andrus25

Number key pad not working

I just bought the Toshiba Satellite P505, Part No. PSPG0U-S8980 with Windows 7.

All of a sudden my number keypad stopped working and the numlock light is permanently on and I can't toggle between the key pad being on or off.  Regardless, the light is on and the pad does not work.

Solutions?

Thanks.

Beth

zaza

Re: Number key pad not working

Same deal, I just got my p505-s8980 and exact same thing any suggestions.

danreese

Same here, I have a p505s-8946. I did the bios update, and it worked again for a day or so, then same problem. Called Toshiba support, they said ship it in, keyboad defective. Not ready to do that, since problem started after updating TVAP, another member suggested uninstall/re-install of TVAP. Will try that. If that doesn't do it, will wait for my Win 7 disc, see if that fixes it.

greatryry

Hey Beth,

I had the same problem. I tinkered with it for a few days then took it back and exchanged it. At the time there were no search results found for it. It seems now it's more than just me. I have had no troubles with the replacement yet. I do continue to check it since i'm in the warranty period. Once the first two weeks are up I'd have to mail it in. I'd see if you can exchange it.

Ryan

DDL
Occasional Contributor
DDL

SOLUTION is HERE!! Software related. Uninstall whatever version of TVAP(Toshiba Value Added Package) DO NOT RE-INSTALL. Num Lock Key and others come back to life!! If Toshiba wants us to use TVAP, they need to fix it! BTW, login had me change user name, this is danreese.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P505-S8946 

Toshiba Value Added Package (TVAP) for Windows 7/Vista (64)

Uninstall whatever version of TVAP(Toshiba Value Added Package) DO NOT RE-INSTALL. Num Lock Key and others come back to life!!

Thanks for that, Dan.

Maybe you'll try this experiment for us.

Download the attached Numlock.txt file and rename the extension from .txt to .vbs, so that it becomes Numlock.vbs.

When you execute that file in Windows Explorer, the numlock state should toggle. I wonder if that solves the problem after installing the TVAP.

-Jerry
DDL
Occasional Contributor
DDL

Well, so much for that solution. After working for a day and a half, same problem recurred!! Numlock link did not bring up download, just some WShell text, could not do anything with that.

Swarty210

Having the exact same trouble here, same machine, same lack of solution. I tried a BIOS update, and I've tried all your suggestions, but I've only gotten to the point where the '6' key will turn the NumLock light on and off.

(At what point does Toshiba step up to the plate and help us out? Hello? Toshiba?)

Swarty210

FYI, I'd almost put money on this being a hardware problem. I can't get the number pad to respond to ANYTHING now, even when booted into BIOS. I also find it odd that the BIOS doesn't have an option to turn NumLock on by default at boot. I updated to BIOS ver. 1.70 and got the keypad to respond temporarily, but it's dead again. I'm going to revert back to an older version of the BIOS and see what happens with a fresh install of XP Pro, though I'm guessing there will be no difference. Might as well, if nothing else just to eliminate software/OS as a suspect.

Swarty210

...on the money. (Baby needs a new pair of shoes.)

I noticed that the Windows-based BIOS updater didnt' really do the job when, after running the executable, the Number Pad worked for the profile which ran the installer, but not the other profile on the machine. After wiping the drive, running the BIOS update from a bootable CD, and restoring the Windows 7 (x64) installation from a backup, it works like a charm.

Notes:

1. I also noticed that the BIOS utility (when booted from CD) does some funny things. For starters, it doesn't back up the existing BIOS - it completely skips that step. Furthermore, when running the prgram block wipe/install/verify passes, it seems to crash itself a few times mid-way through the session, every time, which is rather inconvenient given that this model of laptop has a slot loading optical drive. Since the update utility never seems to finish, I let it run its goofy boot/program/crash/boot cycle about 5 times (no particular reason, just wanted to see if there was a pattern to the crashes, and it did not appear that there was.) Since the reprogramming sequence never really completed, I'm not convinced that it worked; however, I have noticed a remarkable difference in the responsiveness of the Number Pad.

2. YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR BOOT DEVICE SETTINGS IN THE BIOS TO BE ABLE TO  BOOT FROM EITHER HARD DRIVE IF YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE BIOS UTILITY. Since the sequence doesn't finish, you can't eject the disk, so it just starts over on reboot. (Remember how I said the slot-load drive was an inconvenience?) Anyway, not a huge issue, but if you aren't familiar with BIOS settings and boot order, I could see this being cause for panic. If you are, it's a trivially frustrating annoyance at worst.

3. Downloading the update multiple times and creating several different discs (made at least a dozen, not kidding) never produced a utility that would finish the reprogramming sequence successfully. I'm seriously wondering if the file Toshiba has made available for download is just corrupt.

