HellyS90
Accepted Solution

Laptop Keyboard not working properly

I have had this Toshiba Satellite L755D-128 since October last year but last night it developed a strange problem with the keyboard. It seemed to be under the impression that the CTRL key was being held down permanently, when actually it wasn't. The letters on the keyboard would not work, I couldn't even get to the option to start the computer in safe mode as the computer wouldn't recognise that I was pressing the fn keys. After a great deal of messing about I managed to access system restore and restore the computer to an earlier point but this didn't change anything. Frustrated, I switched the computer off and went to bed. Today, the computer no longer seems to think the CTRL key is being held down but the keys are doing strange things, for instance;

typing "s" gives me "xs"

"m" gives me "mj"

"c" gives "cd"

"d" gives "cd"

Delete does delete put it also replaces the deleted character with a "."

Caps lock types "Qq"

As I'm sure you can understand this is quite distressing and really rather irritating, without making deletions I actually type like this: without mjaking cdeletionxs I acdtually type like thixs:{

I have exams next week but have no idea how this happened or the slightest idea how to fix it. Any help anyone could provide would be very much appreciated.

HellyS90

Re: Laptop Keyboard not working properly

I have followed some of the advice on the forum and uninstalled the keyboard driver via devide manager and then reinstalled it again but I am still experiencing the same problem.

Peter

You might want to try turning off the computer, unplugging it completely, turning it upside down (while still open), and gently shaking it to see if anything might be stuck under the keys.

I'd also recommend you check to see if the keys function the same way in Safe Mode. If they're the same in Safe Mode, it's likely a hardware failure that would require servicing.

- Peter
HellyS90

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply. I tried turning the laptop upsidedown to see if anything needed to be dislodged and I also gave it a hoover out but the problem persisted. So I followed your advice and booted up the computer in safe mode and the result is the same, so my next step is probably to contact Toxshiba? 

Many thanks

Peter

Unfortunately, yes. If you have to send it in for repairs, it's likely that support will do a recovery, which means they'll wipe the hard drive and return it to its factory default conditions. This is a common troubleshooting step that's done even when it seems like it would be unneeded. What this means to you is that if you do need to send it for repairs, you'll probably want to back up all your important files before sending it. Of course, it can't hurt to call customer support and see what they have to say about it.

- Peter
HellyS90

Thank you Peter. What about my version of windows? My version of Windows 7, Word etc was purchased online and downloaded onto this computer, will I be able to back up windows onto my external hard drive? I haven't made any recovery media yet as it says it will require several DVD disks which I never got round to buying.

Thank you for your help.

Peter

I just realized that your model is from the UK. While I can give you advice about the computer, Toshiba's processes in that region might be different. (For example, maybe you can remove the hard drive before shipping it to them. I have no idea.)

Performing a recovery will return it to the way it was when you got it. That means that if you upgraded to a different version of Windows, you'll get the old one back. Because you purchased Word online, that won't be there. For each program that you have installed (and want to be able to reinstall later), you'll need to figure out how to do that. Most applications can't be backed up simply by copying them to USB stick or something similar. Often times online retailers allow you to download software again, so you may want to look into Microsoft's policy about that.

- Peter
HellyS90

OK, in that case I'll contact Toshiba and see what they say. Thank you for all your help.

apdatis

I bought my Tecra R850 in June 2011 and have lived a keyboard nightmare ever since. Lucky I have a 3-year warranty. First, BIOS was updated, Second, computer was formatted (I had full backup) and next week it's going back in for a new keyboard. Touch pad has been virtually disabled by Toshiba to avoid the nightmare of problems it causes. Typing is also a nightmare because the cursers has a mind of it's own. The space bar is the real joke .... it works correctly 50% of the time. This is my third Tecra over the last 10 years and I guarantee, my last!

Typing this blog required no less than 20 corrections caused by a malfunctioning key board.

APD34

Occasional Contributor
marwe69

If your keyboard is really messing up that badly it could be software but even worse it could be hardware; did you drop it or spill liquid on it that may have damaged it? Do you have a USB keyboard that you could plug in and see if that works?

HellyS90

Hi thank you for replying. Basically I think it was a hardware problem because I replaced the keyboard and now it is working perfectly. I was worried that if I sent my laptop into Toshiba they would wipe the hard drive and I didn't want to have to spend money on replacing my version of windows so I spent about £20 on a new keyboard and installed it myself.  As for what happened to the old one, I have no idea why it suddenly stopped working. I didn't spill anything on it, I hadn't dropped the laptop or anything.

troytee

I have a Toshiba Satellite that has had flaky keyboard input since I purchased it. It looks like I'm just making typos, but in reality it ignores random keystrokes and requires correction on every sentence written. The exact same thing occurs when I have an external keyboard plugged in, so it's not a physical thing on the laptop keyboard. Has anyone else had this issue or do I just have a lemon? Is there possibly any fix for this? It's driving me crazy! (I also hate that the Function keys require the FN button to be pressed for normal use).
GmaSue

I have the same problem with my Satellite P855-S5200 laptop. Did you get yours fixed?

troytee

If you mean my post, no.  I just keep correcting typos I didn't make.  I'll never buy another Toshiba laptop.  What an issue that seems to have no fix!

zzmel7

Yes.  Ever since I purchased the computer, I have random problems typing.  Sometimes when I am typing, the insertion point goes somewhere else and I have to look constantly on the screen so it will not continue typing where it is not supposed to.  Also, at times I may get another character which does not belong.  It doesn't happen continually so I did not feel it was a real problem.  I purchased the computer last October and at first it started to do this a lot more than now.  After five months, it has improved.  I am thinking that the keyboard was so new and not broken in yet like a car.  :smileyhappy:  Overall I find this computer working great and the built in recovery feature quite good.  What I don't understand why this computer is no longer manufactured which is the P875-S7200.

raviteja

on my  keyboard space bar, right shift, escape,  4, 6, fn, f7, keys are not working properly. plz say the reason.

dbbwrrn

The exact keys as the person above me in not working on our Toshiba laptop.  I was wondering if they ever found out the cause?

Peter

Pattieinla

I just had this problem and was about to give up and take it for professional service- then decided to click on the 'switch user' button- voila! I typed in the normal password and NO MORE KEYBOARD ISSUES. I still don't know what caused the issue- but this fixed it- without having to restore or uninstall, etc. Hope it helps!

Cyntexas

This may not help in every case, but I have found that using a simple usb laptop cooler (2 fans) solves many problems.  When a laptop gets hot, it does not work very well, and just about any kind of weird problem can show up.  I have always used the fans, and also a surge protector (small one plug is easy to carry) on my laptops and have never had these problems.