toolboy7

Left click button

On my brand new laptop (well, got it in December), the left click button is already failing! At one point the left side of the button was caving into the laptop. I moved it around a little and finally got it where it doesn't look like it's caving in, but still doesn't work normally. I can "click" on the left side of the button, however it won't actually click the mouse. Only when pressing closest to the touchpad itself is it actually clicking the mouse. Called Toshiba to see if the warranty would replace it, and he said they would most likely find that it was my fault therefore they wouldn't. Well that's BS if you ask me, they should jump on that and be like "yes sir we will get that fixed for you in no time." It's not like I beat on my left mouse button! I use my computer a lot for web design and graphics bases applications, so the left click button does get a lot of use, but it breaking merely 4 and a half months after being bought it ridiculous!! I had a Dell computer that is over 4 years old and everything on it still works as good as the day I bought it! I'm ashamed the Toshiba won't stand behind their computer more than that. I'm definitely going to upgrade my warranty in a month or so in case anything else were, and probably will, go wrong with it. Anyone else had this same issue? (also a pixel on my LCD screen has already burned out!!)

Toshiba Satallite E105-S1802

LoriW

Re: Left click button

I have the exact same problem. Got my laptop in December also. I cam here first to see if others had the same problem. I have not contacted Toshiba yet.

Did you send yours in to be fixed? I can't believe that they would say that it's your fault.

marks5920

I also have the  same problem and a loose DC-IN  power jack. Sent it in to Toshiba for repairs, they only fixed the loose power jack. Said the "Left click button" was not covered under warranty.

CRCM

Same issue.  Purchased same period.  I have not contacted Toshiba yet as began only one week ago. 

timmy123

[ Edited ]

I got my p505-8980 computer in Jan and the left click button stopped working also the scroll option on the pad stopped too.  The right button and the pad still work fine. I have contacted Toshiba they said I have to reset my computer and delete everything so I have to back it up before I do that. It works with the mouse I think it a software problem because when I switch it to left hand neither button works.

montrealer

same problem is happening with me..has been for the last 2 weeks..my laptop is brand new, less than 2 months old , and the left click is messed up, right click is perfect...sad thing is i checked online and this problem has been happening to others as of feb 2009..possibly before, but i found some other complaints about the same thing on this particular date..so obviously toshiba is not fixing the problem...this is messed up,now i am really pissed..they are selling faulty products...

SuzanneTx

I have three laptops,  L455's. Got them at xmas.  Two of the laptops have the left button sticking. They are barely usable. They stick and it is hard to get them back out. Now the third laptop is not working. The entire pad is frozen. grrrr I think this should be looked into. Too many are doing the same thing.

MrBungle

WOW.UNORTHODOX SOLUTION: Listen to Mr. Bungle.

I have had this comp for almost 4 years, with absoluty NO, problems. I love it to the extent that my next one will probably be a another Toshiba. But I had my first problem tonight. At around 7:30PM, while listening to some Mr Bungle, I ended up having the exact same problem you had. Left mouse button, which is "click-able" (obviously) AND touch sensative ceased to work. The mouse pad continued to function as far as moving the mouse around, but it usually also works as a left click button in that if you tap it, it reacts as the left mouse button, but that failed too. So I could move the mouse around, and I could right click.

I know as much about computers as I do about how lungs change oxygen into carbon monoxide. (zilch)

After looking through EVERY piece of info available in EVERY property on the internet, I was ready to give up. I tried the FN+F9 combo, the cold power reboot, or whatever it is called, taking the battery out and beating a cat with it while rebooting with out it 9 times, you name it, I tried it, as long as it didn't involve uninstaling the mouspad and rebooting, or re-installing windows. I didn't want to try the mouse ininstall because it sounded permament and I had no idea, having no other mouse external or other wise, how I would turn it back on. (didn't know until later it automatically restarts on reboot), and I didn't want to re-install windows, because I didn't want to loose everything only to find out that it didn't solve the problem anyway. Also, I couldn't do the sys restore because I didn't have the sense to turn that feature on in the first place. (believe me its on now). I tried messing with every mouse optin I could find in the control panel, speeding up the double click, slowing it down, switching it to left handed, everything.

So having tried everything I could, and having no warranty or money to take it in, and only after destroying several pieces of fine furniture, scaring the hell out of our cat, and giving job security to a dry wall repair guy, I'm fed up and starting to go into desperate surrener mode.

It's 2:30 in the morning. fully 6 hours of reading crappy internet forums and learning a TON of new hot key combos,

I am looking at my windows reinstall disc. I'm nulling it over...

... And after all that....

Mindlessly debating whether or not to go through with thew windows reinstall, a particulary bass-slappy jammin snappy bungle song starts. Nearly without realizing I had done it, I started tapping on the two mouse keys like a couple little drums. "tap tap tappity tap-pappity-tap tap TAP tappity TAP tappity TAP TAP...you get the idea. I'm pretty sure that in that little rythym I must have hit both at the same time a couple times, but I'm not positive. But no kidding, the screeen suddenly opened and closed several dialog windows and closed them just as fast in line with my tapping, and for a split second I thought I saw a responce that would have only happened if the button had started to work again. So I held my breath and left clicked on an Icon. And holy mother mary jesus smacked a midget, it worked as if the whole thing was my imagination. No problem at all. I have no idea why this happened. I know some of you may be thinking that I must have done something else and it just took a while for the computer to catch up and that it was a mere coinsidence.. I don't think so. I can't prove it but the way things went down, it didn't seem like it. Possibly a pop tart crumb got in there and with all the tapping, it got jarred loose and freed the button. Thats more like what it seemed. 

Anyway, If your in this situation, and you can't get anything to work, got grab your favorite toe tapping song, and start drumming and see what happens. It sounds stupid to you tech guys I'm sure, but Mr. Bungle shined while all you guys were guessing.

oldpueblo

I'm speechless, but took MrBungle's advice.  After 3 weeks of trying everything I could find on the internet, all it took was some mindless tapping of the buttons and all is working fine now.  So I guess I'm suggesting the "tap" method as a fix for a left or right click problem.  Who knew!