months he was unable to type anything without extra letters, numbers, windows opening, closing - just crazy, erratic frustration.  Try inputting a password with this issue!!! The fixes our son got over the phone were not permanent- lasted a day or two so he would end up at the library using public computers daily. We were still under warranty but were close to a year by the time we got the computer home and was able to contact Toshiba ourselves. We were walked through phone support that also temporarily stopped the problem but couldn't fix the problem. Now the warranty is up so we were told we were on our own. We replaced the keyboard - nothing changed. We did a full hardware /software diagnostic - found nothing. Works fine with an external keyboard, but why have a laptop if you have to lug around an external keyboard. Now we have been told that it must need a new motherboard. This costs $350 according to Toshiba support - more than what the computer is worth I expect. 

So disappointed in the service that Toshiba has provided a loyal customer - this was our 4th Toshiba and unless we get satisfaction / help with this known issue ASAP, we and anyone who we talk to will never consider a Toshiba product again.

zzmel

I have the Satellite P875-S7200 17" laptop and generally I have the same problems with the keyboard.  If I don't watch what I am doing, sometimes which is quite frequently the insertion point moves around in between another word or sentence or paragraph and double characters appear as well.  This slows me down a lot.  I don't know if it is so sensitive, and the keyboard adjustment has to be fiddled with or what?  At this point the adjustments are in default mode which is normal.  I am using win 7 premium so most of the bugs should be fixed.  The keyboard itself has large keys and easy to type.  This problem should not be continuing all the time.  If I was typing a book, it would be very annoying.  I tried calling Toshiba and they wanted to charge me $99.00 to look into the problem because free support is no longer effective after 90 days.  Really! Toshiba should give the customer at least one year of free service.  I am certain, you would want the same.  Other than that, I cannot find anything else wrong so far with this computer.

zzmel