marquetry

Re: L675 Keyboard misses letters when typing or is generally slow

Excellent post!

Now let's hear from the engineering team at Toshiba...

Where are you guys at on this issue, and does this new info jibe with what you have found so far?

If this is the case, do you feel confident that a permanent fix is likely to come out soon?

We just want to know what you've found out so far, and where you're at in the process.... Even if only to mention what you have eliminated as a cause.

It's the silence that rubs our fur the wrong way.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
rvstrien

[ Edited ]

Hi Gents,

I'm sharing the same frustration as you guys, bought the Toshiba L670-137 after reading some good reviews on internet, they didn't mention the horrible keyboard problem though...

I doon't want to demotivate you guys, but I called Toshiba belgium lately, and they told me they still didn't have a clue what the prblem could be. BIOS 1.8 doesn't fix anything here...

Worse, when I tried to return the notebook to MediaMarkt, the "service" man behind the counter was anything but friendly, suggesting the keyboard problem was ppbly my own fault... All he could do is send the laptop for repairs. When I asked him which one the words "can't be repaired" he didn't understand, he told me there was nothing else he could do to help me.

Hope you guys have more luck if you decide to try to return it...

dave666

hi guys

im just wondering, did anyone try playing with the power settings in bios to see if it makes any difference to this? it really seems to be related to power for me, so i changed some settings in there to see what happens. keyboard seems ok so far, but its turning off some performace in the laptop :smileysad:

as well as the keyboard, i notied some other weird things on this laptop since buying it, maybe its related to the same thing. when coming out of sleep, quite often the screen and mouse will work, but i am not able to click on anything for maybe 30-60 seconds, then everything works fine again. also the display will go a bit strange, where everything goes much brighter for a while. at first i thought it was just my eyes, but its happend a few times. last thing, did anyone ever get the laptop totally lock up with the fan on full speed? it happend the first day i got the laptop home, but not again. if we all have these problems too it might be useful to know.

still no word from toshiba :smileysad: hopefully they are working on the late christmas present we are all waiting for :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
rvstrien

Hmm interesting, which setting did u change?

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

Wish I had an answer for you but I don't have any status update to provide at this point except that a root cause has not yet been identified and it is an open issue.  

Meanwhile, the warranty repair route is always an option, of course.  I've noted a report or two of ongoing trouble after a repair, so it's important to include a description of the intermittent nature of the problem with your repair paperwork so techs have a clear idea of what they're trying to fix and can test appropriately.

Jim

Occasional Contributor
rvstrien

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jim, I do appreciate your status updates, even if the news is no news...

dave666

rvstrien wrote:

Hmm interesting, which setting did u change?

im not very scientific so i just went into the bios and changed pretty much everything in power - my settings in there are:

wake on lan - disabled
wake on keyboard - enabled (changed)
critical battery wakeup - enabled
dynamic frequency mode - always low (changed)
core multiprocessing - enabled
intel turbo boost - disabled (changed)
esata - disabled (changed)
sata interface setting - performance

this is day 2 and the keyboard is working perfectly so far. only noticable side effects are the laptop is now working really slow obviously and (i could be wrong but) the blue indicators on the front now stay on much longer when then laptop is shutdown and the power disconnected - i will check this later. if things go well i will put back each setting to the default over a few weeks and see which one brings the problem back. this thing is so random though it could all just be a waste of time :smileyhappy:

its great to hear from jim, i feel a lot better knowing this problem is still being looked at.

Occasional Contributor
rvstrien

I see

aall i can say is that this one:

had no effectt for me (as you can see).

i believe this one:

sata interface setting - performance

waas set to performance by default on my laptop.

dave666

rvstrien wrote:

I see

aall i can say is that this one:

had no effectt for me (as you can see).

thanks, this is good to know. i will put the dynamic frequency mode back to default and keep testing on my system. im really happy with the keyboard so far today, but the real test is whether this is still working by next week.

Occasional Contributor
rvstrien

HI all, my keyboardseems to be gettng worse and wose, i'm not fakingthis. I hope Toshiba isgoing to dosomething for me soon. ow on earth am I supposed to work like this? I cacnt even log in to my emal because it says my password is incorect.

Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

guys try disable esata in power management i bios, i've done that about two hours ago and it seems to be ok so far. Sorry in advance if it comes back though :smileysad: I just wanted to let you know

Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

**bleep**, it doesnt work

Occasional Contributor
Mihasi

[ Edited ]

jim wrote:

Wish I had an answer for you but I don't have any status update to provide at this point except that a root cause has not yet been identified and it is an open issue.  

