Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

Re: L675 Keyboard misses letters when typing or is generally slow

what exact model do you have? I presume that it's the new bios 1.80?

For me the problem still occurs, but it seems to do it less often. Well, maybe thats just auto-suggestion

Occasional Contributor
ahson

sadzior90 wrote:

For me the problem still occurs, but it seems to do it less often. Well, maybe thats just auto-suggestion

Right mine isss  1.80 versiion here. The keyboood lag issue hs been buggng meeemore often   and much worse now as youucan see frrom my  typing! It's tooolly uunacceptabl. Ridiculous

sinto

ahson wrote:

sadzior90 wrote:

Right mine isss  1.80 versiion here. The keyboood lag issue hs been buggng meeemore often   and much worse now as youucan see frrom my  typing! It's tooolly uunacceptabl. Ridiculous

Wow, really sorry for you ahson. Looks like Gollum typed the message. Kinda freaks me out that the problem could get worse unless something is done by the sleeping beauty which is also the manufacturer of these you know what electonic disasters.
dave666

ive had this laptop (L670) since august, and the keyboard problems started just a few days after i brought it :smileysad: im really frustrated with not being able to trust anything i type, but there is some way i found to make the computer at least half usable until toshiba find a fix. seems for me the problem gets really bad when the battery is fully charged up, so im not leaving the laptop connected to the power for long periods of time. as soon as the keybaord starts to play up, i just go and switch the power off, things normally get better after a few minutes. its not perfect, but it can save some sanity.

Occasional Contributor
Mak0rz

I just want to weigh in on what I have been experiencing with this problem. I first encountered it when I bought the computer (A Satellite L675) in August. Several tech support call and two BIOS updates later failed to resolve the issue. I was then directed to take the laptop to a certified Toshiba service station.

They replicated the issue immediately, replaced the keyboard, declared it fixed, then sent it back to me. Immediately the computer started doing it again. I brought the computer down there a second time, but then the laptop decided to behave itself and they couldn't replicate the issue. It spent quite a long time in that office; four months owning the machine and I've hardly ever used it.

Like the others, this problem is, at best, random, and the severity of its behavior also varies greatly. Right now it is unusable (posting using my desktop instead), whereas just last week it was working fine. All of the "fixes" are the same in terms of their effectiveness, just like everyone else in the thread had said.

Also, much like some others have mentioned, it is not a Windows/software problem, and as such a patch or driver update will not fix it. It happens while changing settings in CMOS and using other operating systems as well (I used an Ubuntu Live CD to test it out, it was as plain as day). This is obviously a straight-up hardware or BIOS problem.

I'm happy that we got notification from Jim that they are aware of the problem and are researching it, but it would be nice to hear about the status of their efforts from time to time as well. It should be Toshiba's responsibility to inform their customers that something is wrong and they are trying to fix it. I'll be sure to send Jim a PM now. I'm willing to bet that he (as well as the rest of the crew researching the issue) is quite frustrated with the fact that there is no sure-fire way to replicate it. It comes and goes as it pleases.

Anyone else have any more insights? These guys need all the information they can get.

Occasional Contributor
mangopurple

ps love the automatic removal of my white space grrrrrr

maestroo1986

i have the same problem...

just bought new toshiba satelite c660-127... its old 4 days

i reinstaled OS but problem is still here..

i searched a lot of forums but i didnt find a solution.. :smileysad:

help  please

kkdaniels

OMG!!!  I've been reading these posts before I post my own, and I'm ready to get sick!!!  I bought my Satellite A665 yesterday and have spent all day getting it up and running and reinstalling my programs and software, etc.  I'm really ticked, and it would be BAD enough if were using it for surfing or gaming, but I use this computer for work, as I work at home editing transcripts and trials for a living.  Can you imagine my fear now?????  I can't type five words without these letters flying all over the place.  They're missing and the'll magically appear in places I haven't put them.  I've NEVER witnessed anything like this before, ever!  Plus, I just spent an extra $150 on downloading the 32-bit Windows 7 OS vs the 64-bit, as my CAT software runs on a 32, and there were some glitches, etc.  So I guess that'll be money wasted.  And Toshiba is sitting on their thumbs about this???  Don't they know that people invest in other things to be added to our computers and when something like this is going on, we're pretty much screwed?  Somebody had better do something quick.  I will take this thing back so fast and never look Toshiba's way again.  And I love the computer so far except for this issue.  I've already wasted a week without work due to my computer crashing, then taking three to four days before deciding on this lovely model.  YIKES!!!

I will say that the only solution, temporarily, that I've found is to turn off the touch pad and type.  It's a pain because we still need to point when we're on pages, then you have to click it on and off.  But when it's off, I don't make a mistake at all.  So is it the battery, the keyboard, or is it the touchpad or mouse???  Ponder that awhile and let me know your thoughts.  Good luck to us all.  I'm more than devestated!!!  I just spent over $1,000 with the warranty, extra download, etc., and this is what I get.  Toshiba, you should be so ashamed!!!  We need help!!!

KK

Occasional Contributor
Mak0rz

[ Edited ]

Disabling the touchpad, kkdaniels? I wish it were that easy for me. None of the posted "solutions" in this thread work at all for me.

A sincere request: I would really like to know if there is any number or email address to contact with our concerns. Not for tech support, but rather for express our disappointment and to ask about the progress of this issue.

