sloncto

Re: L675 Keyboard misses letters when typing or is generally slow

Posted before I wanted it too....

I ask about the Microsoft updates because my customer's L675 didn't start having the keyboard issue until right after a Microsoft update arount the end of November.

I am very frustrated with Toshiba regarding this issue. I recommended and sold my customer an L675 because I have an older Toshiba that has been great for me. What a mistake. I now have a customer with a new laptop that is malfunctioning and Toshiba doesn't have a solution. Toshiba should be doing something to satisfy their customers and they are not. Period. I feel badly for my customer. Too bad Toshiba doesn't feel the same about us.

Occasional Contributor
franmorr1966

Just want to add that I've followed along with the majority of the postings and I want to officially add myself to the list of sufferers of this ridiculous issue!  I messaged Jim with my computer info.  I hope something will be done.  I'm just a bit relieved to see I'm not suffering alone here.  And the sledgehammer idea was one I'd contemplated last night before reading the forum posts this morning.

Good luck to us all.

Fran

Occasional Contributor
mangopurple

sloncto wrote:

Posted before I wanted it too....

I ask about the Microsoft updates because my customer's L675 didn't start having the keyboard issue until right after a Microsoft update arount the end of November.

I am very frustrated with Toshiba regarding this issue. I recommended and sold my customer an L675 because I have an older Toshiba that has been great for me. What a mistake. I now have a customer with a new laptop that is malfunctioning and Toshiba doesn't have a solution. Toshiba should be doing something to satisfy their customers and they are not. Period. I feel badly for my customer. Too bad Toshiba doesn't feel the same about us.

there may be a windows update that makes it more prevalent, but i booted to a win98 boot disk and typing in the command prompt was still showing the issue.

also, other people have loaded various nix platforms and experienced it too

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Hi Ray,

While I can understand the desire to get as much information as possible through this forum, I can only commit to posting updates here as they become available to me. The most recent info I have is that the issue is still being researched and the root cause not yet determined. Individual regions may establish their own policies and procedures regarding how to address related customer service issues.

As the Forums Terms of Service explain, this is not an official support presence for Toshiba.  Likewise, as forums administrator I don't have access to details of global support incidents and it would be beyond the scope of the forums to address most of the points you've raised. This is why I encourage escalating individual issues regionally, as I suggested to you (along with contact info for the UK) in my reply to your Private Message back on December 14. 

Jim

Administrator
jim

Repost

Technical staff is researching this issue and has requested that I collect some information.  If you're experiencing the subject symptom of this thread please send me a Private Message with the following information:

• Contact name
  • Contact email
  • Part Number (from bottom sticker)
  • Serial number (from bottom sticker)
  • BIOS version (available by running the 'hwsetup' utility)
  • Instructions on how to reproduce, if known

Click here to send me a Private Message.

Thanks,

Jim

Administrator
jim

sloncto,

If your customer has not yet contacted Customer Service at 800-457-7777, please have them do so.  You may also want to review and respond to this post.

Jim

raybell1975

Hi Jim

I appreciate you responding but reminding us that Toshiba operates in unwieldy silos that are incapable of communicating with each other & demonstrating ownership does nothing to help a single person affected by this issue.

I have already been in contact with my reseller, eBuyer, and they are unaware of the specifics of this issue. They are unable/unwilling to do anything to progress my complaint until Toshiba acknowledge there is an issue with these devices. What can you send me to corroborate my story with eBuyer? I need something from Toshiba that evidences this as known issue. I would then suggest that you post this for the benefit of all customers affected and then we can individually approach whoever we bought our device from and progress a refund/replacement; on the basis that what has been sold to us is clearly "not fit for purpose" under the Sale of Goods act or whatever legislation applies in that country.

Furthermore, Ebuyers understanding from dealing with yet another Toshiba silo is that this problem may only be affecting a specific small batch of devices. I cannot rationalise that with the evidence laid out in this forum and your own comments that the problem is still being investigated - I therefore fail to see how such a conclusion can be reached. This is a very important point as one of the resolutions which may be offered to affected customers by their supplier is a replacement device. This is a pointless exercise if the problem may still exist in devices being shipped today. Can you request from your technical contacts a view on this specific issue of how widespread this problem is and whether a new replacement laptop from the same range is a sensible step or not.

Finally, you may well be correct that individual resolutions may only be achieved through escalation to regional support organisations or via whoever sold the faulty device. However in order for either route to be progressed effectively, we require something more concrete from Toshiba to support our escalation. Otherwise, every person will be forced to go through the same process of sending in their laptop, having no device for an unspecified period and with no guarantee of a successful (long term) fix - knowing all along that it is a waste of everyones time.

