pjfreitas

Keyboard stops typing, begins to open windows

Toshiba Satellite L755-S5103. Periodically the laptop will change function for no apparent reason. Examples, typing in a URL will suddenly stop the typing function and begin to open folders or find function boxes by hitting the same keys. I'm trying to see if I'm hitting/holding a key that may cause this, but during the most recent change over, I was just kitting the letter keys. 

Any recommendations on what this is? 

JADandJWD

Re: Keyboard stops typing, begins to open windows

I have a similar problem. I've found that if I hit crtl-alt-delete and switch user and log back in, it allows me to type again, but there has to be a better solution.

mczim

I am having the same problem with my Satellite p755.  Restarting is not a good solution in my book.  Any response from Toshiba?

mczim

To be more clear, it's a p755-s5320. Just bought it and started using it in late December.  The keyboard has always been a little stiff and with some weirdnesses. I try to keep the heels of my hands off the touchpad. But now once in a while the keys stop working and start flipping me from one program to another. Totally useless.  And the screen zooms in and out. 

Peter

Does this only happen in a particular application or in many? If it's happening in a browser, try switching to a different browser.

Try opening the Mouse settings in the Control Panel. Note that these instructions might not correspond to your model 100%, but the idea should. Click the "Advanced" tab and click "Advanced feature settings." In the "Gestures" tab, uncheck "Enable Pinch Zoom."

Does that help at all?

- Peter
mczim

[ Edited ]

Why would it matter what browser I was in?  I usually use Explorer but will try Firefox.  Which would you recommend?

But really the problem cut across multiple programs with different keys flipping me from one program to the next.

mczim

So I turned off the pinch zoom, but the screen still occasionally shrinks.  And now I don't have any way I an see to restore its size.  Need help!

Peter

It mattered only because if it was only happening in one program, then it's likely a problem with that particular program.

That doesn't seem to be the case.

Pinch zoom is simply a shortcut for other methods of zooming. Often this is control and + or -.

Does it do this in Safe Mode as well?

If, when it's happening, you take your hands off the computer, does it continue? If you turn off the touchpad, does it happen?

- Peter
jbailey

I also have a Toshiba Satalite laptop P755-S5381. My keyboard also tops in mid typing and i wont be able to type when i try i open up all these diffrent windows. It is not happening with any one program it happens with multiple programs and i have tired keeping an eye out for it to see what i'm pushing when it happens but its never the same keys it just seems to be random and out of the blue. I have not tried the switch user suggestion yet but i found the only way i could fix it was to restart my laptop which is a pain especially when in the middle of working on something i can't save what i'm working on because i can't type in any letters. There has got to be a better solution..i've only had my laptop for two months. I've also had the zooming issue but that I can live with the keyboard stopping typing i cannot. My last laptop was a Toshiba also and I love Toshiba products thats part of why i got this laptop and i loved the keyboard light's when i first got the laptop the keyboard lite up every time i touched a key it lite up then went off now it only happens if i turn the light on and leave it on or turn it off. That stopped after the first few days i had the laptop but since you can turn the light on or off I didnt think anything of it not sure if that might have anything to do iwth it.

pjfreitas

The opening of windows and not being able to type happens randomly with any program.

In searching through these boards, this seems to be an issue with many people. Toshiba needs to escalate the review of this issue. Restarting a computer multiple times to correct is not an acceptable work around, it seems thats the only way to correct the problem. 

Peter

I don't have a solution. You may want to contact customer support at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter
aporter47

Has anyone found any solutions to this?  I'm having the same problems with my Satellite P775-S7365.  I just bought my laptop in October and this has been happening sporadically since I bought it.  I did figure out that when the keyboard stops typing it's like I'm holding the ctrl key down with the keys I'm typing in--depending on the key I push it opens windows, folders, closes windows. 

mczim

Disabling pinch zoom on the touchpad mouse seems to have helped.  I haven't had the wild window-opening sessions.However, I do still have times when the keyboard does not respond. 

cabaird55

I have had a similar issue and the problem is that the left CTRL key sticks which causes the rest of the keys to do the function they would do with the CTRL key instead of being a letter or number.  Once I figured that out, I click or lift up on the left CTRL key until the other keys work normally.

angelusash

The same thing is happening to my laptop too. I have a Sattellite C675D-S7325, and at least a few times a day it stops letting my type, instead - when I press a certain letter, for example "t", it opens a new tab like I pressed ctrl-t. So far there's been nothing on the matter but if this is happening to this many laptops without success then there must be a major problem.

-angelusash

"Saving people, hunting things - the family business" -Dean Winchester
remaor

I have a new laptop and have same experiences.  Ctrl+t and Ctrl+n have specific functions.  There must be some key combination that turns on these 'shortcut' keys that we are accidently stumbling upon.  I have it happen in browsers and Outlook.   Rebooting computer turns it back off, so not a mechanically stuck key, has to be a programmatic 'stuck' key.  Toshiba- what's the combination that turns it on, and what's the combination to turn it off???

nccollies

I have a Satellite P755-S5120 and it is doing the exact same thing.   After a short time, the keyboard keys stop working and no words show up when I type.  When I do try to type, some keys trigger other functions, like opening an internet tab.  When I'm on an internet page, any links I click on are opened in a new tab. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P755-S5120 

See this message and let us know what happens.

-Jerry
Kimncath

I have a satellite L675 and the keyboard does weird things too.  I thought I was typing too fast, or hitting a combination of keys but I would lose a long letter or email, and who wants to start again.  Sometimes a letter in the middle of a word would open the new tab page.  I'd delete it and type again and get the same results a new tab page.  grrrrrr.  I get alot of stuff I don't want, but if I can delete it and get back to where I want, it's not a big problem.  But deleting a hours worth of work, this is frustrating.  It happens alot and it isn't any specific combination of keys either.

greengirl

I have searched so long for this page but at long last have figured it out!

I have a Satellite L755 S5106

Whenever I would type in Word or anywhere, Internet Explorer would launch.

To stop this auto-launch:

CONTROL PANEL

HARDWARE AND SOUND

MOUSE

In the MOUSE PROPERTIES DIALOG BOX select the DEVICE SETTINGS TAB

In the middle of the DEVICE SETTINGS TAB click the SETTINGS... button (far right side).

This opens the PROPERTIES FOR SYNAPTICS TOUCHPAD...dialog box.

Click on the +(plus sign) next to APPLICATION GESTURES

Click on THREE FINGER PRESS

You can either uncheck the THREE FINGER PRESS BOX on the right or you can select the CONFIGURE BUTTON and remove Internet Explorer form the list of programs that would launch.

It's possible you may have more than one program that is set to launch.

It seems my two thumbs moving across the touchpad were triggering the THREE FINGER PRESS move.

So relieved when this stopped because my laptop was at risk for becoming an expensive frisbee.

Good luck!