Nlcjavi

L745-s4210. Some letters and numbers don't work

Hello!

Two days ago, I was working with my laptop and Some letters and numbers stopped working.

I have to write them with the On-screen Keyboard:

This are: r, y, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 0.

No coffee, or an other liquid, has fallen into the keyboard. It just stopped working.

No viruses found.

Computer restored done.

I didn't find the drivers at the Toshiba's web site, so if someone can write the link would be fine.

Any other tip?

Thank you so much.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: L745-s4210. Some letters and numbers don't work

First thing to try, Nic, would be a System Reset.  Turn off computer. Remove all attachments and battery. Press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds.  Attach Power and insert battery.  Start computer and tap F2 at the Toshiba splash screen to get in BIOS.  Press F9 to setup system defaults. Answer Yes. Press F10 to Save Configuration Changes and Exit.  Answer Yes to complete the process.  The computer will restart.

If that doesn't work, do a System Restore back to at least 3 days ago.

If that doesn't work, go to Device Manager, double click on Keyboards, right click on the built-in keyboard listed there, click Uninstall. Restart computer and driver will be reinstalled automatically.

You won't find keyboard drivers anywhere else because they are included in  Windows.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Nlcjavi

Hi again!

I did everything you told me and it didn't work.

Any othe ideas?

Thanks!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Well, Nic, I pretty well gave you all the software repair options available to us. If it were me, I would go back through the list a second and even third time.  You would be surprised how much perseverance pays off in tracking down software glitches.

The only way now to determine conclusively if the problem is software or hardware would be to do a complete out-of-box recovery. You would need to back up anything you didn't want to lose because the machine would be returned to the day you opened the box and you would have to rebuild programs, data, and updates since then. And if you still have the problem, you would know that it was a hardware problem. Full instructions will be found on page 64 of your User's Guide.

Or you could assume it's the hardware and get a new keyboard and either replace it yourself or have a repair shop do it for you.  Of course, if it happens to still be under warranty, you can call Toshiba tech support at 800-457-7777  and get it fixed free.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
nquinn123

Hi

I know I'm a bit late replying but I'm having the exact same problem as you did with the exact same keys and I have no idea how or why it's happening. I was just wondering if you found a solution, and if it's a hardware issue and I need to have my keyboad fixed? Thanks in advance!

Niall