I sure hope it isn't too late to return my computer (purchased at Staples in August). This is a fantastic device otherwise, but the keyboard problem makes it literally unusable and I have lost patience waiting for at least a status update on this issue. I'm a grad student and purchased this especially for my studies, but working on it is impossible.

I (and I'm sure the others posting here as well) realize that these kinds of faults happen quite often among products; Microsoft had fatal issues with their first generation Xbox 360s, Toyota had the Prius recall last year, Lenovo had battery troubles with their laptops a while back, and so on. However, what's frustrating me (and no doubt most other people) is the fact that Toshiba seems to be keeping quiet about this.

Customers do not appreciate being left in the dark.

EDIT: 

I just want to say that I, once again, experienced my laptop spontaneously "fixing itself." I can type now. This edit has taken far less than the usual 10-minutes or so to write due to constant error correction.

What was I doing? Nothing out of the ordinary, and there were no unusual programs running in the background. As I said, the problem comes and goes. It will be back, but for now I'm enjoying this free ride.

Ronagon

Downloading and installing the new BIOS fixed the problem IMMEDIATELY.

The catch to correctly updating the BIOS is:

1) The AC power has to be connected,

2) ALL background running programs must be turned off (exited), AND

3) the power settings must be at maximum (or "High Performance").

Then all you do is just run the downloaded BIOS fix.  It's just that easy. 

Now I have no more keyboard problems.  It's smooth again -- like BUTTAH.

Occasional Contributor
Mak0rz

Ronagon wrote:

Downloading and installing the new BIOS fixed the problem IMMEDIATELY.

The catch to correctly updating the BIOS is:

1) The AC power has to be connected,

2) ALL background running programs must be turned off (exited), AND

3) the power settings must be at maximum (or "High Performance").

Then all you do is just run the downloaded BIOS fix.  It's just that easy. 

Now I have no more keyboard problems.  It's smooth again -- like BUTTAH.

Oh you'll be back, Ronagon. Mark our words, you'll be back :smileyhappy:

(read the thread: BIOS v1.80 update has been confirmed to be innefiective)

Occasional Contributor
rvstrien

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Does any one of you know what's the best way te re-produce the problem?

When is it most likely to occur? I wan't to be able to demonstrate it when returning to the store on monday. Only pity is that it does not always occur :smileysad:

Regards,

Remco.

PS By the way, the 1.80 BIOS does not resolve anything (problem comes back after 3 days).

Occasional Contributor
Mihasi

[ Edited ]

Alright, it's been a while but I'm back with a dissapointing update about the issue. I got my original L670 back from repair, and had a hard time deciding whether I should try to sell it a decent laptop or just hope that the problem wouldn't come back. Eventually, I decided on the latter, because the motherboard of the laptop had been replaced and that was supposedly the only permanent solution to this issue. Apart from that, I didn't want to take the risk of losing a lot of money if I couldn't find a buyer. And after all, what are the odds that I would have the issue with three laptops in a row?

Turns out the odds are pretty big. If the motherboard has really been replaced, as Toshiba claims, even that is not a permanent solution to the problem. My "repaired" laptop started acting up again after three days. The main problem I have with this isn't returning the laptop anymore, it's just that I'm so sorry for all the time I've lost looking for solutions, reformatting and reinstalling this laptop. Back to the USB keyboard...

Let it be a warning to all of you: do NOT waste time trying to solve the issue, there is no solution. The fact that there is no way to reproduce the issue can work in your advantage here. Return it to the shop and when it gets back from "repair", just take it back the next day and claim it's broken again (which is true). Keep doing this until they get sick of it and offer you another solution.

Occasional Contributor
mangopurple

[ Edited ]

please offer us a free upgrade.

allow us to choose from a couple of options.

send a reply paid bag.

retain customers.

Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

that would be something! ...

TJ64

I also have a L675 s7018 and have the same issue with the keys and the mouse pad.  Keyboard did work well for a while but thought errors were on my part since the keys are different.  I have most trouble with keys duplicating and or not typing.  Most common is with Shift Key and I noticed more problems when I was making a directory listing and found almost impossible.

I recently seen that the new BIOS is 1.80 as of 12/10/2010.  Has anyone confirmed if this latest entry has corrected issue besides a temporary fix such as the battery removal?

Occasional Contributor
mangopurple

1.8 has not had any effect for me (l670)

Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

L670-11M here, also no effect whatsoever

Occasional Contributor
mangopurple

spoke with my service centre today, who I know pretty well after having sold toshies to small/ medium business for quite a few years now, and they reckon they have informed toshiba through their channels that this issue is not being fixed by bios updates or motherboard replacements.   we need more service centres to make this call.

as i had him on the phone he was finishing a motherboard replacement on another 670 in efforts to resolve the same issue. 

fyi he mentioned that apparently the euro forums are teeming with hits on this issue.........................................................................................................

dot dot dot

lrodgers

[ Edited ]

Here's what I bet it is:

When you download a BIOS update, there are actually two components, the BIOS, and the EC (embedded controller). It just so happens that the EC controls the keyboard, along with the battery. For whatever reason, the EC's code contains a bug in the section that scans the keyboard for keypresses. The EC is only reset when the battery is removed and the AC adapter is disconnected, and the power button is presed, hence why this is the temporary fix. (This is because the EC has to always run, in order to handle a power-on.)

So yes, a BIOS update should fix this. The real question is if Toshiba cares enough to do anything about it... and what's sad is that a CS undergrad could figure this out, but apparently not Toshiba...