centimeter

Keyboard issue: some keys not working, random typing

L655D-S5093

Windows 7

My keyboard was working just fine until yesterday.  My son was on the internet all day, mostly facebook and youtube but a couple visits to games.  Last night, the letters H and i and sometimes B were randomly typing in search fields, address bars, run program, Word documents, etc.  i was unable to type H and i when i wanted to.  Per my visual inspection, the keys did not appear to be stuck.

Today, i am able to type H but stll not i (i am copying and pasting it to compose ths post, so i apologize for lack of capitalization...) and additional keys have stopped working: left arrow, backspace,  8 on top number row, enter, and apostrophe.

i have the latest update for Microsoft Security Essentials.  i suspected a trojan horse but nothing is detected.

i have not installed any new programs, but i did a system restore to two days before the problem started. 

How can i tell if this is a hardware problem?  Could it be fixed?

Peter

Re: Keyboard issue: some keys not working, random typing

In the Start Menu, search for "Device Manager" and press ENTER. Expand "Keyboards." Right-click the entry for the keyboard nested under "Keyboards." Then select "Uninstall." Finally, restart the computer. The computer will reinstall the drivers for the keyboard.

If that doesn't fix the problem, use System Restore to restore to the most recent restore point before this issue arose.

You might also want to try turning it off, unplugging it, leaving it open, turning it upside down, and gently shaking it to dislodge anything foreign that may have become stuck under the keys.

If that still doesn't help, you could also check Safe Mode to see if it does it there.

- Peter
Elle_Rington

i have tried all of these except the safemode which i can't find 

i can only use my on screen keyboard 

nothing ive tried works and i have a keyboard that doesn't completely work . my

a

button doesn't work at all and when i hit my l button it does this

kl

from hitting it once. enter or space bar doesn't work and only 9 of the 10 numbers work on each number set

i don't know what to do im desperate here i need my computer 

Peter

Here's information on using Safe Mode.

See if the keyboard works in Safe Mode. If so, you might want to try a recovery. If not, then it's likely a hardware failure.

- Peter
CatWoman1964

I have HAD similar problems with the Satellite C670/C6700 and called the Toshiba Support desk (out of warranty) and they suggested I download update to bios which is on their website (visit http://www.toshiba.co.uk/innovation/download_bios.jsp?service=UK).  Having uploaded the BIOS update and then letting the PC reboot itself I then commenced to type in this message to tell you guys whether the problem is fixed.  In all honesty I am not 100% sure.  Whilst typing this I have had to amend a couple of the words I've type because of missing letters/spaces but no where near as many as before.  So, in short, it has a bit!  Not entirely tho!  Have a go, no harm done. 

CatWoman1964

Oh, and I asked Toshiba why the Forum isn't supervised by a member of their staff so that they could come in and help occasionally and I was told in their words "we don't bother with the Forums, people in there get a bit carried away and you could think you have allsorts of problems, we'd prefer people to call us!!!!"  Then why have a Forum?  Stupid or what!

Peter

CatWoman1964, I'm not sure what you mean about  forum not being monitored. I've posted multiple times in this thread. In fact, the last post before your new ones was written by me. I read everything in the forum.

Also, did you contact Toshiba support in the UK? I noticed you mentioned a UK download, but this is the forum for Toshiba USA. Toshiba in other regions won't have any information about our policies.

- Peter
centimeter

My problem turned out to be the keyboard itself.  I ordered a replacement on eBay and was able to install it myself by following a how-to video on YouTube.  No problems since.

I suspect that my son spilled something on it and was afraid to tell me the truth.

Peter

I'm glad you got it solved. Out of curiosity, was it difficult for you to change the keyboard?

- Peter
centimeter

Very easy.  It took me a little while to figure out where one of the screws was, but other than that it was not difficult at all.  I don't think it took more than 20 minutes total.  The instructional video I found on YouTube definitely saved me some time.

Peter

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that it was easy.

- Peter
Peter

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.