rmikereese
Accepted Solution

Laptop keyboard and touchpad not working in Windows 8.1

I just upgraded my S875-S7248 to Windows 8.1 last night. At first, everything seemed to be fine. However, this morning, the keyboard and touchpad had stopped working, and nothing I've tried has fixed it.  After some research, I figured out how to open the Device Manager, and the both devices are showning the infamous yellow triangle. When I click on the device, I see the message "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is imcomplete or damaged (Code 19)". Both devices are PS/2 devices, and I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device, and updating the driver, but to no avail. In addition, I've run the Toshiba Service Station driver update, but it doesn't retrun any new updates either.

So, short of unstalling Windows 8, what can I do to fix this?

Peter

Re: Laptop keyboard and touchpad not working in Windows 8.1

Try downloading and reinstalling this if you haven't.

Synaptics Touch Pad Driver Version: 16.3.4.0 Posted Date: 2013-08-07

- Peter
rmikereese

Yes, I tried that, but it didn't help.

M

Peter

I don't have a solution at this time. You might want to call customer support. You could also try using System Restore. If a restore point wasn't made last night (I don't know if Windows makes one after doing the upgrade automatically), it may roll you back to before the upgrade was installed.

- Peter
dsaxton

I am also having this same issue. After installing windows 8.1 on my Toshiba Satellite L855-S5112 the mouse and keyboard no longer work.  They continued to work after the install until I performed the first system restart and then stopped working.  I am able to acess the bios and use the keyboard inside it.  I am also able to plug in and use a USB mouse.  I have noticed that after powering on the laptop (after being turned off entirely) i can cycle the caps lock and num lock until the circle of dots appears under the "Toshiba" logo. After these circling dots appear the num-lock light is solid on and the caps-lock light is solid off neither will cycle.  So far I have attempted disabling and re-enabling the drivers in the Devices panel.   The error that appears in the touch pad Driver status is "This device cannot start. (Code 10) Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API"  The error that appears in the keyboard device status is "Windows cannot start this device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged"

raldr

I have this problem also with Windows 8.1 and a Satellite P775-S7230.

It seems to be caused by this Toshiba update:

Toshiba Support Driver, Posted Date: 2013-10-17, Version: 1.51.81.2C, Size: 11.34M

I created a system restore point prior to this drive installation, and the keyboard worked fine.

I installed this drive and then the keyboard would not work.

So to get the option to go back to a restore point, hold down the power button on your laptop a couple of times.  Windows will then provide startup/recovery options when it things the system is failing to startup a couple of times.

joeyju

Hi rmikereese

I had the same issue - but luckily you dont have to uninstall Windows 8 (at least I didn't need to)

Running a system restore should bring your computer before you installed the "critical updates" from Toshiba.  Fortunately I had a usb mouse already installed (because like you, my touchpad was also not working)

1.  Restart Computer and Sign In

Note: I had to use the on-screen keyboard option found on the Ease of Access found at the bottom left of the screen

2.  Right Click on "My Computer" (aka "Computer" aka "This PC") and click on Properties

3.  Click on System Protection (3rd option on the left menu)

At this point a new System Properties window will pop up already on a System Protection tab

4.  Click System Restore...

5.  Choose restore point --> I had an option for "Windows Update" which was a "Critical Update"

My computer reset the registry and my touchpad and keyboard began working again!

When Toshiba tells you that you have Updates (Toshiba Support Driver)  IGNORE IT!

Hope this works for you!

-Joe 

Zipkat

Laptop keyboard gone 8.1 DO NOT LOAD THE TOSHIBA SUPPORT DRIVER 10-17 PRESCRIBED FOR WINDOWS 8.1

Same issue Qosmio X775-3DV80

I fixed it by returning to the last restore point. I created a restore drive, via Flash drive, on a different 8.1 PC. Go to advanced in the restore interface and there you can access restore. DO NOT RELOAD THE TOSHIBA SUPPORT DRIVER. I immediately removed my password for Windows (I was not able to enter the PW and therefore unable to enter Windows) to test the driver theory and found that under all circumstances the TOSHIBA SUPPORT DRIVER PRESCRIBED FOR WINDOWS 8.1 removed my ability to use my keyboard.

