Occasional Contributor
montydog

Qosmio touchpad scroll

Yesterday I installed Windows 7 (64bit) onto my Qosmio X305-Q705

Since last night I've been going nuts trying to get my touchpad's scroll function to work.

According to the Device Manager it's the Synaptics model (not Alps)

I've read numerous threads here on the forum and tried numerous methods which seemed to work for them, but not me.

I've tried the drivers in the download section here on Toshiba.com

I've tried drivers on my old Vista toshiba recovery disc.

I've tried using the drivers that Windows Update offered.

I've tried the latest drivers on Synaptics site.

I've tried uninstalling the old drivers via the Device Manager. Tried via Add/Remove.

I've tried deleting the old drivers along the way (although not the first time).

What's more, the drivers I currently have installed (the newest) offer "Accessories" in the icon in the taskbar notification area... hovering over that opens a tree for "Pressure Graph" and "MoodPad". Clicking either of these brings up a window saying  "Sorry, this program requires a Synaptics TouchPad and the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver".... I'm completely stumped what that's about.

The Device Manager clearly shows Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchpPad with a Hardware ID ACPI/SYN070B

The driver I'm currently using is 14.0.3.0 with a driver date of 8/27/2009.

Going into "Mouse Properties" > Hardware tab shows Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad as well.

The "Device Settings" tab > Settings shows options only for the 2 buttons (Left/Right)

This is really driving me nuts... can someone help?

Occasional Contributor
montydog

Re: Qosmio touchpad scroll

Anybody?

It's not something that I can't live without but it'll bug me to no end.

I'm actually tempted to reinstall W7 and start over... but would that even solve the problem...

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Qosmio X305-Q705 

Yesterday I installed Windows 7 (64bit) onto my Qosmio X305-Q705

Which procedure did you use?

Did you do a clean install following these instructions?

How to Custom Install Windows 7 and add Toshiba-provided drivers & utilities with the Toshiba Softwa...

Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7

This looks like the correct driver.

Synaptics Touch Pad Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
montydog

Hi Jerry, thanks for replying.

I did try that driver you listed. then I removed it and tried the one that windows installs on its own (I didn't notice if I was able to scroll prior to installing the driver you listed).

Then I tried one that Windows update supplied.

Currently I'm using on that I got straight from Synaptics website which is the newest.

NONE of them are working for me.

I am able to use the pad but not the extra functions.

As for the method I used when I installed W7:

I purchased an OEM copy of W7 from newegg.

Popped the disc in the drive and booted to it.

Formatted C leaving the other 2 partitions in tact.

Installed W7 to the newly formatted C drive.

Downloaded drivers from Toshiba and installed them in the order listed in a reply to another thread of mine here on the forums http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows-7/Win7-Vista-s-Toshiba-Apps-amp-Drivers-disc/td-p/61177

Everything went well except for the Fn Keys, the TouchPad.

Now I see that my webcam doesn't seem to work anymore but I never use it anyway so I don't really care too much about that.

I have until tomorrow morning before Windows 7 does its auto-activate thing and I'm curious if I should just go back to Vista for now until drivers are sorted.

It seems like most people who have had scrolling issues have been able to figure out the problems so I feel it's something more than bad drivers. I think I somehow botched the driver install. I don't see how though...

I read someone here say that the Fn issue is being addressed so if I could figure out this problem then I'd love to just leave W7 installed... I'm really diggin it.

But I'm also a patient fella so if going back to Vista for now is the best choice then I'm not against the idea.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I wish I had some decent advice, Monty. Sorry about that.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
montydog

That's ok,  thanks for trying.

Occasional Contributor
montydog

For what it's worth, I just finished completely reinstalling W7.

This time, after visiting Windows Updates for the "Important" updates, I used that Toshiba Software Installer (tsi4win7.exe, the one for clean installs) and I now have my Fn keys back!

Still no Touchpad Scroll but this time I think I'm going to wait for a newer driver version before updating the Touchpad's drivers.

The TSI downloaded/installed 5 updates:

BT Stack

nVidia drivers

RealTek audio

TVP

and the Flash cards util

Quick question: Do I need to run the Toshiba Software Installer again or would it have found everything during it's first run? 5 updates seems small.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

This time ... I used that Toshiba Software Installer (tsi4win7.exe,

I now have my Fn keys back!

Happy to hear it!

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
montydog

Thanks Jerry! Me too.

So should I run the Toshiba Software Installer again or is that it? Does it find the updates all at once or is it progressive?

5 just seems small.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So should I run the Toshiba Software Installer again or is that it?

I don't think that would help. But who knows?

You could restore Vista and try a real upgrade if you like.

How to Upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 with the Toshiba Upgrade Assistant

Toshiba Upgrade Assistant for Windows 7

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
montydog

Yea, Upgrade is an option but this install went so much better than the first that I'd rather not start over and open up the possibility of something else getting screwed up. :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for your help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

A tip...

Many of us install a full-system backup, so that we can create an image of the current state of the primary drive on an external drive. The entire drive is easily restored after booting from a CD.

That way, one can experiment and not lose the progress made.

We use the same program to back up the drive at 3am every day (and keep five generations of those).

Two good applications are Acronis' True Image and StorageCraft's ShadowProtect

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
montydog

Thanks, I'll check it out!