Meanwhile, the warranty repair route is always an option, of course.  I've noted a report or two of ongoing trouble after a repair, so it's important to include a description of the intermittent nature of the problem with your repair paperwork so techs have a clear idea of what they're trying to fix and can test appropriately.

Jim

I had written a reply to lrodgers' post, which I completely agree with, but somehow my reply dissapeared. I'm not sure why, but I'll assume it was a technical failure and try again. Here is the gist of it:

Jim, I appreciate the update (even though it has been weeks since we've heard anything from you), but warranty repair is NOT an option. My L670 had it's motherboard replaced and the issue is still there. I'm picking the P300 up from repair somewhere this week and I can guarantee you that I'll be back to post it is still broken as well. I'll repeat what has been shown in this forum a couple of times: it is a BIOS failure, not a hardware failure. I don't think Toshiba realises how many customers they are losing by ignoring this issue. Toshiba now has the brand image of Packard Bell in my environment, which will definitely not vote well for sales. If they would really be working on it, they would have found something after six months.

Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

i also noticed that your post disappeared, i thought that you deleted it though. Buying a new notebook isnt a solution, when i pay almost 800 euro, i can expect the hardware to work, can't i?

Sunkissed7

I just encountered this same keyboard issue yesterday afternoon - I've only had the laptop for 5 weeks now!

I've called tech support and they had me reset back to out of the box settings, which did not solve my problem.

It's under warranty and I'm guessing the next step might be to send it in for repair. Has anyone who had this keyboard problem sent it in, and if so, were they able to fix the problem??

Luckily I still have my old laptop to use in the interim, but I don't want to hold out hope if sending it in for a repair isn't ultimately going to do the trick. :smileysad:

Administrator
jim

Mihasi,

The possibility that this issue can be resolved by a BIOS update is a good educated guess, but Toshiba doesn't yet know the root cause and I'm not in a position to speculate.  

As far as standard processes go, if warranty repairs don't resolve the issue then cases can be escalated to the Customer Relations team.

Jim

Administrator
jim

lrodgers,

The issue being within the BIOS or keyboard controller code is a good guess considering the symptom details, but devising a solution requires finding the exact root cause and then correcting it.  There is ongoing effort to do so. 

Jim

bethdo97

The repair track to resolve this issue is a joke.  Took computer into the store for warrenty repair and after a week, received it back with "unable to reproduce issue over longterm sustainable use"  Not exactly sure what this means, but to me it means, Toshiba doesn't give a crap about their customers.  My daughter had a laptop from Toshiba for 14 months before the problem with hers became so bad it made the system unusable.  Well documented problem on the forums, lots of lip service from Toshiba about looking for a solution to the problem, but in the end now they tell us that the computer is out of warrenty - sorry there is nothing we can do about it now.  I refuse to get stuck with an expensive paperweight.  This machine is going back today.  I advise everyone with this problem to do the same thing.  Hit them in the pocketbook!!!!!

kbjj

[ Edited ]

Jim;

In my many calls with Technical Support, they have suggested sending my laptop in for warranty service, as have you both in private messages to me and in your posts.

With all due respect, though, from a customer standpoint here is why warranty service is not a very appealing option:

1.  Toshiba does not know what the problem is

2.  Sending a machine in for warranty service WILL result in a complete refresh -- meaning all work, programs, etc, need to be backed up because they will be lost.  The hard drive will be wiped and restored to baseline (there is no option for me to remove the hard drive before sending the machine in as other manufacturers allow, as a matter of fact removing the hard drive voids my warranty).

3.  Then, following warranty service, I need to reload all programs, files, etc... (which for me is a month-long process because I can't commit the 3 or 4 days it takes to do that)

4.   But, there is no assurance that even with that the problem will be solved.  Especially if, as you point out, the problem is with the BOIS or the keyboard controller code, then even with all the above effort there is a good likelihood the problem will soon re-emerge.

So, in my estimation, it is better to hold off and hope that Toshiba can indeed find the root cause of the problem because without that any warranty service is just going to be a hit-or-miss attack on symptoms, no guarantee of success and certainly guaranteed to cause the customer a great deal of work.

My thinking is to hold off on warranty service until Toshiba understands what the problem is.  I would suggest maybe offering alternatives to your customers (trade ins for machines that are known to work, for example).

I do appreciate your willingness to post updates and provide status and responses to the board, at least we know the issue is being looked at.

Am I missing something in my above assessment?

Sunkissed7

So if the warranty repair does not fix the problem and it is escalated to the Customer Relations team - what does that mean? If the problem can't be fixed, would I be able to get a comparable model that does not have this issue?