loallynve

Re: Laptop keyboard and touchpad not working in Windows 8.1

Thank you!

royce

You may be able to attach a USB mouse.

During troubleshooting, I have had no luck attaching multiple keyboards, but have been able to use a USB mouse.

This could help some people avoid having to do a full system recovery.

NikkaiThomas

Re: Laptop keyboard gone 8.1 DO NOT LOAD THE TOSHIBA SUPPORT DRIVER 10-17 PRESCRIBED FOR WINDOWS 8.

Rolling back the driver worked great. Thanks for the tip.

royce

Re: Laptop keyboard gone 8.1 DO NOT LOAD THE TOSHIBA SUPPORT DRIVER 10-17 PRESCRIBED FOR WINDOWS 8.

NikkaiThomas, which driver was the one that worked for you?

NikkaiThomas

Rolled it back to Version: 6.3.9600.16384. Date: 6/21/2006. Hope that helps.

royce

[ Edited ]

At last, I have a solution for my system (E45t-AST2N01)!

The keyboard and touchpad do not work until the Toshiba Flash Cards Utility is installed. While its name may not immediately identify it as something related to the keyboard, it is -- it's a driver to handle hotkey behavior.

You might have to deinstall it and reinstall it for it to fix the problem for you.

Multiple versions work:

• Version 1.51.8.2C (2013-04-23) is reported as 'latest' on the Toshiba site at this writing, even though it does not have the most recent upload date.

• Version 1.51.81.1C has an upload date of 2013-09-18, but is not listed as most recent.

• Version 1.51.8.1C is one that shipped with my E45T-AST2N01. It's the one that shows up when you run the Toshiba Application Installer, and is installed from local source files without download. (This information may be helpful for people who cannot get their internet connection working without their keyboards).

It's very reproducible.  I can break both keyboard and mouse by uninstalling the Flash Cards Utility.  I can then fix them again by installing any of the versions above.

The clue was when NikkaiThomas had success with les_redcaddy's suggestion to roll back the Elan touchpad driver. That's a great lead that I hadn't paid enough attention to yet. It made me go look in the Windows standard Device Manager. I do not know why it never occurred to me to look there.

For later reference ... after the upgrade to Windows 8.1, in my device manager, both keyboard and touchpad have the yellow triangle-with-an-exclamation point warning icon on them.  The error for the keyboard driver (Microsoft's own driver, 6/21/2006, version 6.3.9600.16384) says:

"Windows cannot start the hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)."

The error for the touchpad driver (ELAN 10/2/2013, 11.8.14.1) says:

"Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API."

Once I install any version of the Flash Cards Utility, these same devices with the same version numbers start working again.

Toshiba technical support's general guidance to deinstall and reinstall everything is not specific enough to troubleshoot this properly. Their support information, both internal and in the public Knowledge Base, should be updated to help people with specific keyboard and touchpad issues under Windows 8.1.

Note also that if two-finger tapping (to emulate right-clicking) isn't working with your touchpad, you're missing the ELAN Touchpad Drivers. :-)

joeyju

Royce

I tried to reproduce the same results as you, but I am getting conflicting results.

Since there are no Toshiba Flash Cards Utility available for my computer model for Windows 8.1, I installed the Flash Card Utility for Windows 8.  Afterwards I went back into Toshiba Service Station, installed the Toshiba Support Driver, and restarted my computer.

The keyboard and mouse seemed to work perfectly.  I then went and uninstalled the  Toshiba Flash Cards Utility, restarted my laptop, but my mouse and keyboard still work...

Is there a way to check and see if the Toshiba Support Driver installed on my computer?  I went into control panel to see my installed Programs and Features, but the Toshiba Support Driver is not listed.  I even re-downloaded the driver from Toshiba's support page and tried to re-install the driver, but still doesn't list it anywhere.  

royce

[ Edited ]

joeyju, that is very interesting!  I wonder if, on some systems like yours, there is something that installing Flash Card Utility fixes (in the registry, maybe?) that restores functionality.  That is definitely different from my testing, because it breaks again when the Flash Card Utility is uninstalled.

Unfortunately, I do not yet know of a way to determine if Toshiba Support Driver is installed or not.  Given the similarity in the versioning naming scheme (they both feature version numbers very similar to "v1.51.8.2C"), I wonder if they're actually different versions of the same driver set.

A lot of this confusion could be eliminated of Toshiba appended the software name and version to the name of the downloaded file, as in:

tc40209600b_elan-touchpad_11.8.11.4.exe

tc40209600d_elan-touchpad_11.8.13.3.exe

tc40209600e_elan-touchpad_11.8.14.1.exe

I've taken to renaming them myself, just to keep track of them properly during troubleshooting.

Update:

I think that these three sets are all keyboard-related, and may interact in some way:

• Toshiba Function Key Utility
  • Toshiba System Driver
  • Flash Cards Support Utility

People may have luck deinstalling/reinstalling/downgrading some of them, if the tips in this thread so far are not helpful.

NikkaiThomas

So while my touchpad was able to navigate the mouse arrow, it was still not able to perform the same task as prior to 8.1. So I updated the driver version to 17.0.8.21 (Date: 8/23/2013). And of course once I restarted my laptop, the touchpad stopped working again.

SOoo I went to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Devices and Printer>Mouse.

Once I was in Mouse Properties I went to Device Settings and noticed that Synaptics TouchPad V7.5 on PS/2 Port was Disabled. Once I Enabled it my TouchPad started working properly as it did prior to 8.1.

