marquetry

Re: L675 Keyboard misses letters when typing or is generally slow

I agree with kbjj.

Why go through the hassle of sending the computer in if there is no solution?

I will wait until there is a solution, then take action.

My only worry is that my WARRANTY WILL EXPIRE BEFORE THAT TIME.

Toshiba would go far in easing my mind if they offered everyone with these laptops an extension on their warranty so that they don't get screwed before a solution is found.

For those who can't wait it out, maybe a discount on a different model in exchange.

No one with a laptop that has these problems should get screwed by having their warranty expire before Toshiba finds a solution. The long wait is Toshiba's fault, not the consumers.

Issue a warranty extension to all owners that goes to 3 months after a permanent solution is achieved.

Just a thought...

Sunkissed7

The reason I'm considering sending it in is because I still have the warranty. I don't want to wait until they find a solution, and like you said, have my warranty expire by the time that happens. Even if I doubt they'll be able to fix it, at least I will have made the attempt (in their minds) to try and get the problem solved. Perhaps then I can have some kind of recourse to possibly exchange to another model or something.

(Of course, it's a good thing I still have my old HP laptop to work on in the interim!)

Occasional Contributor
Mihasi

Jim, if you look back at my posts in this thread, I was very optimistic about Toshiba finding the root cause and offering a solution when I first came here. Even after I learned it had already been four months without a solution I was still pretty sure a solution would follow soon. I'm not one to immediately start complaining and pointing fingers. Two months, three broken laptops (if you coun't my DOA replacement) and two warranty repairs later I still have no solution. I feel that me and Toshiba's other customers have been patient enough with this issue. It's hard to imagine Toshiba has been looking into this for the last six months and still not found any solution. Given enough time and the right resources even lrodgers and me would probably be able to solve it in a shorter period... If you cannot find any solution after all this time, you should offer your customers some kind of compensation, it's as simple as that. 

sadzior90, I completely agree with you, this is not a ideal solution. I had endured this issue for a couple of months, but now that my exams are drawing so close I could not wait anymore. I move my laptop around alot during this period (my courses are all digital and I prefer to change my study environment from time to time), which in itself would not be that big of an issue. The main problem is that I have to present my projects in a week, so everything has to be properly installed and configured. I didn't want to spend all that time installing it on a laptop that would have to be returned to the shop anymore, I had wasted enough time with that during the past few months. This way I had to install and configure everything one last time and hopefully be done with it for the rest of the year. Lastly, to me it just doesn't look professional to give presentations and demo's on a laptop with an external keyboard on top of it. I've gotten weird looks from my fellow students the past couple of months, I didn't want that to happen with the jury that will be grading my work. It might be a bit vain, but as this is my final year I want to do everything right. 

I believe the only way to solve the problem is to keep returning the laptop to the shop while it's under warranty. Don't check if it works, just assume it's still broken and send it back, you will be right (and chances are Toshiba uses the same approach for your warranty repair). You probably have a warranty of two years, so the shop will eventually get sick of this after a while and just offer you a refund. If I'm not mistaking I had suggested this in a previous post as well, though it might be the one that mysteriously dissapeared. Weird how those things happen. I wouldn't advise Toshiba to go looking for a root cause though, there are more important matters to spend the next six months on.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

kbjj,

One correction: I didn't say that the problem is in the BIOS or controller.  I just responded to other members statements of that as a fact by saying that it seemed like a reasonable guess, BUT that the actual cause is not known.

Regarding your suggestion of alternative solutions, no Toshiba staff in a position to make such offers are active here in the forums but I'll forward the suggestion to Customer Service management.

Jim

maestroo1986

i notice when i use my laptop without battery its work fine..when i get battery back works good 1-3 days..

beckabee1981

I HIGHLY advise following Jim's advise about sending him a private message in regards to this problem:  I did and I am EXTREMELY satisfied with Toshiba's response!!

jim wrote:

All,

Technical staff is researching this issue and has requested that I collect some information.  If you're experiencing the subject symptom of this thread please send me a Private Message with the following information:

• Contact name
  • Contact email
  • Part Number (from bottom sticker)
  • Serial number (from bottom sticker)
  • BIOS version (available by running the 'hwsetup' utility)
  • Instructions on how to reproduce, if known

Click here to send me a Private Message.

