jmacdona2
Accepted Solution

P755 S5265 keyboard suddenly stops working

New machine.  I'll be typing along just fine and suddenly the keys stop working properly.  The touchpad works; I can put the cursor where I want it but the keys do lots of weird things -- everything except type the appropriate letters, etc.  e.g.. press 'o' and I will get an "open" window to something.  What is going on?  I have to reboot the machine to get it to work again.

bleh

Re: P755 S5265 keyboard suddenly stops working

I have the same computer and the same problem. It's very frustrating and I hope it doesn't get worse. 

jmacdona2

I've decided to return the laptop to the store. I'll have to take a credit -- can't get my money back -- but it's better than being stuck for a couple of years with a frustrating problem.  My last Toshiba has caused me wireless problems for 4 years!  I'll look for an HP or ASUS.

Bugngoo

I just bought this same computer two days ago and I am having the same problem I am reluctant to return it because it is my 2nd new computer in a week because the first one I got (different laptop altogether) had very disturbing inherent problems so I am hoping there is a solution to this...

trinijester1

I had a similar problem when I first switched on my laptop. I realised what had happened was when I was doing the first setup I was asked which keyboard type I wanted to use. living in an english commonwealth country I chose UK keyboard. This screwed everything up. I simply went into the keyboard options, switched it back to a US keyboard and everything went right back to where they were meant to be. 

I dont know if this is applicable to you but good luck.

jmacdona2

My keyboard settings were setup automatically when I got my machine but i checked it anyway.  it was already set to English (US) so i guess that's not the problem.  Thanks so much for offering your help though.  I wish that had been the problem.

jelyfi

I'm having this same problem. It seems to happen only on certain websites. Did anyone ever figure out a solution??

Thanks!

14crescent

Purchased my laptop in October.  Since then the keyboard has suddenly stopped working - twice so far. 

Each time it happened when I'd had been working on a spreadsheet for a while.  The first time it happened it spontaneously resolved.  The second time it happened I wasn't so lucky and ended up talking with Toshiba tech support who had me removing the battery, holding the on button for 20 seconds, etc., which evidently did the trick as my keyboard started working again.  I have a theory however as to why it happened in the first place and why some people have also experienced problems with their touchpad....  I think it has something to do with bodyheat... i.e., the heat generated from resting wrists on the computer and using the touch pad for any length of time causes the keyboard/touchpad to malfunction.  Since the last time my keyboard stopped working I started using a mouse and have made a point of not resting my wrists on the computer while I'm typing.  So far - so good.  Just a thought - and for those still having problems, certainly worth a try... 

If this works for you please let toshiba know because it's obviously a serious design flaw....

PappaDutch

Just bought this beautiful P755  Satellite computer from BestBuy 3 days ago. I think the keyboard must has made for the Incredible Hulk. You have to press so hard to get the keyboard to work. Looking at your posts, Toshiba seems to be lax on there quality control. That is what happened to the NorthAmerican Auto industry, even though there quality is good now, it seems to be people always remember the bad car they bought. Hope Toshiba isn't going the same way.

Is there a replacement keyboard for this product since I Love this computer?

cabaird55

I have had a similar issue and the problem is that the left CTRL key sticks which causes the rest of the keys to do the function they would do with the CTRL key instead of being a letter or number.  Once I figured that out, I click or lift up on the left CTRL key until the other keys work normally. 

tomcav61

[ Edited ]

This problem has been happening to me since I bought the machine.  I guess i figured I was trying to type too fast and hit the wrong key combination.  Rebooting resolves the issue, but that's a pain in the ass.  This solution, prompted by a few that I read, works for me.  In sequence, press and hold the following keys:

FN

Left Shift

Left CTRL

Right Shift

Hold for several seconds.  Good luck.

jmacdona2

Thank you!  I still don't know what causes the freezing but it's great to have a solution other than rebooting  Thanks for posting.

michele_dga

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the temporary fix; however, what is the long term solution.  I use my laptop for work and to have this issue occur 4-5x a day is unacceptable even with a quick fix.