Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Re: L675 Keyboard misses letters when typing or is generally slow

All,

Technical staff is researching this issue and has requested that I collect some information.  If you're experiencing the subject symptom of this thread please send me a Private Message with the following information:

• Contact name
  • Contact email
  • Part Number (from bottom sticker)
  • Serial number (from bottom sticker)
  • BIOS version (available by running the 'hwsetup' utility)
  • Instructions on how to reproduce, if known

Click here to send me a Private Message.

Thanks,

Jim

Candle

Hi

I am so relieved to have found this thread as I too was ready to throw my computer out of the window. Mine does exzctly the same as reported and having to type slowly and redo everything is SO frustrating. I also have a jumpy cursor and the scroll on the touchpad is erratic. Have tried altering the touchpad sensitivity settings but it doesn't improve it. Have done several rollbacks using system restore following windows updates as I too had suspected they might be to blame, but nothing sems to help.

The only difference is my computer is a Satellite L555 - 11K.Please, please Toshiba sort it out or Santa may have to be asked for a different brand of computer as like many others I depend on my laptop to work and cannot afford to have it sent away - yes mine is stil under warranty too!

Candle

Shanks

This keyboard issue is really driving me crazy. It's so hard to do homework and type essays on my laptop. For me, some days the keyboard is fine and some days it really lags and skips letters. 

Sybren

Just wanted to poin out here that my internl keyboardisnt working, llike that of manyy oter dssatisfied Toshiba customers. The first time this problem occured I was advised to reboot my computer. his solution worked, until today. Just nw found out that manyy others hav the same problem like me, thu I would kindly ask Toshiba to come up with a working solution and tell me what I should do. Weird thing is that i could only find solutions proposed by customers, not by Toshiba itself, while it seems logical to m that it is their responsibility to fix problems regarding a whole(and even multiple) production lines of aptops, and to not sell laptops tha have ben known for hving these kind of sues.

I propose some sort of Facebook Action if nthing is done within a reasonabl amount f tme, for instance calling back all laptops possibly affected to replace the faulty parts, like Toyota did:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/22/business/global/22toyota.html

Together we can do something.

As you might noticed, i wrote this piece using the faulthy keyboard to st an example.

Occasional Contributor
Mihasi

Sybren wrote:

Just wanted to poin out here that my internl keyboardisnt working, llike that of manyy oter dssatisfied Toshiba customers. The first time this problem occured I was advised to reboot my computer. his solution worked, until today. Just nw found out that manyy others hav the same problem like me, thu I would kindly ask Toshiba to come up with a working solution and tell me what I should do. Weird thing is that i could only find solutions proposed by customers, not by Toshiba itself, while it seems logical to m that it is their responsibility to fix problems regarding a whole(and even multiple) production lines of aptops, and to not sell laptops tha have ben known for hving these kind of sues.

Have you bothered to read the other replies to this thread? Just a couple of replies above yours there is a message from a Toshiba staff member stating that they are working on solving the issue. You could try messaging him with your info, because "Together we can do something.".

I am by no means a Toshiba fan boy and I've had troubles with both this laptop and my previous one, also a Toshiba, but I am actually pleasantly surprised with their customer service (apart from the fact that there seems to be no support email). I am pretty sure this issue will be solved with a BIOS update, we just have to have some patience.

As for using the laptop for school work: I am studying a computer-orientated course (electronics-ICT) and I'm a freelance programmer on the side, so I need my laptop for both my education and my work. An external USB-keyboard costs about €15, if you can afford a laptop you can probably afford that as well (at least until a fix comes around).

Sybren

[ Edited ]

Have you seen how many posts there are saying the keyboard/touchpad is not working properly, dating back a couple of months already? To me, it seems appropriate for toshiba to make a HUGE post on their main website saying there are some major technical issues which are going to be resolved asap, and I would suggest that it is updated regularly. It just seems wrong to me they keep selling laptops that have reported flaws.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
Mihasi

My mistake. I've just bought the laptop a couple of weeks ago and have read all the threads, but I didn't check the dates. It seems like this has been dragging on for far too long, but I am glad they're they're trying to fix it now nonetheless. I agree that it is wrong that they keep selling them though. My apologies for the agressive nature of my last post, I was a bit aggrevated yesterday about an entirely unrelated matter and worked it out here.

Shanks

I'm not really the type that knows how long this type of thing takes to fix but a week has already passed. How long approx. will it take for toshiba to come up with solution?

Occasional Contributor
Digger

Well, I thought I would throw this in for general info. I bought an L675 at Fry's and had it for about 10 days. I had this same problem and tried the power/battery fix. It lasted a couple of days and then started again. So, I took it back to Fry's in the alotted 15 days return policy. They took it back no problems but I still needed a laptop so I went back to the laptop department and looked at what my options were. The only 17" stuff was Toshiba so I bought another L675 but this time I got the AMD processor and the Blue Ray DVD player. I have now had it for a week and successfully loaded everything into it and have had absolutely no keyboard problems. There is hope out there.

Ray

Occasional Contributor
Mihasi

Shanks wrote:

I'm not really the type that knows how long this type of thing takes to fix but a week has already passed. How long approx. will it take for toshiba to come up with solution?

In my experience, it could easily take a month to solve this issue, primarily because it's so difficult to reproduce. I just hope they are really working on it, an update would be welcome.

Also for general information: my laptop has worked correclty for about two weeks now. The last time I had the problem, I just kept working on it (couldn't plug in an external keyboard at that time), and after a while it just went away. The only thing I've done differently this time is NOT take the battery out when the problem occured. The most annoying part about this is that it's so random.

