kellieb

New P775 has keyboard issues

I recently bought a P775 from Best Buy.  I quickly noticed that the keyboard was not working properly.  I took it back to Best Buy, but I had already spent two days putting all my business programs on it and transferring data.  The Geek Squad was able to switch out my hard drive into a new laptop and exchange it for me.  The new one is having the same problems, and now I'm past the 14-day exchange program.  My husband and I use this for our business and cannot afford to be without it.  The keyboard issue is very frustrating.  i must hit the key hard and slowly in order to get it to connect.  I saw that there was a keyboard issue with another model, but apparently the fix for that one won't work for the P775.  What's the deal?

speedplane

Re: New P775 has keyboard issues

I've run into the same issues. Occasionally a letter just won't appear. But when I try to hit it harder a second time it works. It's very annoying.

nplawyer

This has been an ongoing problem for several years with just about every Satellite model.  The "fix" as posted by Toshiba support in another thread about this same problem on a different Satellite model is as follows:

Press and release the FN key

Press and release the N key

Press and release the 1 key

According to Jim, the forum administrator who posted the "fix", if this key sequence does not fix the problem, it's a bad keyboard.  He then locked the thread.  But if you search forums online you will see literally THOUSANDS of submissions from people who have tried this "fix," and they all say the same thing; it works for a few minutes, but then it's back to the same problem as before.  Others say if you restart the computer and remove the battery, it works great.  I am currently typing this from my brand new Satellite, and I'm about ready to throw it against the wall, as I have to apply the "fix" about every three minutes.  This is my first Toshiba product, and due to the company's apparent unwillingness to acknowledge and resolve the issue, it will likely be my last.

pcdj64

[ Edited ]

The fix is not worth The effort, you have to do it so often it is more of a pain than a solution.

I have a Toshiba satellite m30x from days of old, back when it was new enough people complained that Toshiba had a recall, there was a problem with The power jack coming off of The mainboard, The m30x I have had The jack fall of AFTER Toshiba replaced it LOL, I have since replaced The whole board and it is working.

Toshiba does not want to own up to anything, I am called on to recommend laptops for people who do not know which laptop to purchase for their needs, Toshiba has made 1000's from my recommendation, they will not be making another cent from me until they acknowledge this issue and fix it. I already spent money ordering a new keyboard.

Not to bring mention to other brands I owned a dell Inspiron a few years back and The keyboard went bad in it, I called dell support and The next day I had a new keyboard, it was an easy install and it resolved The issue.

Toshiba will not allow you to do anything without voiding The useless warranty.

pcdj1964

I just got an aftermarket keyboard that looks identical to the original P775 fusion finish.

It seems to work and feel better than the defective one I took out..

You still have to hit close to center for the letter to appear but with a lot less force.

Why can't Toshiba come up with a fix after seeing so many people with the same issues.

My warranty is now void because I changed the keyboard myself, I don't really care since this is my last Toshiba.