cytosisx
Accepted Solution

L675 Keyboard misses letters when typing or is generally slow

Item: SateIlite L675-S7018

Problem: Keyboard skips letters

just purchased this laptop last week and it works wonderfully aside from this glaring keyboard issue. I type rather fast, but this keyboard does not seem to want to keep up and it tends to drop letters causing me to have to backtrack and correct every single word. Even typing slowly the keyboard will still miss letters.

Changing the onboard keyboard letter repeat settings does not fix this issue.

This issue was fixed in another thread by flashing the bios for another model laptop. Another fixed it by removing the battery. I tried removing the battery but that did not fix it either.

Is there a fix for this issue? HELP!

Thanks in advance!

Nephitys

Re: L675 Keyboard misses letters when typing or is generally slow

I have the same problem. Bought laptop week ago and when I type, some letters doesn't respond at all... It's not just specifc letters it's totaly random. I tried reinstalling drivers, turning off my antivirus (mcafee wich I got with my laptop). When I plugged in external (usb) keyboard, it was working normaly (usb one), the on screen keyboard (one in windows) is also working fine.

All in all, looks like it's hardware problem I guess... The model is: Toshiba Satellite L670 - 15Q

Thanks in advance

Nephitys

Sorry for double post but to answer those who have same problem as I had... Removing battery fixed the problem, it's connected now to electricity without battery and keyboard is working fine, I even noticed laptop is working much better (less heating, faster...)

I hope this helped =)

cytosisx

Here is the newest information on this issue with my L675:

The skipping letters problem even occurs in safe mode, and I discovered it does not affect usb keyboards plugged into the laptop.

This leads me to believe that it is NOT a software problem and that the keyboard hardware itself is being goofy.

Any ideas what I could do to fix it? Warranty? Repair? I don't know enough magic to use that to fix it or it would have been done already. Ah well. I guess it could have been a lot worse. At least the computer itself is pretty rockin.

cytosisx

I went to the toshiba support page to find a number for their repair depot. All of a sudden the typing fixed itself and wasn't missing letters.

This was earlier in the week. It worked GREAT, and is exactly what I was looking for in a laptop, but here I am, Friday night and it is acting up again. Missing letters when I type...

The problem seems to be every 2-3 seconds. Holding down a key, i can see visible stops where the keys should just be repeating.

Any information yet? Toshiba? Anyone? Hello? Is this thing on?

SirBoredALot

I'm getting the same general problem with my P505D-S8000 Satellite.

Te keyboard is HIGHLY unresponsive; often missing letters if I type at an average speed and taking at least 2 seconds to display the text I type onscreen. Occasionally it also "auto-caps" the keys, making all my text look like caps lock is on (when it's not).

I do everything on my computer; games, photoshop, e-communities, you name it. Each activity I do REQUIRES that the keyboard works naturally. I can't do a thing now.

I want to go out tomorrow and get a wireless Keyboard to at least use until this problem is solved, bbut now I se that for some people the problem affects that as well. I'm worried I'd waste my money.

By the way, it'd be nice if Toshiba would actualy respond to this to at least let us know you guys noticed. You'd think that THE Tech support wouldcheck this forum at least once a day.

I'm going to be honest and say the only computer I truly trust is HP; never had problem with one. But this Toshiba was exactly what I wanted. If this problem isn't fixable or isn't at least attemptedto be fixed soon, you can be quite sure I'll be letting people know why I switched back to HP.

As the saying goes, "For every one lost customer there is a hundred more."

Regular Contributor
LumberGumRubber

[ Edited ]

I've got the L675-00X model and I'm having the same joys. First I thought I had brain damage but now I feel I'm normal again!!! It's not me but the laptop. Someone mentioned about removing the battery but didn't mention if they put it back in again. It appears from that post the battery was left out.

Obviously, that there's a hardware problem is left without a doubt and we can't really blame HP with this one!!!

Hopefully Toshiba is going to respond and give us all a hand or provide a huge bottle of Aspirin. 

ksweeney

I have the same issues, however removing the battery did not help at all. Anyone found a fix yet? It's driving me nuts trying to type on this thing!!

Regular Contributor
LumberGumRubber

[ Edited ]

Here's what this fellow did - I also removed the battery from the laptop for two minutes and three seconds. Inserting it back in - yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!! The problem disappeared.

But fearing the laptop might repeat the problem again and burst into a ball of flame, I called Toshiba. Here's what he told me to do ...

1) shut down the machine and unplug from power source

2) remove the battery 

3) hold down the powerbutton for thirteen seconds (why not fourteen seconds I'm not sure)

4) leaving the battery out, plug in the machine and power up into Safe Mode

5) open the notepad, excuse me, I mean the Wordpad

6) try typing, or holding down any letter and see if the problem was there - to my great delight, it wasn't

7) reboot the machine 

8) go to msconfig (I think it was pcm or something to that sort) in the Startup but nothing like that was there, so he told me to uncheck Google & Bing (again not sure why)

9) after a farewell greeting, we disconnected from our phone call

At this point, everything seems to be ok - I might blush a bit later and tell all the problem is back, but as of now, it isn't.

As stated earlier, when I removed the battery for a couple minutes, and put it back in of course, the problem disappeared.

It shall be quite interesting to see the responses to this - my question would be - why uncheck Google & Bing and is it really necessary. 

With this great accomplishment, let's all have one moment of silence please! Thank you!

Fomin

Hi all,

Unfortunately LumberGumRubber what you did will not solve your problem. It might disappear for a while, but it will definitely reappear. Just to inform everybody on this forum that there seems to be a hardware problem that affects a lot of laptops, I suggest you go see these other threads in toshiba.europe forum where I explain what I did and where we are so far :

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=54917&tstart=0

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=55560&tstart=0

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=51922&tstart=30

I noticed that there are others in this forum that have noticed the problem.