There are people who have been affected by this for up to a year and they deserve more than to be fobbed off with another delaying tactic. Please obtain some evidence for us that at least allows us to expediate the process we will inevitably be forced to follow regionally.

Regards

Ray

raybell1975

Sorry Jim

I should have highlighted that I contacted eBuyer because the UK service department that you referred me to, recommended that I contact the reseller. They had no clue about this issue or what to do about it. Hence my request for you get me some corraboration to take to the next stage - even it is another part of your organisation.

Hopefully, it also gives you some evidence supporting why I predicted the inevitable frustration of having to start somewhere else in Toshiba with this problem. 

Administrator
jim

Ray,

It would be inappropriate for me to enter into discussions about Toshiba policies and procedures, or to try to execute global customer service functions without the authority or resources to effectively do so. As forums admin, my intent is simply to clarify the limits of these forums and set a realistic expectation of they may effectively be used, which is as a resource for customers to share tips and troubleshooting expertise with each other. 

So you are correct in perceiving that the help delivered directly by Toshiba through these forums is quite limited, as defined in the Forums Terms of Use. Sometimes information is forwarded to technical staff and customer service in the US, as in the case of this topic, but customers outside the US are referred to their regional Toshiba locations to address issues according to local policies and procedures. Labeling such a referral as a "delaying tactic" is not a effective path toward resolution or escalation.

Jim

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Excellent post, Jim. We are all lucky to have someone of your caliber as Administrator of this Forum. Thank you for all your efforts.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
juju0010

Just adding to the comments here. Having the same keyboard issue with my L675-S0740. I'm on full AC power right now (no battery) and the problem is solved. I've had the exact same problems as everyone else. Problem goes away then with Windows updates it comes back.

Guys, please take it easy on Jim. As he stated, this forum is not a customer service department and his abilities are limited. We have every right to be royally mad at Toshiba, but the forum is not going to get it done.

I'd take his advice and contact Customer Relations....that's what I'm planning on doing. It seems to me that after reading 9 pages of this, that complaining on the forum isn't going to get you anywhere.

Cordell77

I purchased an L675-S7108 from OfficeMax earlier this week.  The only noteworthy hardware change in this model is the inclusion of the "Second Generation" Intel Core i3 chip.

I have had the same problems with the slow / intermittent / sluggish keyboard.

However, I just installed the BIOS 2.0 update that was posted on the Toshiba Support website on 1-19-2011.

It *seems* to have solved the problem -- my keyboard is now fast, responsive, and not dropping every 3rd character.

However, I will continue to test this (because this problem is VERY annoying to me, and I will return the L675 to OfficeMax if I have to).

I am curious to hear whether BIOS 2.0 helps any other L675 owners out there.

---Steve

meloncoly

got a satellte c660-11kfor Christmas and as y can ee I am lso experincing thisproblem. Hich is a massie problem being student who wnts to write essays. Is the bios pdate available fr all modes bcause f mine itis claimig there i nothing w avaiable.

I can't even write a egible setence. Thank you Toshiba!

Occasional Contributor
rvstrien

Hi Cordell, where did u find this new 2.0 BIOS version? Is it also available for the L670 model?

Does it say anything about a specific keyboard problem fix in the release notes?

Administrator
jim

There's a potential workaround that I'd like those who are experiencing this issue to try and report back on your results. 

1. Press then release the 'Fn' key
  2. Press then release the 'N' key
  3. Press then release the '1' key

Please let us know if that solves the problem for you.

Jim

meloncoly

Jim - this worked for me on my c660-11k.

Thank you so much - this has been so frustrating. I just hope it stays working ^^

Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

i hope i won't be disappointed immidatelly after this, but that key combo seems to work! That is too fantastic to be true! :smileysurprised:

Occasional Contributor
rvstrien

sadzor, it's a workaround. There already was another workaround which meant disconnecting the battery and net adaptor. You guys know that right? Problem was that it comes back after a couple of days. I thinks this workaround is in fact the same as removing the battery. Its just a little easier to carry out. But maybe I'm wrong, let's wait and see...

Occasional Contributor
sadzior90

you've got to be kidding me. Comparing the need to shut down the notebook and remove the battery to a simple three key combo is just riddiculous.

I really dont mind that, bro

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

It certainly would be a terrible imposition to have to punch three keys every week or so!!!:smileysad:

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit