hawaiianatheart

Keyboard doing function commands instead of typing

The keyboard on new laptop (Satellite P770D-BT4N22 Laptop) is not functioning properly. I type in a number or a letter and instead of typing it does a function instead. 1= going to 1st tab and N = new window, etc. How do I correct this? I was typing just fine when it suddenly changed. I have no clue what I did or how to fix it.  Yes, I am having to use another computer to find out how to fix the laptop. NOT HAPPY! At least I have access to another one but my legal papers are in laptop. :smileysad:

Thanks in advance! 

buzzwood57

Re: Keyboard doing function commands instead of typing

I am having a very similar problem on a New Satellite C55-A Laptop.I am using Windows 8.1 x 64. I recently did some updates that that the Toshiba Service Station reccommended.  When the problem starts, I'll be typing in a box and if I type the letter "C" up pops the menu for the Run Program. The cursor is frozen and when I try to click out of it the same Program keeps popping up. Sometimes I type the letter "G" and I get the settings part of the Charms menu. The only fix I have found when it starts is to Restart the Laptop. It only happens occassionally. At first I thought maybe I was hitting some Function key by mistake since I use the touchpad and am left handed. My fingers tend to rest near the Control and Shift buttons. So I'm not sure why.

buzzwood57

Just an update. Later today, after my post, I could not type anything in boxes. I tried to find system restore in the search charm only to have it disappear on me. I finally had to go there by opening system properties and so on till I was able to click on system restore. I restored it back to before the last Toshiba Service Station updates that included one for media player. Even though the restore was completed with an error (said I needed to disable my anti-virus before running system restore) I am not having the same problems. Hopefully it will last.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Next time you post in this forum, tell us which Satellite C55-A you have. There is a label on the bottom with the part number.

-Jerry