Until now I have tried a lot of things to solve the problem. My conclusions so far are

1) This is a hardware related problem (there are various ways to test yourself)

2) It affects the keyboard and the touchpad (although most people don't notice it on the touchpad)

3) It is affected by the battery.

PS : The "algorithm" of "fixing" the problem proposed in the post of LumberGumRubber has been known to me for some time (although as you will notice it doesn't resolve the problem permanently and most importantly does not work every time). The man from toshiba that talked to LumberGumRubber described a routine that is almost "voodoo". First of all, the problem can be resolved easily (although randomly) just by shutting off and removing the battery. Everything else is just nonsense. The problem appears even in BIOS screen, or in dos mode (using any startup CD -eg Hirens Boot CD). Also, another advice, an easy way to see if the problem is present at the moment is just move your pointer in circular motion (or any other kind) and just watch if the pointer pauses for a moment every half a second (exactly when the keyboard pauses also).

Regular Contributor
LumberGumRubber

Thanks for the "unfortunate" reply. Why did I figure this this coming? Could my fearful anticipation have been because I was advised to uncheck the "Google" and "Bing" in msconfig???

I notice you mention "affected by the battery" - do you believe it is definitely a battery related problem?

I notice in another forum, the following ........

----------

A bad battery may cause many power-management interrupts. It disturbs Microsoft's power API. It's very weird because my Toshiba is brand new. Anyway it's under warranty and I am going to change the battery. I will tell you if it fixes the problem.

EDIT : The first solution fixed my problem definitely. Actually I just changed a value in the registry : PollStatusIterations. see this reference for details. Setting this value to 1hex minimizes the effect of power-management interrupts.

What do others think of the above statements?

Fomin

Hi LumberGumRubber,

"A bad battery may cause many power-management interrupts. It disturbs Microsoft's power API. It's very weird because my Toshiba is brand new. Anyway it's under warranty and I am going to change the battery. I will tell you if it fixes the problem."

Just to clarify something. There can be no software or registry solution to a problem that can appear even when not running windows or even when in BIOS screen (although I have tried every possible solution -e.g. playing with some registry settings-). There may be an BIOS update, but I don't think so.

"EDIT : The first solution fixed my problem definitely. Actually I just changed a value in the registry : PollStatusIterations. see this reference for details. Setting this value to 1hex minimizes the effect of power-management interrupts."

This will not solve the problem or minimize the effects.

Christophe07

I've got exactly the same problem on my L670 ...

How to do ? I've worked hard for paying my laptop, did Toshiba heard us ?

Regular Contributor
LumberGumRubber

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply Fomin. You mentioned the Bios update but indicated you (if I'm understanding you correctly) do not have much faith in that. Am I right in interpreting you right?

I will be interested indeed to see the outcome of your Battery replacement. Is this something that will take a bit or is it something that you will and can do very shortly?

I'm thinking that Toshiba is going to have to do something with this. I mean, they can hardly let this slip by, especially when many are reporting to have the very same trouble. 

Fomin

Yes I don't have faith in the fact that a BIOS update could resolve the problem. But I'm not sure. Also, I didn't say that I will replace my battery, since the problem appears even if no battery is attached. I sent an email to Toshiba explaining the problem as well as I could giving them reference also to these forums (just to make sure that this is not an individual case). They told me to send the computer for service (for the 2nd time in a few months). What I explain in the papers that sent with my computer is that one of the symptoms has to do with the battery. For example, sometimes when the problem appears, if I remove the battery -laptop still on power- the problem disappears, even if I don't restart the computer. Of course there are other times that the problem is not solved by ANY way I have described. I then usually turn of the computer, leave it for a day without the battery on and without connection to power, and then I turn it on (with or without the battery)...

Regular Contributor
LumberGumRubber

[ Edited ]

Good night - it appears I mixed you up with another thread on another forum where someone said they were going to change the Battery and then let us know what happens. 

It appears from your response and Toshiba's response to you, that we are in for a heyday with this!!! Well, at least till Toshiba roars in with a fix!

Up to now with my system, nothing has burst into a ball of flame or anything of the like, but I'm waiting for something exciting to happen though!!! 

(All who cannot see this posting, please advise immediately.Thanks) 

Occasional Contributor
ahson

[ Edited ]

My newly bought L675 had the exact same issue yesterday. When it happened, I thought my computer was slowed down by by some unknown applications. I remember I was replying an email and took me 5+ mins. just to finish it. It was frustrating, when I needed to retype almost every single word.

However the problem was gone by itself after .. half an hour maybe? and it hasn't come back since then. *Finger crossed*.

When it happened, my laptop has NO battery attached to it so I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the battery.

Occasional Contributor
ahson

I see there is a new BIOS Updat on the Toshiba Support page. Anyone tried it and fixed the issue? My keyboarda acts up very very often these days and just making it not useable at all..even right now when I am typing in here. Gosh!

jeff91121

I have the same problem.  I notice that the mouse pad is extremely sensitive also and there is no way to adjust the sensitivity. My keyboard will miss keystrokes and add an extra letter.  I have adjusted the repeat speed on the keyboard with no success.  This laptop is 2 weeks old.  I'm not going to be sending mine in for service I will be returning mine and will be going with a different brand.  My model is L675-S7018

aparng

I have the same L675-S7018 model and same problem. The keyboard sometimes is not responding and sometimes repeating chars and spaces. Very furstrating. The mouse pointer often freezes which switching to different windows. Mine is only a few weeks old. Not sure if I can get a replacement.