Gisela

M645-S4114 touchpad not working properly

I have a Toshiba Satellite M645-S4114 that I purchased 2 months ago and suddenly the touchpad started not working properly, now right button, scrolling up/down and zoom to pitch are not working at all, only left button, cursor movement and tap to click work ok, also once laptop starts up the left button is frozen, it reactivates just after I press ctrl+alt+del esc keys.

I have already reinstalled the synaptics drivers, which by the way sent a message that are up to date and working fine, I restored the laptop to a previous point, the oldest I have that is for one month ago and nothing, the mouse properties are also set for zoom, scrolling and right button to work but they don't.

Please help!!! could this be more than a software issue? . . . Thanks

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: M645-S4114 touchpad not working properly

I have already reinstalled the synaptics drivers, which by the way sent a message that are up to date and working fine...

Where did you get the Synaptics drivers from? Because you should only be using the hardware drivers, including your touchpad driver, from your model's Toshiba download page.

Satellite M645-S4114

If this is not where you got driver from, or regardless of where you got it, try downloading and double click to install your Toshiba supplied driver.

Synaptics TouchPad Driver(v15.0.8.1)

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Gisela

I've got the synaptics drivers from this toshiba downloads page, same link you provided, I again reinstall them and still not working, only left button works :smileysad:. I believe it's a hardware issue.

So, should I sent my laptop for warranty repair? 

Super Advisor
miker643

Let's just try a basic system reset and see if this helps bring your Touchpad back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, at the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then boot into Windows again, and try your touchpad again

If that doesn't work then you should try running a Toshiba Recovery to return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box state. This is considered the gold standard test on whether you have an actual hardware problem, or some kind of driver/software/update problem. Back up all your user files, make a set of recovery disks in case of emergencies as directed on page 69 of your Satellite® M640 Series User’s Guide, you'll need at least 3 DVDs, others have reported that DVD-R disks seem to work best. Then run the recovery utility from the recovery partition on your hard drive as instructed on page 62 of your guide.

If your touchpad still does not work, then you have a hardware problem. In that case, contact customer support:

Customer Support in the United States

• Computers: (800) 457-7777 (toll-free) or (949) 859-4273

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Gisela

I've just finished the instructions you provided, following them exactly as you describe them and both of them didn't work for my touch pad, continues not working, only left button works, I will contact Toshiba customer support, I just hope the fix doesn't take long time.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Super Advisor
miker643

You're very welcome. Sorry to hear we couldn't get it working. But, at least you confirmed your hardware problem and with your user files all backed up, you're in good shape to send the unit off for repairs.

Mike