4. If you want the Number Pad to turn on at boot/startup by default, boot into BIOS and then turn it on (it's that simple - just press the NumLock key.) When you exit BIOS, it will blink, then shut off when Windows loads; however, it will turn on for any user during login.

andrus25

Hey everyone...I tried the uninstall TVAP thing and my number pad still doesn't work.  Ugh!  I don't want to exchange it because that means I have to reinstall ALL my programs and setup stuff....  Ugh!

andrus25

Ok...I'm confused...I don't know what I'm supposed to do.  You're talking to a lamen here :-)

As you said regarding knowing about BIOS settings and whatnot...I'm panicking!

Swarty210

@andrus25:

Sorry for that!

Give me a few minutes, and I'll make you a guide. I'll post a link to it here in this thread shortly.

In the meantime, please download the following files:

1. ISO Recorder v3
  2. spe0v170.exe

Note: If you already have a program for burning ISO (bootable disc) images to CD/DVD, don't worry about downloading and installing the ISO Recorder program. I use it, and that's what my instruction guide will show, but it's not mandatory by any means. I like the program very much and use it quite a bit, but with any 3rd-Party software, you should feel comfortable before downloading and installing it. If you have favorite program, by all means, use it instead.

The guide I'm going to make will cover the installation and use of the Toshiba utility, but not the ISO Recorder program. If you want to use it, you'll need to initiate and complete the installation after downloading the appropriate file.

-Swarty

Swarty210

@andrus25:

Here's the guide: P505-S8950 - BIOS Utility Guide (PDF, 1.01MB)

Hope this helps.

-Swarty

Swarty210

FYI, the link to the installer I posted is for the P505-8960, PSPE8U. The process for updating it is practically identical, but you should double check to find the BIOS for your exact model, if it isn't the same.

melaniejae

Hi,

The same thing happened to my keyboard on the A500/03u model. The num lock turned off permanently. I even reformated my computer to fix it, but does not do the job.

This worked for me:

Hold "FN" key and press "Num Lock" couple of times until it lights up again.

Then the num lock key works as normal again.

Not sure why, but it worked for me.

Hope this helps...

andrus25

Well...since originally posting my issue, I have since returned the laptop and purchased an HP and I am very happy now! I wish you luck with your Toshiba's.

Regardless...happy holidays to everyone and I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.

Beth

jinarbry

Don't know if this is still a problem for anyone else, but it was for me. Bought my Toshiba P505 the end of January. Everything was great till a couple weeks ago when out of nowhere, my num lock key stayed on but NOTHING on the number pad worked. I tried using FN + NUM LOCK, FN + Scroll, blah, blah, blah. I went into the BIOS and there is NOTHING in there regarding the num lock key. I did everything possible that was suggested.

This didn't seem like a hardware prob to me so I kept looking.

I created the numlock.vbs file posted earlier. The script would run but all it did was turn the NUM LOCK key on and off.

I uninstalled TVAP (Toshiba Value added pack). Still didn't work.

Finally downloaded December 2009 BIOS upgrade and ran it through windows. Laptop rebooted at end of upgrade and now my NUM LOCK key works, my numbers work and life is good.

So in a nutshell here's the three things I did. It may have been a combination of all three or just upgrading the BIOS. I don't know for sure, but here's the scoop.

1) Uninstall TVAP

2) Run numlock.vbs to turn off NUM LOCK key

3) Download and run December 2009 BIOS upgrade

Hope that works for anyone else out there still suffering from this VERY frustrating glitch!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thanks for posting that information. I'll vote for the BIOS upgrade. This one?

ACPI Flash BIOS version 3.10 for Satellite P500/P505 (PSPE0U/E8U, PSPG0U/G8U)

Applies to these Satellites: P500-ST68X1, P500-ST6822, P500-ST5806, P500-ST6821, P500-ST5801, P505-S8970, P505-ST5800, P505-S8940, P505-S8950, P505-S8980, P505-S8945, P505-S8941, P505-S8971, P505-S8946 

Does numlock.vbs toggle the numlock state now?

-Jerry
eugeneshev

[ Edited ]

Hey guys I got the solution for this problem, go to support.toshiba.com find your laptop there then in where it says All Categories pick BIOS and download the ACPI Flash BIOS. Read the description version 1.70 has the solution for the Num Lock not working. 

Version 1.70 - 2009-06-23

• Updated the EC to fix a WL/BT resume from S3/S4 status issue.
  • Fixed: With BT/WLAN attached, a bit is set wrong after resuming from S3.
  • Updated BIOS code - ECO behavior.
  • Updated the EC for a NUM LOCK key check problem.

Download Version 3.10 and FLASH BIOS and install from windows, it will ask you to restart your pc and your keyboard should be back in its normal function!!

NOTE: YOU DON'T NEED TO UNINSTALL TVAP (Toshiba Value Added Package) FLASH BIOS AND PROBLEM IS FIXED!