Peter

Re: Laptop keyboard gone 8.1 DO NOT LOAD THE TOSHIBA SUPPORT DRIVER 10-17 PRESCRIBED FOR WINDOWS 8.

Thank you all for the information. I'm escalating this. I appreciate the identification of the file causing the problem. In case it's asked of me, if any of you could let me know whether you performed all Windows Updates and Service Station updates available BEFORE upgrading to 8.1 as well, that would be useful.

- Peter
Mariner1

Re: Laptop keyboard gone 8.1 DO NOT LOAD THE TOSHIBA SUPPORT DRIVER 10-17 PRESCRIBED FOR WINDOWS 8.

Had the exact same issue on my P755-S5184

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=3253813

Toshiba Support Driver File: TC40209000B.exe Version: 1.51.81.2C Posted Date: 2013-10-17

Loaded this driver and my keyboard was totally locked up. Had to boot with a Windows 8.1 disk and use the
Restore Point I had made before loading this driver (good thing I made one).

Mariner1

BTW my USB Keyboard and laptop keyboard were totally non-functional. However my USB mouse and the TouchPad
were still operational.

Peter

I believe if you uninstall Toshiba PC Health Monitor manually and then install it through Service Station, you won't have the problem any longer. If anyone feels like doing that and then trying the driver again, I'd appreciate the feedback.

joeyju, if you could give me your full model and part numbers off the label on the bottom, that would be helpful as well.

- Peter
Mariner1

Well I downloaded the file direct from the Toshiba Support site for my computer and installed it and that happened.

Windows 8.1 64 bit from an update of Windows 8 64 bit.

Don't have Health Monitor or Service Station installed.

Peter

Thanks for the information, Mariner1. If anyone else tries that, please let me know how it works out. While the problems sound similar, some of you seem to have slightly different symptoms, so all the information helps.

- Peter
tslate

Same problem here.  Once I login in all keyboard functions cease, mouse still works on a Satellite C75D-A7213.

Did not get a restore point.

I did do all of the WIn8 and Toshiba updates before installing 8.1. 

Only error msg i get is "Can't find LogiLDA.dll", or words to that effect.  But that is a Logitec downloader I believe, so it should not be a problem with the keyboard.

Peter

tslate, do you have Toshiba PC Health Monitor installed? If so, can you uninstall it?

- Peter
JuliaZapata

Hi,

I have the same problem on my Satellite L755-S5158 after Windows 8.1 update. My keyboard works as usual but my mouse pad doesn't work at all. I always use a USB mouse however, but I want my mouse pad to work as it did before. Is there any solution rather than restoring the system before Windows 8.1 update? Are you working on a solution that allows me to stay on Windows 8.1 and have my mouse pad working ok??? Thank you!

joeyju

[ Edited ]

Peter, 

To answer your previous questions, I did install all the windows update AND Toshiba Service Station Updates prior to my Windows 8.1 update.  After updating to Windows 8.1, I went back to the Service Station and proceeded to install the recommended updates.  I updated everything, then I restarted my laptop.  When the computer rebooted, all keyboard and touchpad functionality did not work.  I ran a System restore prior to the updates in drivers, and decided to install the drivers one by one, restarting after each of them.  

I installed the Toshiba Support Driver first, and that's when the problem with the keyboard and touchpad reoccured.  After running another System Restore, I simply installed the rest of the Drivers from Toshiba Service Station while ignoring the Toshiba Support Driver. (JMICRON Card Reader update will not install) Other than that, my laptop has been fine since.

My Toshiba Model:    Satellite P755-S5120

Part Number:              PSAY1U-0DV026

Peter

If you don't mind trying, could you create a System Restore point, uninstall Toshiba PC Health Monitor, reinstall it via TSS, and then download and install the Toshiba Support Driver and see if it works? I understand that might be a lot of work that's not needed since it's working for you currently, but you choose to do it, it could help us. I'm still reporting the data that I find here in the forum, and I'd like to get this solved for everyone.

- Peter
joeyju

Peter

That did not seem to work... I created a System Restore Point, uninstalled Toshiba PC Health Monitor, reinstalled it via Toshiba Service Station, restarted my computer, and installed the Toshiba Support Driver.  Afterwards my computer restarted and my keyboard and touchpad did not work.  

Had to run a system restore to regain functionality of my laptop. 

What is the Toshiba Support Driver supposed to do?