Thanks,

Jim

Thank you again Jim!  It's good to know that sometimes the "little guy" comes out even in the end :smileyhappy:

Rebecca

Rebecca
Occasional Contributor
Mihasi

Did they pay you or are you a friend of someone who works for Toshiba, "little guy"? You must have gotten another response than the rest of us. I was one of the first people to send Jim a message and the response was "Thank you. We are working on it.". I was pleased with it at that time, but two months later the message hasn't changed and my laptops are still broken. 

Jim, just for the record, I am not attacking you personally. For all I know you are doing exactly as you say and just relaying everything back and forth between Toshiba and this forum. It's Toshiba and their message that I am displeased with.

Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

this post is just insulting, Rebecca. Way to go toshiba, now you cemented me as your client forever

Occasional Contributor
mangopurple

jim wrote:

As far as standard processes go, if warranty repairs don't resolve the issue then cases can be escalated to the Customer Relations team.

Jim

How? Could you please explain the process to escalate my case to the Customer Relations team? 

Let's get it done!

Occasional Contributor
Mihasi

mangopurple wrote:
How? Could you please explain the process to escalate my case to the Customer Relations team? 

Let's get it done!

Give them some time, mangopurple! Surely you can't expect them to be working this hard on finding the root of the keyboard problem AND hiring people to save their brand image AND finding a good temporary solution for their customers, all at the same time? After all, it's only been half a year.

Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

mangopurple,

Escalation in the US would normally be handled in the call center (800-457-7777), by calling them to report that you received your laptop back from repair but are still experiencing the same problem.  

However, since your laptop was not marketed in the US, you'll need to contact the local Toshiba support organization in your region.  

Jim

Occasional Contributor
mangopurple

[ Edited ]

jim wrote:

you'll need to contact the local Toshiba support organization in your region.  

Thanks Jim, will do.

Fail link though - "The page you are trying to access was not found. Please check your URL for typos and try again. "
Anyway I think that's BMS in Adelaide so I'll ring them and ask for escalation.  I know they have a list of people who still have the issue after repairs.
[ admin edit to correct URL link ]
Occasional Contributor
mangopurple

Give them some time, mangopurple! Surely you can't expect them to be working this hard on finding the root of the keyboard problem AND hiring people to save their brand image AND finding a good temporary solution for their customers, all at the same time? After all, it's only been half a year.

Do you think this post has increased your chances of a successful outcome or had any positive effect at all?

Food for thought.

Insales

ay, folks this is ridiculous. i believe there has to be recouorse for the lack of action we ar recieving her.  take a lok and the answer may lie at th bottom right of the wwebsite. thi is a BBB accredited bsiness we need to file claims with them to get a big brother advocaate on our side. I would much prefer good customer service and communicaton fro the compny i gave many hundreds of my hard earned dolars to, but it is wht it is.. I hope this is an issue that can be fixed painlesly between consumer and provier, i just want to movee on with my life wth an investment where the essential hardware works as i is supposed to.

Administrator
jim

Thanks for the heads up on the broken URL, which was missing the leading "http://".  The full URL is http://pc.support.global.toshiba.com.

Jim

raybell1975

I have been referred to this post by a kind contributor who spotted my post detailing exactly the same problem as being discussed here.

I must admit that I am as frustrated on all your collected behalfs with the lack of responsiveness from Toshiba, as I am with this massively irrating keyboard issue personally. That is to say I am frustrated that Toshiba haven't fixed this problem or recalled the product rather than anything directed at the few Toshiba employees who have fronted up in this forum and are at least trying to assist; whilst their Management, Directors and those with the real power to sort this are cowering somewhere in the background as per.

