dreamliner
Accepted Solution

Satellite E305-S1990 Backlit Keyboard Backlighting No Longer Works

Greetings, my backlit keyboard no longer works. The lights do not turn on at all. Can anybody tell me how to fix this?

Thank you.

Regular Advisor
alexuw

Re: Satellite E305-S1990 Backlit Keyboard Backlighting No Longer Works

Try the "Fn" key.

Press "Fn" and a window at the top of the screen shoudl pop up.  Press the "key" that corresponds to the keyboard and select "Timer on" or "15 seconds".

Lets us know if that works.

========================================================
QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
i7-2630QM , GTX 460m , 18.4" screen @ 1680x945p
dreamliner

Greetings, no window pops up when I hit the function "FN" key. Nothing at all happens when I hit that key. Any other suggestions?

Regular Advisor
alexuw

[ Edited ]

I found a post that might help:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Technology/Enable-Fn-Key/td-p/63273

Basically, Jerry [from the above link] mentions there is a program named "Settings for Flash Cards", which is actually a program for the "Fn" keys [could have fooled me].  Can find it by: Start-->Toshiba--->Utilities

Let us know if that works.

**EDIT**

You may also beable to enable the "Backlighting" through the BIOS.  Restart the laptop and the key it says:  It displays very fast; I wish I could tell you the key but forgot.  It's F2 or F9, or something with a F-Key.

Good luck

QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
dreamliner

I have no "Toshiba"....so I cannot go to Start, Toshiba, or Start, All Programs, Toshiba, because that Toshiba is not there. Or anywhere for that matter.

And i cannot try the restart because i have no function keys on my computer to hit while starting. I have a function key 'fn' but no function keys. Any other suggestions?

Regular Advisor
alexuw

When you restart, it should display a bios option for a brief second.  It'll say to hit "F2" or "F9" to enter.  F2 and F9 are NOT part of the Fn keys.  They are located above the number keys.

In the BIOS, there should be a backlit keyboard option in one of the tabs.

Good luck and keep us updated.

QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
dreamliner

ok I found the solution, it is very simple. Simply click FN Z. Wow, wish I knew it was that simple.

jpostal

Can you expand on this solution?  I don't understand the process or it's not working for me.  Thanks

morrisdphm

Hi I am new to the forum but this issue realtes to me. Can anyone tell me if the Satellite A665-S6100x has a backlit keyboard, if not which models do have this?

Thanks

lmccat

[ Edited ]

The solution of hitting the FN + Z keys worked for me and I can now see the keys lit up on my keyboard.  Thank you so much!!!

By the way, I've got a Satellite P755-S5269 if this helps anyone else.

lauraleewinslow

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Lauralee--See page 93 of your User's Guide.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
powderman85

Re: backlight

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I have the Qosmio X505 Q8100 can the backlight be put on this model.....The reason I got it was cause of the back light and come to find out it may not even have it

I

daytimer

FN Z Yes, it will come up, but I've found NO way to change the timing of the keyboard light. Has anyone found out how to change the timer??? Daytimer
Allrightnow

You can change it in the BIOS settings (if that is the correct terminology). Whatever key you push as the computer is booting to get to those settings. I'm at work so I can't get to my machine to see where to go from there, but that's how I changed mine to stay on longer.

daytimer

I get the menu @ the top of the screen, showing the different chouces for the backlight....BUT it does not allow me to change the timing. It shows up with choices but no way to actually change the backlight from (1) second to (5) seconds. Seems funny the information shows but no way to change it...Any suggestions???

Daytimer

E_Tech

Reboot the laptop, be looking in the lower left corner as it starts up.

press F2 when you see it in the lower left corner.

this opens the boot menu, use the arrow keys and move over to "power management".

midway down the screen you will see "backlit keyboard" the next line will be the timer setting.

arrow down and highlite the timer value, usually 1, change this to the value you want.

press F10 to save and answer yes when asked to save. the machine will reboot.

press "FN & Z" to see if the timer value changed.

jquigly

FYI, Just got my used E305 today. I used to have an Apple MacBook Pro. Toshiba is trying hard to copy the Apple. Same thing on Apple, you have to press FN to get the function key. The odd thing is that Toshiba/Best Buy don't label keys as to WHICH function key it is, you just have to know. But there they are in groups of four, and for any bios you just have to know which one is the Function key you want. At bios time you can forget about the FN key and press the first function key for F1, second for F2, etc.

jquigly

Correction: the Keys Are labelled in a tiny font with gray invisible ink. I do most of my computing at night so didn't notice. I thought the light on FN was broken, but it's the same gray invisible ink. Why does FN not deserve backlight? A mystery.

Sithigh

I had that on my older E205. The Fn-Z key shortcut and backlight function is over-ridden by the power plan.

1) Plug in the charger/powersupply.

2) Hover over start bar and Double click battery icon.

3) Choose Balanced or High Power. Definately NOT Economy.

4) Only THEN will the screen light intensity and keyboard backlight should unlock.

After you get it working, you can check different battery modes and power plans. But, you'll waste your time if you don't get the power levels up first to comply with the hidden automatic settings.

Steve.