SteveJones1881

Laptop keyboard not working properly

I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite L775-s7108 and we keep experiencing a problem where after some use the keys stop working. While browsing online, if we try to use the "w" key the browser window closes. Likewise, the "t" key opens a new tab. This is the second one we have had with this problem.

Peter

Re: Laptop keyboard not working properly

It sounds like the control key is being held down. Do either of the control keys seem stuck at all? When this start happening, try opening Notepad and trying the keys there. What happens?

- Peter
SteveJones1881

no they do not and it happens after use for a couple of hours.

Peter

Did you try testing in Notepad when the problem starts? If so, what happens?

- Peter
SteveJones1881

when I do that it makes a bing sound and does nothing. For example, pressing "p" brings up the print screen. I checked the keys nothing is stuck under them we haven't had this second one but a week. Thinking i'm going to end up taking it back for an Asus

Peter

If you'd live to continue troubleshooting, type "Device Manager" in the Start Menu's search field and press ENTER. In the Device Manager, expand "Keyboards." Right-click your keyboard and select "Uninstall." Then reboot the computer. It should reinstall the driver for the keyboard. Does the problem persist?

- Peter
SteveJones1881

I thought this would fix it but after a couple of days it just happened again this morning. I don't know what to do now.

Peter

The easiest way to determine if it's a hardware problem or not is to perform a complete recovery.

Recovering your laptop to its original, out-of-the-box state is a great way to eliminate software as a possible cause of the problem. Note that doing a system recovery will return the laptop to its default conditions, completely wiping your data. On most models, the recovery utility can be started by holding '0' (zero) while booting the computer until the utility displays on the screen.

After the recovery, don't install any new programs and try using it. If the problem comes back, you'll know it's a hardware issue.

- Peter
eoin

Hi

this same problem is happening to my Satelite L750 - IE8

The keys act as shortcuts, however the touchpad keeps working....  Doing a restart from the start button works... Ii

I have done a full recovery to factory default.

I had not thought of a stuck control key and the last time it happened I had not used the control key (nor did I touch it during the restart) and the laptop worked perfectly

Also, the previous time I did a control-alt-delete to see if there was any stray tasks/processes... the only thing that was strange was a number of Chrome and Explorer processes still open... I use Flash a lot and it also crashes frequently, so I dont know if this is related

This issue does not happen my collegues Acer which we have swapped

I run AVG Internet Protection plus Malwarebytes and none can find any issues

pkhh

The keyboard on my Toshiba Satellite will just stop working for no know reason.  When this occurs anytime I press a key anew window opens.  I called Toshiba and I was told to take out the battery, unplug the laptop, and hold the power button down for twenty seconds.  I was told that I had not shut the laptop down properly.  Needless to say this advise was useless.  I was told by the call center that if Toshiba helps me again I would have to pay $49.99,  this is because I had the laptop for over 6 months,(still less than a year).  I was told that it was not a hardware problem so not under the year warranty. I am sorry that I don't know the solution to this problem. What I do know is that I will Never buy another Toshiba product. Toshiba has to know that this is a known problem, and they choose not to fix it.

Peter

There's a lot of software on a computer. Often times changing to settings or installations of programs can cause changes elsewhere. This doesn't mean that there's an issue that's being ignored.

If you believe it is a hardware problem that requires servicing, it's easy to check. Perform a full system recovery, and if the problem persists, it's a hardware issue.

If you're not ready to do that yet, try uninstalling the keyboard entry from Device Manager and rebooting, allowing Windows to redetect the driver. Also, try turning off the computer, unplugging it, turning it upside-down (while still open), and gently shaking it to dislodge anything foreign that might be insider.

If it's only happening with one program, I would think about checking another application and not thinking it's a driver or hardware issue just yet.

You could also check to see if the problem happens in Safe Mode. If it doesn't, move on to using a clean startup to determine if one of your startup items is interfering.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or p...

- Peter
eoin

Peter,

as I said above...

I have done a clean full system restore and it continues to happen... I had not installed any additional software, and did a default install, although system updates would have been installed automatically.

I have done a system restart without touching any keys after the problem appears and it goes away after restart... indicating that it is not a stuck key...

It happens in both Chrome and Explorer, again default installations/setups....

It only happens after a couple of hours of use (sometimes days), so to test it in safemode is impractical....

I use Flash and Java intensive web software 90% of the time...

Eoin

Peter

eoin, you might have but pkhh didn't mention doing a recovery.

You might want to reinstall TVAP. Were you saying that your model number was "L750 IE8" or that it was an "L750" using Internet Explorer 8? If it was part of the model number, it doesn't appear to be a US model. If not, can you give me your full model number?

- Peter
eoin

Hi Peter

First of all what is TVAP?

secondly the model is "L50 1E8" Part number "PSK1WE 0D3009EN" for the UK/Ireland market

thanks

Eoin

Peter

TVAP stands for Toshiba Value Added Package. I was planning on giving you a link once the model number was clarified if it was a US model. This site supports Toshiba US. I'd suggest contacting Toshiba UK or checking their support site for your downloads.

- Peter
ongorange

i having the same problem with my P755 laptop 

look like the recently toshiba laptop keyboard facing the same problem 

bilalshah

Exact same problem happened with me. I have a Toshiba protégé r750. The keys doesn't, seem to stick down or depressed.

Peter

Hi ongorange and bilalshah,

Does the problem occur in multiple programs or only specific programs? If only specific ones, which ones?

What are you full model numbers? The model number should be listed on a label on the bottom.

- Peter
FrancieS

I bought a Toshiba Satellite A665=S5170 in May of 2011. Within 6 weeks, I had to return the laptop to have the keyboard replaced (first time I bought the waranty- thank goodness) Many of the keys would not type at all and some of them would type many of the letter when barely touched. The new keyboard still doesn't work well. I often have programs close, long things that I have typed get highlighted and since I type fairly fast, it gets deleted and replaced with the next thing I am typing. The often I type a p and a print box appears and many other strange things. This is my third Toshiba Satellite and I have never been more disappointed. I seriously am considering a different brand after reading all the problems people are having with the keyboards. My 2 previous Satellites lasted me 5 years each. I bought this on 18 months same as cash so I haven't even finished paying for it and I already want a new one that doesn't have all these keyboard issues. I wish I had done a little more research when I bought this because I found out shortly after I bought it, Toshiba no longer made this model. I was going on my past experience I had with my other Toshiba laptops. FrancieS
Maui_bound

I had the identical problem last week after having the laptop about 60 days (Model L775D-S7340). Keyboard froze up after a reboot. However, since at startup I go to a password-protected screen, no keystrokes were registering when I typed them in. I called the Toshiba helpline and got some of the same advice as the other responders did. I eventually did a restore to factory settings (turn off computer; hold down the "0" key; then press the start button and follow all the instructions). It took about 45 minutes, but the computer was like when it was new. Data can be restored from backup drives, but unfortunately, softer had to be re-installed (you need to be sure you have all the product key codes in order to reinstall, which are either on the packaging if you have the disks or on the invoices if you ordered and downloaded online). One variable that may have contributed is that I was updating drivers (I have a package that will do that), and maybe one of those drivers created an incompatibility with the Toshiba system. Maui_bound