sawwas

Keyboard when typing get numbers instead of letters

I sent my laptop Satellite P305-S8842 in for warranty repair the laptop would not turn on no power.  I got it back they replaced the system board and the CPU but the keyboard was not working properly and it was slower.  When I typed and the number lock key is on I get numbers instead of letter for certain keys (f6r exa0*3e th5s 5s what  was gett5ng when  ty*ed) this is what I just typed (for example this is what I was getting when I typed).  The only way the keys work properly is when the number lock key is off.  So I sent it back to repair and as you can see I have the same problem.  According to the repair summary - replaced keyboard set dmi updated bios passed all tests.

Has anyone had this problem?  If yes how was it fixed?  I know I will have to end it back but I really don't want to wait another week for them to send it back broke again.  Thanks for any and all assistance.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Keyboard when typing get numbers instead of letters

Satellite P305-S8842 

When I typed and the number lock key is on I get numbers instead of letter for certain keys. ... The only way the keys work properly is when the number lock key is off. 

According to the repair summary - ...passed all tests.

Sounds to me that it's working as intended. When num lock is turned on, some keys should produce numbers instead of letters. That's what num lock means.

The following is from num lock.

Num Lock keys are used to convert part of the main keyboard to act as a (slightly skewed) numeric keypad rather than letters.

-Jerry