jes0301

Keyboard isn't working

Hi,

I have a Satellite M305-S4910 that I purchased from Best Buy in March 2009. When I purchased the laptop it had Vista installed, but in December I upgraded to Windows 7.

Anyway, the other night I started to notice that a few of my keys were being unresponsive (the "B", "M", "X" and ";"). I had been using the laptop for most of the evening at this point, so the problem seemed out of nowhere. I restarted the computer a few times and finally turned it off to remove those keys and clean the keyboard.

I turned the computer on a few minutes later and those keys still didn't work. Finally I decided to restart the computer again only to have NONE OF THE KEYS work when pressed.

I've never spilled anything on the computer, I've never dropped the computer and although I leave it on for a good portion of the day (I'm a student) I turn it off and make sure to run virus scans and regular updates. I do have a kitten, but he doesn't sit on my computer because when I am not sitting at my computer I close it and sit it on a table.

I read somewhere that unplugging the laptop and removing the battery for a few minutes will help fix the problem--I tired that several times and that didn't work.

I read plugging in an external USB keyboard and seeing if I can type with that should work--and it DID the first time I used it, but afterward even that didn't work.

Unfortunately, I can't even maneuver around my desktop because I had a password on my laptop--so since I can't use the keyboard I can't enter in my password and I can't log on. :smileysad:

Lastly, yesterday I was briefly able to get the external keyboard AND my laptop's keyboard to work. I went to download Microsoft drivers & run a virus scan. Of course after the downloads are complete the computer restarts so once it restarted I was back at square 1 (not being able to use either keyboard)

I'm really running out of ideas here....I have no idea why it stopped working. Could this be a motherboard issue? A power supply issue?

vesko

Re: Keyboard isn't working

[ Edited ]

hi, i have very similar problem with my Satellite L455, also bought by BestBye.

Have described it here - still no answer!

It looks to me as problem with the hardware - windows 7 drivers for the keyboard.

As for the password, i have used the systemrescuecd in similar situations

http://www.sysresccd.org

it is Linux-based, easy to use, has graphical environment.

It has a nice tool on it - called ntpasswd - it must help you to remove any windows passwords.

On the main menu ( shown on the first picture here:  http://www.sysresccd.org/Screenshots )

you must select the <F> option

abundantlife10

Did you resolve your issue? I have tried everything and my computer won't work. It now types 66666666666666 whenever I try to use it. It will not let me use the keyboard at all. I tryed connecting an external keyboad same thing. I redid the driver. Ran the free Norton Virus. Nothing works. Returned to factory settings, everything. The keyboard will not work and it is not the keyboard because no keyboard works.

renee1971

I nee help! A you an tell I an not type anything! I alo et the 66666666 when the laptop tart up! I a horribly frustrated!

bherzog

Worst . Laptop . Ever .

By now, I'm sure you've been forced to purchase another laptop in order to keep up with your studies, as I did. NOT a Toshiba!

I did all of the suggested fixes for a non-responsive keyboard over and over again, only to have the problem return, at shorter intervals.

I edit e-books for a living, and have no patience for this kind of a FAIL from a laptop that's never been abused.

The REAL fix for Toshiba keyboard problems is a new non-Toshiba laptop.

Sincerely,

Good Luck