abourov
Accepted Solution

Reversing Function keys on the e305?

I have the new Toshiba Satellite e305 (that's the Best Buy model), and love it in general, BUT it has this feature of having the "Fn" key permenantly reversed -- so to get regular F1-F11 you actually have to hold the Fn key. I really hate this feature -- I wish there is some way to reverse it back -- it must be something software or bios settable -- I can't believe this would be in the hardware.

It's very hard to get around things like Alt-F4 and F3, F5 and F11 which I use all the time, where as I barely ever use the special function keys. Having to remember to press "Fn" every time I want to close a window or refresh a screen is a real pain. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

JRicher

Re: Reversing Function keys on the e305?

I had the exact same question. After investing a lot of time installing software and drivers and transferring files to my new laptop, I was motivated to find the answer because my court reporting software uses function keys extensively, and having to hit the Fn key each time I press one of the F keys would kill my productivity. I talked to 4 Geeksquad support reps, who searched in vain for an answer. Then I called Toshiba twice, just in case the first person was ill-informed. Sorry to say the official response from Toshiba is there is no function lock on Satellite E305-S1990, and there is no way to reverse the reverse function keys. Trust me, I believed them after having tried in vain to reset the BIOS, disable and uninstall Toshiba Value Added Package (which includes FlashCards), and change settings in Toshiba Assist hardware settings. My solution: return it and buy a different laptop with normal function keys. Added warning to prospective buyers: the e305 trackpad is bumpy and less responsive than most. Try it in the store before you purchase. You may find it necessary to plug in a mouse (as I did), which uses up one of the 3 USB ports.
Occasional Advisor
Hfreeman

The in-ability to reverse the keyboard layout back to normal function key usage show poor product management at Toshiba and BestBuy, both are responsible for the model and both a duplistically stupid.

The E305 is a high performance system with a USB 3.0, and with 6 GB of memory. Why they did not bump that to 8 GB is unknown as well... BestBuy is having a problem selling these Blue Label system and they always end up discounting them.

Too bad for both companies that they have a MORON in charge of making Blue Label product decisions.

Hank Freeman

hfreeman@msn.com

Hank Freeman
Senior Data/Systesm DBA-DW Architect
USA
sergiotercio

I dont speak english, sorry, I have the same problem and solve it well: satellite E305

start - programs - toshiba - utility - toshiba assist 

optimization - accessibility FN  

http://www.ixbt.com/portopc/toshiba-satellite/acess.png

:smileyhappy:

search in google "toshiba accessibility" saludos.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Good find, Sergio!

And see the section Toshiba Accessibility, on p. 151 of the User's Guide.

Satellite E300 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
lelka

Hi, I just bought this laptop and I still can't seem to set it up the alt+ F* keys properly. I tried Sergio's recommendation but it still seems to be messed up. Has anyone been able to figure it out?

wallacemw

I have a C855D-S5205 E-Series.  On mine the function key reverse assignment is found here:

Start > Programs > Toshiba > Tools & Utilities > HWSETUP

What a moronic default!  Toshiba should start with standard default and notify, on screen, that this feature exists for those that might like to try it.

Mike

devdos

[ Edited ]

Thanks wallacemw!,

You pointed me in the right direction but on my computer (Windows 8 'Sat P845T') I used

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\TOSHIBA\System Setting\TOSHIBASystemSetting.exe"

Then goto 'Keyboard'..

Segin

Thats great that people seem to have fixed this, but why oh why does my HWSETUP not have this choice?

Using an E305-1995 Win7 and have downloaded the latest tvap (toshiba value added package).

Here is my only choice under HWSetup-Keyboard:

Wake-ip on Keyboard (enable disable)

Here is my only choice under HWSetup-Button Setting

Function Button (enable disable)

With Function button enabled its the normal problem--- have to use fn key to get your f1-f12. With it disabled you can't even access the function keys 1-12.

Why does my HWSetup not have the reversed option that has helped everyone else?

Please,

Thanks you

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

E305-1995  ...  why does my HWSETUP not have this choice?

You're replying to a message from someone with a Satellite C855D-S5205.

Function key changes in Satellite 800 series

-Jerry
kernowpc

What a mess - applied changes back to normal F1 to F12 keys from drop down arrow in Toshiba settings for keyboard (windows 8).

Restarted laptop as requested.

Guess what? You got it -  back to same as before.

Client has left thinking I am clueless thanks Tosh.

My only other thought is that the answer might be lurking in the bios settings somewhere. 

devdos wrote:

Thanks wallacemw!,

You pointed me in the right direction but on my computer (Windows 8 'Sat P845T') I used

Then goto 'Keyboard'..

I doubt if I will ever see this client again to try the bios settings.

Tosh don't expect me to recommend your products to my clients in future.

ujimoto

It's work

Then goto 'Keyboard'..

This direction works on my Satellite L855D. Thanks. 

hans4180

I found the solution to this problem. I would have never guessed you had to go through such crap just to get normal keyboard functionality. Without further ado, the long-awaited solution (in English):

(0)  Save all your open documents and stuff and close their respective programs

(1)  Navigate to the following directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Toshiba\System Setting

(2)  Double-click on the "System Settings.exe"

(3)  Scroll down in the left menu until you find "keyboard"

(4)  Click on the "keyboard" menu option and change the default "special function mode" to "normal f1-f12"

(5)  Click the "apply" button and allow your computer to restart.

All done!!

Cheers :smileyhappy: