sinto

Re: L675 Keyboard misses letters when typing or is generally slow

Hi Jim,

First of all thanks for putting effort into this. As for the problem I have done as you have instructed and the problem disappeared right away. At that time the battery wasn't plugged of course. After a while I got brave and plugged the battery back in and voila, my friend misery decided to pay me another visit. Full of hope I repeated the sequence and so far it hasn't returned or made an attempt.

It is too early to say "Fiesta!" but by looking at my workload I can give you a more solid opinion in 3-4 days just to chip in for leading you guys in the right direction. I hope we have reached a point where this time the light at the end of the tunnel is not the freight train.

Regards,

Sinto

Occasional Contributor
mangopurple

this is looking positive.

thanks for the update jim.

what does fn, n, 1 actually do?  curious.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

mangopurple:  The key sequence disables a diagnostic mode which seems to be inadvertently getting enabled.  More info later.

To those of you who have had messages describing this in more detail removed, please bear with me and don't take it personally.  Apparently Toshiba support organizations in some regions already consider this to be the absolute root cause so are providing more details.  However, due to difficulty reproducing the problem and thus verifying the fix, Toshiba America has decided to consider this a potential workaround until we get significant feedback from people experiencing the problem.

Needless to say, at this point it's looking pretty good and I'll provide a few more details, including the long term resolution, as soon as I've got clearance to do so.  Meanwhile, I'll have to continue removing messages that reference those details (which don't provide any practical benefit at the moment anyway) so... 

All, please refrain from sharing any details you may know beyond what I've posted today so we can all have a pleasant weekend and not fragment the thread by putting me in the position of needing to delete misc. messages here and there.

Much thanks, and all we be revealed soon!  ;-)

Jim

Cordell77

Hi rvstrien!

The BIOS 2.0 readme.txt does not mention anything about a keyboard problem.  Here's what BIOS 2.0 claims to fix:

Version 2.00  2011-01-18
- Added SLP2.1 support for models shipped without an operating system.

- Modified the 3-Cell battery protection function.

However... with BIOS 2.0 installed in this L675-S7108, the laptop is a new machine (which really surprised me).  I realize that this is somewhat subjective (and there's no easy way to quantify the improvement), but not only is the typing lightning fast and responsive, but the entire laptop is now fast and responsive.  Out of the box with BIOS 1.90 installed, this L675 was kinda sluggish...  it performed more like a netbook with a low power Intel Atom chip in it (and typing was all but impossible).  But now, with BIOS 2.0 ... it's flat out Fast.

Maybe BIOS 2.0 addresses the issues involving the key sequence that Jim just posted?

I also looked up a random L670 model (I chose the L670-BT2N23), and yes!  BIOS 2.0 is available for that laptop as well.

---Steve

Occasional Contributor
mangopurple

[ Edited ]

well the bios 2.0 upgrade on my L670 through the Toshiba Service Station application has bricked my laptop.

it's 1230am Monday morning and this has ruined my week.

toshiba i have no time left for you now.

what a sad end to this story.

i took this screen shot shortly after the application stopped responding during bios flash and i had suspicions this would happen.  Sigh, only .txt file attachments are allowed. 

this is the rudest insult yet from toshiba

Occasional Contributor
franmorr1966

Hi everyone.

I'm typing with whatever keyboard errors present themselves.  I tried some of the suggested fixes tha were presented on this forum from pullig the battery t downloading some update. Amazingly enoug my keyboard problems semed to e fixed!  But I had to see what would happen if I reinstalled te battery and withn a day the keyboard isues began agin! I can't believve it. I plled the battery again butt the problem hasn't gone away.  I supose I shoul do te download thing again whatever it was--I hae to go back to the forum to r-find it.

Just waned to share my experience. I know they're similar towhat has been reported.

Thanks,

Fran*  I had to add the a

Administrator
jim

There is no download addressing this keyboard issue.  The best workaround is described here

The reported effectiveness of the workaround makes me hopeful for a more permanent solution arriving relatively soon, and I'll post an update here when that happens, but none is available at this time.  

Jim

Occasional Contributor
franmorr1966

Right, there wasn't a download. (I actually had downloaded an update on an unrelated matter to this one).

So while the battery was still out, as suggested by a poster here (according to the Toshiba tech directions), I shut down the laptop, unplugged it for about 10 minutes while I did something else.  Plugged it back in (battery still out), and I'm typing completely freely with no missed or duplicate keys.  What the hell? 

Occasional Contributor
mangopurple

franmorr1966 wrote:

Right, there wasn't a download. (I actually had downloaded an update on an unrelated matter to this one).

So while the battery was still out, as suggested by a poster here (according to the Toshiba tech directions), I shut down the laptop, unplugged it for about 10 minutes while I did something else.  Plugged it back in (battery still out), and I'm typing completely freely with no missed or duplicate keys.  What the hell? 

you may have a certificate of participation, but it's clearly been stated that what you have tried is not really a fix. everyone already knows this.  we have moved on since then. i suggest you read the entire thread.

BrendanF

@Jim

Hey Jim I did the fn n 1 thing and I am not sure if it has corrected my problem but one thing it does seem to do and i dont know if it is supposed to is make the text smaller on the screen.. Kind of like a zoom out feature or something.

One thing I will add is that this message typed perfectly for me without a single error (other then my own mistyping)

Thanks for the updating us.

sloncto

This is to Jim - Administrator

Does the 2.0 BIOS I got notification of today resolve the keyboard issue or will there be an additional BIOS release shortly that will resolve the keyboard issue?

Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

you need'nt type fn+n+1, what you want to do is press fn, release. press n, release. press 1, release. voila

Administrator
jim

sloncto,

The BIOS update you reference is unrelated to the keyboard issue being discussed in this thread.  How and when the permanent resolution will be delivered has not yet been announced so I don't want to speculate, but the apparent success of the key sequence workaround is a very good sign.

Jim

Administrator
jim

BrendanF,

I suspect you had a software interaction with a key entry similar to but different from the sequence for the workaround, resulting in that zooming effect.  For the workaround, be sure to press and release each key in the sequence before pressing and releasing the next key.

Jim

sinto

Almost 3 days and more than 10.000 words and still no sign of the keyboard demon. Impressive, most impressive. :smileyhappy:

justinfm

I hadn't done the "reboot/battery out" work around in a while, and my keyboard was getting really bad. I did the three key sequence and it returned to working properly. I won't be concerned if I need to do this every 3 or so days, as I suspect may happen. Completely shutting down and taking the battery out is a pain but pushing 3 buttons is very minor. 

To Jim the Admin:

As a former tech support person, I hope that you are sharing this with your phone support staff. When I called about this issue a few weeks ago, they wanted me to reformat, and if that didn't work send it in. I may have done it, if I had any hope they'd be able to solve an intermittent issue like this.  

sinto

An update on the situation here. The keyboard started stuttering again but as soon as the key combination stepped in, it crawled back to whence it came.

Alicante

Hello

Any update from Jim? Myu understanding was that we would have more news after last week-end, did I misunderstand?

I did try the fn, n, 1 sequence but to no avail. I have had this laptop (Satellite c660/660D only for 10 days and this is driving me mad already. I cannot even send it back because it is a present as a replacement for my DELL which was playing up. Please someone help!!

(I did send a private message to Jim)

Alicante

Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

so the new 2.0 bios is available, but im  a bit afraid to install it on my l670. can someone confirm that the fn+n+1 combination works on the bios 2.0? i dont want the problem to come back and not be able to type in that magic combo

Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

please...