amberlush

Keyboard typing different letters/numbers.

My problem started a few days ago when my keyboard started typing numbers instead of letters. I assumed I had put some sort of lock on it by accident, and restarted it. I have since googled the crap out of this problem trying to figure out what it is, to no avail. The laptop mouse has now started acted up. (I reformatted last night and this has not fixed the problem) 

the exact problems are..

The keyboard types different keys, and some of the keys don't work at all sometimes. It alternates. 

I tried plugging a keyboard into one of the USB ports, and it to messes up 95 percent of the time. It will work for just a little while, five or so minutes and then it will begin to mess up. I also tried to use the on screen keyboard, and it also works for about five or so minutes and then it begins to go crazy, like a ghost so holding down the CRTL buttons. I do not understand it. 

The mousepad has since started acting up, this started yesterday. When I click on something it will open a new window for it, or when I scroll down the page it will highlight everything. 

I have no idea what the problem is, I have tried everything I could think of. I have cleaned the keys, I have reformatted, and I have tried s third party keyboard. Anyone have an suggestions as to what this could be?

Peter

Re: Keyboard typing different letters/numbers.

Please include your full model number when posting problems on the forums. It can be found on the bottom of your laptop.

Plugging in an external keyboard doesn't turn off the internal, so it's possible it's still a physical problem with the internal. Try turning off the notebook, unplugging all connections, turning the notebook upside-down, and gently shaking it. There could be foreign objects under the keys - dust and the like.

Did anything spill in the keyboard or on the touchpad? That can cause these symptoms as well.

When you reformatted, did you use the recovery partition (holding '0' while booting), recovery discs, or a Windows disc?

- Peter
Occasional Organizer
swtrven

I have this same issue. My cat jumped on my laptope and thats when i noticed it started. Not sure if his paw chachanged something or messed something up. When pushing the 's' key i get an output of 'sq' and some letters just do not work at all times. I cleaned the keys out, rebooted, battery removed, all the common things and none fixed. So i took apart and now have bigger issue since the screen will not come on. Powers on everything back in place and wires connected but screen will not. Any suggestions?

Sateilite C655D-S50884
Satellite C655D-S5084
Peter

swtrven, 

Turn off your laptop, unplug all wires, remove the battery, and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Afterwards, reattach the battery and connections. If it still doesn't work, remove the battery and start with just the AC power. Next try without the AC power and just the battery. If it continues not to work, call technical support at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter
sarah1911

Where you able to get the keyboard working again?  I can completely empathize with coping after the cat jumped on the keyboard. :smileyfrustrated: That is exactly what happened to me. :smileyfrustrated: The only difference is that my laptop is a Satellite L735-S3210.  Hope all is well.

Sarah :smileyhappy:

JMRas

I own a Sattelite L655-S5146.  The keyboard types the wrong characters.  Shutdown, restarts, updates, etc. no longer correct the issue.  It is not random; this is the error:

With NumLock ON -

DEL = ';m
o = -oiut
l = <BACKSPACE>plkh
. = ][.,j/
<RIGHT ARROW> = /<Windows menu between right ALT & right CTRL>
<HOME> = no action
9 = =0987y

O = _OIU
shift DEL = "M
L = <BACKSPACE>PLK
shift . = }{><J
shift <RIGHT ARROW> = ?<SHIFT HOME><Windows menu between right ALT & right CTRL>
shift <HOME> = no action
shift 9 = +)(*&

- - - - - - - - - - - -

With NumLock OFF -

o = o<HOME>
<HOME> = no action

O = O + shift <HOME>

I'm typing with the help of on-screen keyboard & lots of patience.  Help, please.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

You didn't say if you tried anything other than restarts and updates so I'll assume you haven't. Try the following:

1.  Go to Device Manager, double click on Keyboards, click on the built-in keyboard, click Uninstall.  Restart the computer and the driver will be automatically reinstalled.

2.  If that didn't solve your problem, turn off computer. Remove all attachments and battery. Press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds.  Attach Power and insert battery.  Start computer and tap F2 at the Toshiba splash screen to get in BIOS.  Press F9 to setup system defaults. Answer Yes. Press F10 to Save Configuration Changes and Exit.  Answer Yes to complete the process.  The computer will restart.

Hopefully, the keyboard will now be working correctly.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
JMRas

C.B.

Thank you but unistalling & setting up system defaults did not fix the issue. 

I notice that there is a time-lag when NumLock is off between the "o" and the <HOME>, i.e., if I'm typing fast enough, I might get two characters to print before the cursor moves to the beginning of the line.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

It would be helpful if you have an external keyboard you could try to see if it works okay. If you don't, try the On Screen Keyboard and see if it is working okay.  Type OSK in the Start/Search box and hit enter. Does that keyboard work okay? 

The only ironclad way to prove whether the problem is software or hardware related is to do a complete out-of-box recovery of the HDD and your HDD would then revert to where it was the day you brought it home. Before you do that, you may want to take a look at the control ribbon cable where the keyboard attaches to the motherboard. It might pay to remove that connection and reattach.  To do that, you will have to remove the keyboard. Unfortunately, the website I use that has disassembly instructions for Toshiba laptops doesn't show the L655. You may very well end up having to replace the keyboard so this will be good practice.

I am giving you links below that do show laptop disassembly for the L645D and L675D. The methods are slightly different but I would think yours would be like one or the other. Can't hurt to take a look. These instructions are very detailed and have lots of pictures.

L645D Dissassembly Instructions                      L675D Disassembly Instructions

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
sjskousen

I bought my Toshib L675D-S7049 just three months ago, Oct 2012. Periodically it starts typing numbers no matter what key you hit in any input box.  The numbers are sequential, eg 1,2,3,4,5,6, etc. I usually havve to completely power down to reset the system. Based on the number of complaints I see I wonder how long until this no longer works.  On a previous computer this occurred when the keyboard wore out, but the input was random and sometimes automatic.  This probably relates to a software driver rather than a hardware problem.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

All of things to try are shown in the posts above.  If none of that works, you should call Toshiba Tech Support at 1-800-457-7777 since your machine is covered by warranty still.

C.B.

C.B.

Rozzellynred

Hello,

I recently purchased a lightly used Toshiba Satellite L875 - S7208 Laptop i3 600GB 4GB. I've had it for a couple of weeks. One day I turned on my computer and when I pressed the letter keys on the keyboard the letters were doubling up. If I press "l" I get "lp" or "o" I get "o-" or "." I get ".]". All of the other buttons work fine. This has nothing to do with numbers showing up when I press a letter key. Any suggestions?