A few points from me:

• Some of the posts indicate that this problem is 6-7 months old or so. The first post on this string alone was 8/2/2010. It would be interesting if Jim could inform us a) as to the date this issue first became known to Toshiba and b) what is actually being done on it right now? I fear the response to a) would be even more embarrassing than it is already.
  • I can confirm that I have contacted Jim as he requested but heard nothing since. I do applaud Rebecca's positive optimism but the reality is people have been suffering from this problem for a minimum of 11 months and that is unacceptable (notwithstanding her own positive experience)
  • Furthermore, Toshiba has sold this product for months, knowing it had serious issues and I'd like someone senior at Toshiba to join this post and explain, ethically, how they can justify taking peoples hard earned money for a known faulty product?
  • I attempted the battery removal fix and on the first occassion it sorted me out for a few weeks. The issue then returned and I followed the same procedure - but this time it only sorted me for a couple of days. Now, the "fix" only works for an hour or so. And I expect to be reporting soon that the fix only gives me a few minutes of happy typing (if any at all!)
  • Any other product you care to think about, that had a fault that so badly affected its useablity, would simply be withdrawn from sale and potentially recalled.
  • Too many times, hardware manufacturers hide behind the complexity of the technology and blame the OS/apps/user etc. before themselves. On this occassion, Toshiba Board of Directors, the buck stops firmly with you. So please "man up" and fix it or refund us or give us a new (better spec for the hassle) laptop.
  • Its not like battery issues or recalls are new to Toshibas Laptop division:

http://www.itproportal.com/2010/9/3/toshiba-issues-recall-410000-laptop-batteries/

http://news.techworld.com/security/2522/toshiba-vast-laptop-recall-over-memory-corruption-fears/

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion to Jim. Would it be possible for you to simply refer this (and any related posts) to a senior manager/director of the Customer Service directorate/business unit/silo (globally) and ask them to post some instructions about how all Toshiba's customers can have this escalated? Your suggestion for us to escalate on a regional basis, simply splinters the collective momentum that this forum and this post has already. That tactic doesn't do any favours to Toshiba or their unhappy customers. Furthermore this is a global issue so should be treated as such.

If this suggestion does not appeal to Toshiba's obligation to customer service, then I can only suggest a more direct action approach of a Facebook page/Twitter blog (as a petiton) alongside a more formal localised approach in each country i.e. here in the UK I am sure that the Sale of Goods Act 1979 has protections for us on this and Trading Standards would therefore be interested. Furthermore, people may be entitled to a refund via their credit card provider for example.

If this appeals to anyone, I believe that the best organisation to complain about this is below, but I am happy to be corrected:

CompanyComputer Systems - Toshiba Information Systems (UK) Ltd
CountryUnited Kingdom
Company TypeProduct Division
AddressToshiba Court, Weybridge Business Park, Addlestone Road

KT15 2UL, Weybridge, Surrey, United Kingdom
Phone0844 847 8944
Fax0844 576 2523
Company Web Sitewww.computers.toshiba.co.uk
National Entry Pagewww.toshiba.co.uk

If correct, the relevant Trading Standards is in Kingston:

http://www.kingston.gov.uk/browse/business/trading_standards/contact_trading_standards.htm

I welcome any sort of response from anyone senior at Toshiba. I will take no response as a clear indication that my best path is to follow a more formal route.

Regards

Ray

Occasional Contributor
Mihasi

Do you think this post has increased your chances of a successful outcome or had any positive effect at all?

Food for thought.

None at all. At this point I am convinced there is no succesful outcome. I had high hopes when I first came here and I was more than willing to participate, but because of the way this issue is being treated I'm getting increasingly pessimistic over it.

That being said, I acknowledge that my previous posts have been nothing more than rants and that's not what this board is for. I apologize for the littering, I'll find another way to vent my frustration and refrain from posting until I have something constructive to say.

dave666

ray, thanks for the great post. its good to see that customers do have some  protection from this kind of thing - at least here in the uk. i first started seeing problems with the keyboard a few days after buying the laptop. at this time it would have been possible to return it to the shop for a full refund. i wrongly assumed toshiba would release a fix pretty quickly though, and that was nearly 5 months ago :smileysad: but im still hopeful the company will come good on this.

for anyone interested in the testing i am doing with changes to power settings in the bios. its been 1 week so far and the keyboard is still behaving. i have just 2 settings changed in there now (esata = disabled, wake on keyboard = enabed). ive no idea why these modifications would make a difference or even if this is a temporary nice period before the keyboard goes bad again, but im just passing the information on. it might be useul.

Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

alright i set up my bios the same as you ( esata off, wake on keyboard on). We well see how it behaves now. I'll make sure to inform you about any progress

sloncto

Has anyone tried removing Microsoft updates one-by-one to see if they might be the cause