GeneT
Accepted Solution

Num Lock Turning Off

For some reason recently, when I shutdown my system, the next time I start up Num Lock has turned off. I always have it on and didn't realize immediatly what was  happening when I typed in my password, which includes numbers, and have it rejected.  Yes my laptop, A505 has the light but I never really had to look at it before.

Anyone have any idea why this is getting turned off all of a sudden?

Regular Advisor
Defender

Re: Num Lock Turning Off

Something has changed in you BIOS settings.  You may need to go in and reset to 'always on' status and reboot. TRY THIS PLEASE: 

To turn the NumLock key on:

Go to Start, then select Run.

In the "Open" box in the Run window, type "sysedit" (without the quotes). Click on OK.

This command opens the System Editor, the utility that helps you edit several important system-configuration files, including autoexec.bat, win.ini, system.ini and config.sys.

When the System Editor finishes loading, each one of these files will be contained in its own window.

Click on the name bar of the config.sys window to activate it.

In the text portion of the config.sys window type:

Numlock=ON

Save, exit the System Editor and reboot.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I believe these Toshiba machines are configured so that the numlock state is remembered during a reboot. Is that okay now?

Which A505?

-Jerry
GeneT

when I enter "sysedit" in the Run box I get a message that Windows could not find it.

My laptop is A505-S6960, 64bit, Windows 7 Home Premium

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Satellite A505-S6960 

when I enter "sysedit" in the Run box I get a message that Windows could not find it.

That file is for DOS-based Windows (3.x/95/98/Me). In any case, it's a 16-bit program that your 64-bit Windows could not even execute.

Check the BIOS for a numlock setting.

Start > All Programs > Toshiba > Utilities > HWSetup

Are you comfortable doing registry surgery?

-Jerry
GeneT

There is no Numlock setting in HWSetup!  Yes I'm fairly comfortable making changes to registry.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

These two Microsoft articles apply to 64-bit Windows Vista as well as Windows XP.

How to Set the NUM LOCK State at Logon in Windows XP

How do I enable the NUM LOCK key for the logon screen?

The value InitialKeyboardIndicators in the following registry key may now be set to the string 2147483648, which is the decimal equivalent of 0x80000000 (zero with a leading bit). It can be changed to 2 by setting the decimal string to 2147483650, which is 0x80000002. (I understand that the presence of that leading bit causes a BIOS setting of On to override a registry setting of Off.)

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard

Take your time. Be sure to export registry keys before changing them.

Let us know how it goes.

-Jerry
GeneT

Changing the value in the Registry worked.  BUT when I entered my account password and hit Enter it turned off again.  Then it occured to me that I just created this password a couple of days ago since I've been taking my laptop to work.  So I assumed that was what was turning off Numlock.  To verify I removed the password, rebooted, and viola!  Back to normal Numlock comes on and stays on.  So the question is why does setting account password turn it off...some kind of security protection?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..why does setting account password turn it off...?

You're saying this?

When you have a blank login password and set numlock on, it is still on when you reboot.

When you assign a non-blank login password and set numlock on, it gets turned off during a reboot.

-Jerry
GeneT

Thanks for your help Jerry.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Windows is not supposed to work that way, Gene.

-Jerry