Snow2627
Accepted Solution

My keyboard skips letters

I recently bought my laptop. Everytime I try to type i have to backspace becasue it skipped over a letter that  I have typed. For example as I type I have tokee pressing that a letter in order for it to work. The hardest part is gettin the space bar to work in between words.

Her is whatmy typing looks like if  don't gback to fix whati am tryng to type. Canyou imgine trying to read thi and ten havein to go back each word to correct it.

Regular Advisor
Defender

Re: My keyboard skips letters

Lets try :Uninistall the keyboard component from Device Manager, reboot and let New Hardware Wizard reinstall.  Also, ensure nothing is under the keys please, and ensure that when reinstalled it is setup as US standard configuration.  Also, open up the Keyboard properties and ensure the sensitivity and spacing is correct.
drw
drw

I'm having the same problem! The skip rate is variable, though -- sometimes there's only about 1 skipped character per sentence, the next day (or 6 hours later) it's every 5th character or even more frequently. I don't think it's the keyboard, because I have the same problem on both my external keyboard (USB) and the laptop keyboard. Using the Control Panel, I fiddled with the repeat rate, but I don't see a place to adjust "sensitivity" and "speed."

Can you provide additional information, please?

I use a Satellite A-135 with Vista, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Regular Advisor
Defender

drw..adjust the Repeat Delay and Repeat rate and then do a test sentence in the bokc there within keyboard section. Check with Device Manager that the keyobard is no listed with a yellow exclamation point!
Snow2627

will it be easy to re-install once i uninstall the keyboard software? I'm a little skecptial about that

Regular Advisor
Defender

Snow 2627-that is that plug and play-New Hardware Wizard main job is to reinstall components needed for an effective operation.
doglanta

Re: My keyboard skips letters-BUT NOT ANYMORE!

I tried everything suggested that I found in this forum for my keyboard skipping letters without success (including a new keyboard).  But, I decided to try something that I did not see suggested and that was to flash the bios with the latest from this website.  HOLY CRAP THAT WORKED!  I was actually getting ready to replace the laptop and the bios flash was going to be the last thing I was going to try. 

The funny thing is that I had this problem a while back when it was under warranty and I took it to an authorized Toshiba repair shop and they returned it to me fixed.  But, they said they replaced the hard drive to fix it which really did not make sense to me but I didn't care because the skipped letters problem was gone.   However the problem resurfaced a few months ago.   One thing the lastest bios flash documentation said that it took care of was skipping letters when the MSN toolbar was installed.  I don't have the MSB toolbar but I do have the Google toolbar.

If your laptop is also skipping letters and the other suggestions did not work try flashing the bios, it worked for me.

Ken

Wow, I was able to type this whole message without having to fix any missing letters. 

Regular Advisor
Defender

drw and others:  go into Control Panel[classic view] KEYBOARD now visible and under KB Properties locate Hardware and adjust the 'repeat rate and repeat delay' need to be fiddled with to obtain desired result via the character repeat block.  Thus, the sensitivity aspect. 

drw
drw

I did try adjusting the Repeat and Repeat Delay - it did not fix the problem. As a temporary fix, I am using different internet browsers and the problem has gone away.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If the problem only occurs while surfing the web, try resetting IE7.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

-Jerry
drw
drw

How does one reset IE7?

Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger

drw wrote:

How does one reset IE7?

Jerry gave you the link in his reply.  In case your browser settings are misconfigured, the URL for the link is:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Regular Advisor
Defender

If the ''Fix It post'' is confusing to you--go into the Control Panel [classic view] locate Windows Components and elete IE from there, reboot, then repeat Control Panel just mentioned but this time check the block for IE to enable a fresh install.

drw
drw

If I reset my IE, will I lose bookmarks, or any other information?

DRW

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

When you reset IE, you will lose most everything related. Most settings, toolbars, add-ins, and so forth are lost.

Favorites, however, are untouched. And the connection setting remains.

You may prefer to try some other things first.

How to optimize Internet Explorer

-Jerry
doglanta

Consider flashing bios with latest update, worked for me.  Mine would skip letters and spaces making it very hard to use.  One of the items in the flash was to correct skipping letters when the MSN toolbar is installed.  I don't remember if I ever had the MSN toolbar installed but I do currently have the Google toolbar installed.  See bios notes below:

Version 2.10 - 2006-06-13

• Corrected an issue where letters were dropped while typing normally after the MSN search toolbar was installed.
Regular Advisor
Defender

Be careful when considering a BIOS update, ensure backups are made, recovery disc is avaiable, patience, and read the BIOS update content before desiring to do same. The general info all techs posted was to enable you to achieve a resolved to the concern.  Take your time and review them.