gknoettner

Portege R835 keyboard removal/replacement?

I can find no online resources regarding removal/replacement of the Portege R835 keyboard. Toshiba's site is woefully lacking any tech docs on the subject. YouTube, etc come up blank. Cannot even find any replacement keyboards available for sale anywhere. The usual access from above does not seem possible without a "plastic strip" to remove first. No micro-tabs visible. Need to access connection points through the back??

Any guidance you can provide would be great. Got a dead enter key after 8 months of ownership. Grrrrrr! Maybe you're just supposed to throw the laptop away after a key malfunctions...

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Portege R835 keyboard removal/replacement?

[ Edited ]

The nearest instructions I could find for replacing the Portege keyboard is on a Model M600.  You can take a look (includes pictures) to see if it is similar to yours.  The procedure is quite different than most I have seen. Click on the small pictures and they will go to full screen.

How To Replace Keyboard on Portege M600 Laptop

P.S. I found one glossy black keyboard for your machine on ebay.  Buyer beware.

R-835 Replacement Keyboard

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
calturk

I have literally just replaced my keyboard and it is by no means a task for the faint hearted (but very achievable). I figured out how to do so purely through trial and error and a lot of force. Luckily it's turned out ok.

The below steps are to be used at your discretion and with great caution, there will be prying, force, and cutting involved so it can be quite easy to stuff up your laptop. I'm about 99.9% sure warranties will be voided.

First things first, I found a replacement keyboard on ebay which cost me $30AUD. There seems to be quite a few on ebay so you can grab one from there.

Now for the actual replacement: first thing you'll need to do is rip the keyboard off. You can do this using a flat head screwdriver and prying the keyboard off with some force (not for the faint hearted, I was crapping myself a bit when I took the plunge). The keyboard is glued onto the laptop with an adhesive so it's just a matter of applying the correct amount of force slowly and the keyboard will start to come off. You might bend the corners of the keyboard - just remember you're going to throw this one out so don't worry!

You will be doing this from the top of the laptop (not the bottom) i.e. open your laptop lid and start prying away. Start with the corners and the top of the keyboard. Take note of the bottom of the keyboard to the right hand side of the space bar, underneath this part of the keyboard will be the ribbon cable (if you have your replacement keyboard you'll be able to see). Pry the keyboard off around the ribbon and then look underneath it once you have enough pried off.

You'll see that underneath the keyboard is a clear plastic sheet where the keyboard was previously glued onto. Around where the ribbon is, the clear plastic sheet seems to be glued with the keyboard ribbon. As we're going to need to separate the clear plastic sheet from the ribbon (so that we can take the keyboard off but not the clear plastic sheet), you have two options. Either cut around the green blue rectangle sheet around the ribbon, or just cut the ribbon off itself.

Next step is to open the laptop from underneath so that we can disconnect the ribbon. Flip the laptop upside down so that it's base is facing upwards. You're going to need to unscrew every screw here and then ply off the RAM/HDD covers as well as the whole bottom laptop cover. After doing this you can locate where the keyboard ribbon will need to be disconnected. You'll see that the ribbon is connected to a black socket. You can slide the sides of this socket and it will allow you to then pull the ribbon off. 

Now flip your laptop again face up (making sure you don't drop your DVD Drive and HDD) and put the new replacement keyboard in place, making sure that the ribbon is able to reach it's connector. Flip the laptop over again bottom up and connect the ribbon by again sliding the sides of the socket to unlock, slide in the ribbon, then locking the sides back into place.

Almost finished. The last part is to glue the keyboard back onto the clear plastic sheet. I used an insulated epoxy glue that I bought off ebay for this. Make sure it's on tight and that the glue is applied consistently.

And voila, your keyboard should now be replaced and ready to go - assuming all went well!

If you come across any issues I'm more than happy to help.

sickness12

Thanks calturk! I used your instructions to successfully replace the keyboard on my wife's Portege R835. If you have car trim removal tools it makes prying the keyboard pretty easy without damaging the trim. Also I used strong double sided tape to stick the new keyboard to the plastic backing and it seems to work well. I would have not been brave enough to attempt this without your guide, thanks again!

calturk

No problem at all sickness12 glad to have helped!

tledford

Worked for me, too, and don't think I would have been comfortable trying to figure it out without your post.  (Does anyone else STICK the keyboard in place?!?)

Thanks!

ladelga

Thanks for posting.  Getting ready to do mine.

check out this link, it has a procedure very similar to what you describe, but also refers to replacing on aluminum tape on "the back of the cover assembly".  Any feel for what that may be?  Have to remove the bottom cover?

http://tech.nexicore.com/downloads/Portege_R930-935___Satellite_R930.PDF

calturk

ladelga - from memory there was no aluminium tape as described in thaty document. But a bigger problem (and this is described in that document) is that the whole keyboard is adhered onto the body of the laptop (insulator) so you will have to "peel" (more like pry) it off. Make sure you do this gently and slowly as you don't want to rip up the insulator underneath. You can use a flat head screw driver to get at the corners initially and then it's a matter of using your hands to pry it off slowly.

From memory you will also have to open the bottom side cover as well to connect the keyboard ribbon to the motherboard, as it is difficult (or impossible) to connect it from the top side as there are components in the way.

Good luck! It's been half a year since I did my replacement so apologies if my reply here is a big vague, the best thing you can do is read my initial detailed instructions.