Hope that helps some :smileyvery-happy:

joeyju

Royce

Either way, kudos to the  Toshiba Flash Cards Utility solution.  My keyboard and mouse would have normally stopped working, but I'm glad that problem is fixed ~ even though I have no idea what this Support Driver is supposed to provide... Toshiba Service Station is no longer telling me that there is a new update (Toshiba Support Driver) and so I think it is safe to assume that it has installed on my computer.  

fogcitycory

Holy cow this thread is amazing. It's amazing the amount of patience people are exhibiting and the helpfulness of the community. I applaud everyone on this thread for not digressing into flames and swear words.

I purchased a Toshiba laptop for my girlfriend this Christmas. Her daughter found the computer's keyboard and touchpad unresponsive today while attempting to type a paper for school. Luckily, the touchscreen works still, but that's not really an acceptable alternative. This laptop is less than a month old.

I am out of town and cannot physically help them with fixing their computer. They're not really the dig-in-to-the-drivers-and-do-system-restores type. They have a difficult time changing the ink in the printer, if that gives you an indication of their level of computer expertise.

Is there a simple way to fix this issue that someone who is not techy at all can perform? I would help them if I could, but I'm far away at the moment.

Thank you.

-Cory

royce

Cory, if the symptoms have the same root cause, then I believe that the simplest route is for them to:

* Type the model number into the Toshiba download area

* Download the Flash Cards utility installer and run it.

... then that may work.  If it doesn't, then it's probably something non-trivial enough to require local geek hands.

Last week, I would have said "Install LogMeIn so that you can help them remotely next time" ... but I'm still mad at them for giving only seven day's notice that their free offering will be terminated. :-/

fogcitycory

Thank you, Royce. That utility doesn't seem to be available for the model computer she has. It's a Satellite C855D-S5307. There are a couple Realtek Card Reader drivers, but that doesn't seem right. Any other thoughts on what I could look into?

I mght try to have her install Team Viewer on her computer so I can help out remotely.

-Cory

pc9910

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

Can you provide a link to get these fixes? I am trying to fix a Toshiba L55-A5284. The PC does not even see the touchpad, I have downloaded the Synaptics Pointing device Driver after unistalling it to see if that would work, but no luck.  

I have read through the thread and believe I have done just about everything but my main thing is the computer won't recognize the touchpad as a mouse. 

LuigiY

Royce,

Thank you so much for your help!  I had the same problem with the E45T-AST2N1 after upgraded to Windows 8.1.  With your instructions, I removed all three programs from Uninstall Program at the Control Panel and re-install the latest from the Toshiba support area:

• Toshiba Function Key Utility
  • Toshiba System Driver
  • Flash Cards Support Utility

Now, my laptop works like it should be.  Thanks. :smileyvery-happy:

singalrohan

Royce & other enthusiastic members of this board:

I have a toshiba Portege R930, windows 8.0, I upgraded to Windows 8.1, fortunately experienced no problem at all.

Yesterday when Toshiba service station flashed 7 new updates, I started updating them. After I installed Realtek audio driver, my keyboard and touchpad went out of order. Fortunately USB driven mouse was working, USB driver keyboard was also not working. Surprisingly, the 8 shortcut keys on top of the USB keyboard (i.e. player, mute, volume down, volume up, home page, mail, calculator) they were working.

We called the Helpdesk of Toshiba in india, no help, we were told, that on monday, tomorrow someone will call me & then will visit on tuesday.

I got virual keyboard enabled to search for a help thread & voila, I found you guys. This thread was of big help.

The current result is that my laptop keyboard has started working & the USB keyboard is also working. So I am back in action. My touchpad mouse in the laptop is still not working.

Here is all that I tried. I wonder, which step did the work:

-  uninstalled Toshiba System Driver, restarted, no effect

-  could not find:  Toshiba Function Key Utility, Flash Cards Support Utility in the uninstall screen
- downloaded: fcsu-20131004090729.zip, installed, restarted, no effect

- downloaded: tpdrv-20121105161652.zip : this is the touchpad driver. installed, voila, the keyboards have started working. I wonder that the touchpad driver did not restore the touchpad functionality.

If anyone can guide further, how to enable the touchpad, it would be great help.

You guys are really life savers. Thanks once again.

Rohan

singalrohan

I also uninstalled toshiba PC health monitor & installed it again from service station. That was of no help.

How do I re install Toshiba System driver now?

Regards,

singalrohan

Solved the touchpad issue also.

After last steps, the service station says, synaptics touchpad version needs to be updated. In device manager, I say the triangle mark on the touchpad. Right clicked on that, it said - update driver. Search update driver in the current PC? I said yes, it found the synaptics touchpad driver of Sep 13 date. That is the same update driver, service station was also recommending.

I updated the touchpad driver. So now the touchpad as well as key board is fully functional.

Thanks guys.

Rohan

DinoNikic

Hello peeps im having the same problem and I think i founda small solution for that.

So , when the laptop boots up and when the Toshiba inovation screen goes away and a "__" appears after that I kept pressing F1 / F2 / F3 all at the same time, and the keyboard works (70%) and if the mouse is not working I just simply login to Ubuntu (13.10) and press FN & F5 and it works..

Try few times with pressing those bottoms at the same time, a black screen will come up with some text what you type ( F^2 ... bla bla something like that) Hope this will help you.

KiwiSteve

Toshiba L50A, same problem.  Though we have two users logged on and the problem only affects one user and we've had the laptop for about two months now.  Problem started suddenly just last night.

On the touch pad a little symbol comes up, a mouse with the no-smoking circle over it.

However I'm using the same laptop under my log on and not having the same problem yet.

Tomorrow taking the laptop back to the store we bought it from about 2 months ago and asking for a refund.  This bloody thing is not suitable for the purpose for which I purchased it.

Won't replace it with another Toshiba though.