CLCSteve

I have an A660 Sattelite PC that has a similar problem.  I never thought of myself as a fast typist and figured that a keyboard setting was the issue.  Hopefully Toshiba is addressing the problem but my Windows 7 PC has the same issue.

Occasional Contributor
ahson

[ Edited ]

Jim, I sent you a PM regarding the keyboard issue research/survey. This keyboard issue is extremely annoying and made my laptop completely un-useable when it happens. I am 100% that the keyboard lag has nothing to do with the battery nor the AC power.

Toshiba needs to face it and find a fix ASAP. They can't just ignore us and leave us in a situation like this.

MOD: Can you create a new post regarding the survey questionnaire and sticky it? That way people could find it easier and will have more people to chip in.

Occasional Contributor
ahson

[ Edited ]

Mihasi wrote:

Sybren wrote:

Have you bothered to read the other replies to this thread? Just a couple of replies above yours there is a message from a Toshiba staff member stating that they are working on solving the issue. You could try messaging him with your info, because "Together we can do something.".

I am by no means a Toshiba fan boy and I've had troubles with both this laptop and my previous one, also a Toshiba, but I am actually pleasantly surprised with their customer service (apart from the fact that there seems to be no support email). I am pretty sure this issue will be solved with a BIOS update, we just have to have some patience.

As for using the laptop for school work: I am studying a computer-orientated course (electronics-ICT) and I'm a freelance programmer on the side, so I need my laptop for both my education and my work. An external USB-keyboard costs about €15, if you can afford a laptop you can probably afford that as well (at least until a fix comes around).

A USB keyboard is cheap, but if I spent that much on a Toshiba laptop I would expect this simple piece of hardware (laptop keyboard) should work flawlessly.

I have this Toshiba laptop for almost 4 months now but seems like Toshiba STILL can't figure it out how to fix this keyboard issue. This issue is happening on a lot of different Toshiba laptop models, according to many other posters who shared their same experience.

BrendanF

[ Edited ]

I've had my L675 for a few months now and finally had enough of this keyboard problem.

I am a long time Toshiba owner and by far this is the WORST problem I have ever had. Even my old Satellite which kept overheating because the heat-sink kept getting clog wasn't a problem, I could dismantle it and clean it myself in 10 mins, but this keyboard thing is a major pain.

My 2 cents is that this is a HARDWARE problem, not a software issue. I'll explain why, I got so pissed off at this tonight that I literally smashed my fist down on the keyboard as hard as I could, dented the keyboard inward in the process, but guess what.. I types perfectly fine now. It doesn't miss a single letter. If so many manufactures are having this issue and it is spread across so many models it can't be software, it is probably the manufacture of the keyboards using some cheap parts.

dlcomm

I too have this issue.   I flashed the BIOS to version 1.50 and the problem seemed to go away for a couple of weeks only to come back.

Now  before anyone goes on about malware or diagnostics,  I upgraded to Linux and ran complete diagnostics on this machine and it found nothing.   After having my hard drive fail in the first 2 weeks and going with out a laptop for over a month while it was being repaired, I am afraid to send it in again as I feel I would be lucky to get it back before the warrenty ran out.

If returning your latop for a full refund is not an option (as  in my case), follow these steps to resolve the issue...

1)  Place laptop face up on table with lid open.

2) Get large hammer or blunt object.

3) Smash keyboard into fine pulp.

4) Return to place of purchase and buy an HP!

Hope this helps!

Shanks

I really don't find this as a joking issue.

kannoe

I Regret totally my choice though 

I shouuld hav buy a Asus or Dell but well.... 

how can i flash my bios ? i have a L675 too. 

Occasional Contributor
ahson

[ Edited ]

kannoe wrote:

I Regret totally my choice though 

I shouuld hav buy a Asus or Dell but well.... 

how can i flash my bios ? i have a L675 too. 

FYI, flashing the BIOS won't fix the keyboard issue.

Occasional Contributor
Mihasi

Okay, two weeks ago I was still optimistic about this, but since there has been no response from Toshiba since then I guess they are indeed just taking names and serial numbers to make it look like they're solving the issue. Everyone kept telling me Toshiba was a good brand, so I thought the problems I've had with my previous Toshiba (had to return it twice) were isolated cases. Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case. I joined the FB group, I don't think it will help us much but we can at least warn others. I will certainly not buy a Toshiba laptop or recommend it to customers any more.

Still hoping for some kind of solution though. I'll probably return the defective laptop to the store again this weekend, since I've got a back up laptop now.

dlcomm

Here is the app to flash your BIOS!   

http://support.toshiba.ca/support/Download/files_downloads/psk3ac/PSK3A_PSK3B_PSK3E_PSK3F_150-WIN.ex...

It alone will not fix your problem.... you MUST also drain your battery completely until your machine can no longer boot up.... then allow it to fully charge to 100% (without using it). It worked for me, however if my battery gets down to around 12% the problem comes right back until fully charged again.

Also, I installed Fedora 14 rather then windows since clearly there are other issues with this machine and Windows....  

You can download and make a live CD at http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Live/i686/Fedora-14-i686-Live-Desktop...

I suggest this if you still have issues for the power monitoring features....  The wireless card is not supported yet so in order to use fedora as a desktop you have to know what you are doing, however for wired configurations it works fine and again its the power monitor feature you are looking for here.   It will show a graph of your charge cycle, etc and let you know more accurately when your batter is fully charged.

Windows 7 is total crap and reports a full charge at 95% and in my case would not allow my laptop to fully charge.

Hope this helps everyone.... it goes against my better judgement as this is solving toshiba's issue however I cant see  others suffer as I have and not do something to try and help