OpheliaO

L55-A5284 touchpad not working

[ Edited ]

Good day. Upon booting up my new Sattelite L55-A5284, the touchpad wouldn't respond. The function activation buttons don't make a difference, and there is no entry for the touchpad in the Device Manager under "Mice and Other Controllers", even after refreshing the information, and after trying to scan for and add new hardware.

Should I try downloading the touchpad driver, or is there a hardware connection issue? Thanks!

Agent_K

Re: L55-A5284 touchpad not working

I had the same problem with 2 of them. The 2nd one worked for a short time after updating windows. Now it no longer shows up in Device Mananger, even after downloading the drivers.

Peter

Agent_K, do you have the same model?

Ophelia, I'm not sure what the problem is. Was it always like this, or was it working?

- Peter
Agent_K

Yes, same model.

OpheliaO

As I mentioned, this is a brand new computer. The touchpad never worked, and there is no listing for it in the Device Manager.

If I try to download/install the touchpad driver, will it make any difference? Thanks!

Peter

You could try it, but if it's brand new and never worked, your best option is probably to exchange it.

- Peter
CajunRican

Had the same issue.  I have owned Toshiba's since 2005 and never seen anything like this.  Right out of the box the display did not come up.  Did the unplug and press power button trick and finally got the display to work.  Then noticed that the mouse pad would not come on.  Took it back to the store and they order me a new one.  Last night went back to the store and the same issue.  Mouse pad will not work.  Plugged in a mouse to navigate through the set up process and then the machine got stuck on a black screen for over 30 minutes.  At this time, after 2 brand new machines that would not work, I told the manager that I wanted my money back.  It is a shame that Toshiba is putting these crappy machines out there.  Does anyone do QA on these machines?

OpheliaO

Yeah, I was surprised to find mine didn't have bluetooth either. So I bought a bluetooth adapter and am using a mouse and keyboard with the computer plugged into my TV.

Not having the touchpad means that I MUST have the mouse with me when I take the laptop out of the house, but that's easily managed. I didn't want to have to deal with the exchange process and transferring my files again.

I think that I'll be avoiding Toshibas whenever I get new computers or other devices. Thanks for mentioning your experiences with them!

Adhesion

Not sure if you were able to resolve your issue as it's been a while since anyone posted on this board, but I just ran into the same issue. Thankfully I was able to quickly find a resolution to this issue. Looking at the touchpad I noticed there was a light at the upper left corner of the mouse pad that was lit that I haven't seen as of yet, so it seemed a bit odd and kind of told me I had pressed a wrong button, upon further observation I noticed there was an odd symbol on the f5 key. So pressing that button I noticed the light on the mouse pad went out and returned my mouse pointer back to my desktop where it belonged. 

There again, if you haven't resolved your issued, give this little trick a try. 

Btw, the symbols on the f5 key has two icons on that button, one has two smaller squares under a larger one, the other looks similiar but also has the cicle with the line going across it down the center.

Give this a try if you still have that issue. Hope it works and good luck. :smileyvery-happy:

If you do decide to go to another computer company, do yourself a favor and stay away from Dell. Just a little word of advice from personal experiences.

mcremaschi

Re: L55-A5284 touched not working

I also have a brand new L55-NIRVANA bought in the US and the touch pad only worked upto the first steps of the setup process and then suddenly stopped working. I tried to uninstall and reinstall last version of drivers and nothing. Under the View menu of the  Device Manager I have to check "Show hidden devices" so that the Touch Pad driver appears under "Mice and other pointing devices". It reads "Synaptics SMBus Touchpad" with an alert sign over the icon. In Properties it reads "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)" in the Device Status comment area.

I also tried by making a system recovery and by using FN keys which by the way they no longer work too. I am starting to get bad tempered about this. It seems that Touchpad issues are generalized across the forums. I still cannot believe a brand like Toshiba is having such problems. 

Would you provide any alternative solution please?

Toshiba Satellite L55-A5284NR / Part No: PSKLAU -00H015

mcremaschi

Re: L55-A5284 touched not working

It should read  L55-A5284NR

skye47

I have a brand new laptop and it happens often.  Save these directions to fix it.   Toshiba should really fix this.   This is the last Toshiba I will buy.  It's my third Toshiba.

L55-A5284 touchpad

Try the following:

• See if the Touchpad works when you unplug a USB mouse.
    If it does:
  1. Press the Windows Key + R to bring up the Run dialog.
  2. Type main.cpl and press Enter to bring up the Mouse properties.
  3. Click the Device Settings tab.
  4. Uncheck the “Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached” option.
  • Press Fn+F9
    • On a lot of Toshiba Satellite models, this key combination will enable and disable the touchpad.
  • See if there is a Touchpad lock button
    • Some models have a button located between the spacebar and Touchpad itself. This is used to turn the function on and off.
mcremaschi

Thank you for your response but the touchpad doesn´t work either with mouse plugged or unplugged.

crd17

This helped, in that at least the touchpad is now working. However, the touchpad does not show up in the device manager (even with viewing hidden devices), and the light on the touch pad still shows it is enabled. I unplugged all of my USB mice, so that only the touchpad should show, but the device manager somehow thinks my external microsoft mouse is plugged in and working when it is not plugged in at all. 

Any advice? 

My original issue was that the touchpad would just intermittently stop working, and the light would come on the touch pad showing it was disabled. Pressing F5 or FN+F9 made no difference at all. Originally, the touchpad was showing up in the device manager and I changed the settings to go back to my previous driver rather than the updated driver, then on restart the touch pad stopped showing up on the device manager. 

I have a S55D - 5383 with Windows 8.1.  Not even a month old. 

Thanks, 

crd

nick78

[ Edited ]

Also running a L55-A5284.

I'm pretty frustrated, and that's making synthesizing all of this information pretty difficult.

History:

1. Upgraded to 8.1
  2. Let Toshiba's update do it's thing
  3. Noticed malfunctioning mute button (F11)
  4. Updated keyboard driver (tc50156300g)
  5. Installed/uninstalled another Synaptics device (mouse)
  6. Messed with touchpad settings to add the regular scrolling feature
  7. Touchpad stopped working.

Now I'm at a point where I have the keyboard working, but the multifinger gestures and the scrolling function of the touchpad no longer work

This is what I've tried:

• Off/On sequence from other videos
  • uninstalling/reinstalling drivers for mouse (newest and second to newest).  This works for about 30 seconds.
  • tried to install older system driver (which was stopped by windows)
  • Cursing, crying

(btw, the touchpad is turned on)  :smileytongue:

Computer has been running now for a good 24 hours since I unboxed it, but it seems like this isn't an isolated problem.

Can any of you L55-A5284 brothers and sisters give me a step-by-step on what worked for you?

Thanks,

Nick

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Did you upgrade to 8.1 following very carefully the Toshiba instructions for the upgrade found HERE?

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
nick78

C.B.

I, unfortunately, did not have the foresight to do so.  Am I SOL, or is there a grand restart-everything button?

Nick

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Nick, lots of folks have had success under the same circumstances by just following the update instructions I gave you AS IF you had not done the upgrade yet, restart and then let Toshiba Service Station do its thing per instructions after the upgrade. It's certainly worth a try and better than starting all over again by reverting to Win 8.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
nick78

I ended up redoing the whole thing from scratch, but I'm picky like that.

Thanks for sending me to the instructions though, everything is working perfectly!