Xelix

Quotation Key Not Functioning Correctly

I have very recently purchased a Toshiba laptop version: Satellite C855-S5214. I have had no real issues with this computer, aside from one minute, but important detail. As an author I NEED to use the quotation mark key. When I attempt to press it, nothing happens until I press another key. ä this is that happens when I press quotation mark and then A. ö and with O. ü and U. It appears normally when I press the spacebar after the quotation key, but the space doesn't appear. If I press it once, nothing happens and twice, two quotation marks appear. If I press it once and then try to type, sometimes it doesn't appear at all. It is incredibly difficult to attempt dialogue while writing if I cannot use that one ridiculous key. I KNOW others have had this problem before and I DO hope someone has a solution.

Thank you very much,

Daniel (XelixHeart@yahoo.com)

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Quotation Key Not Functioning Correctly

Well daniel, you are one up on me because, after being on these Forums for a few years now, I've never heard of such a problem.

However, a couple of things worth trying.  One, type Language in the Start/Search box and click on Region and Language. Make sure English (United States) is shown in the Format box. If not and you have to change to that, click Apply and OK.

Second, try reinstalling the keyboard driver.  Go to Device Manager, double click on keyboards, right click on the internal keyboard and click Uninstall.  Restart computer and the driver will be automatically reinstalled.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C855-S5214

There's a Microsoft Fix it in here, Daniel.

How to use the United States-International keyboard layout...

-Jerry
Xelix

Neither of these things have fixed the problem. I think someone said something about flashing the BIOS when they fixed it forthemselves when they encountered this issue with their toshiba laptop. Any idea how to do that? Or if it's even safe?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear our fixes didn't work, Daniel.

Before trying the update BIOS option, try a System Reset which just resets the existing BIOS to all its default values. This frequently fixes all sorts of odd problems and takes only a few minutes to do.  Turn off computer. Remove all attachments and battery. Press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds.  Attach Power and insert battery.  Start computer and tap F2 at the Toshiba splash screen to get in BIOS.  Press F9 to setup system defaults. Answer Yes. Press F10 to Save Configuration Changes and Exit.  Answer Yes to complete the process.  The computer will restart.

If that doesn't do the job and you want to try a BIOS update, your latest BIOS is HERE. I don't believe that will cure the problem but it certainly might and, if I were you, I would probably try it.  Just be very careful while doing it.  Have the machine plugged in to AC and a fully charged battery installed so that the operation can not be interrupted under any circumstance. As a little additional insurance, I would unplug any external devices you might be using.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Xelix

Would this mess with any of my files? Would it get rid of all of my saved items?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

System Reset will do NOTHING to any of your personal files. It merely resets all the BIOS system defaults that your machine came with. Installing a BIOS update usually goes just fine; however, if interrupted, your computer could become unusable.

C.B.

C.B.

A_Love

Ironically enough I'm also a writer and having the exact same problem.  My computer is a Toshiba Satellite L875D notebook.  I get the same result with the ^ key in wordprocessing but not always in other functions.  I'll try the suggested solutions and see if they work.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I get the same result with the ^ key in wordprocessing

Which Satellite L875D, Windows, and word processor (and its version)?

BTW, I had it backwards earlier in this thread. You want the regular US keyboard and not the International one (when the problem occurs in all programs).

How to change your keyboard layout

-Jerry