ctina8907

Keyboard backlight not working

Hello,

I received the Satellite A665D-S5172 as a gift and the keyboard backlight does not appear to be working. Call me crazy, but I saw it light up for about 2 or 3 seconds at first boot, then it shut off and never came back on.

In my HWSetup, there is no option tab for "Illumination". I have a button in the strip above the keyboard that turns the touchpad light and the "Satellite" light on/off just fine. Fn+z also does nothing. The product description describes that there should be a keyboard backlight.

Is there an updated utility or a hotfix that I can use to get this working again?

Operating system is Windows 7 x64.

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Keyboard backlight not working

Satellite A665D-S5172

The spec (above) has no mention of a backlit keyboard.

Compare to these specs that do have it.

Satellite A665-S5179

Satellite A665-S5183X

-Jerry
ctina8907

That seems to be correct as I had just checked the model specifics on this website. The Amazon store where I had purchased this laptop mentions it having a backlit keyboard. Bummer. :smileysad: Thanks for the info, however.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I've been misled many times by descriptions on Amazon.

-Jerry
cbelting

Being misled by Amazon is one thing but for the life of me I can't see how Toshiba can mislead folks and stand by the fact there's not a problem.  We just got a P745-S4380 through Amazon.  Now I've been to every web site I could easily locate and they all state, just like Toshiba, that the units come with the backlit keyboard.  This includes stores on the internet like Sears and Office Max.  The information is pretty much identical to that you can find on the Toshiba site. 

HOWEVER, look closely at any of the photos and you'll see the keyboard is NOT backlit!  This takes some searching to find one that does have the backlit keyboard like the P745-S4360. 

What I'd really like to know is why Toshiba doesn't correct this error? 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

cbelting wrote:... 

Good point.

This page has it listed, but this page does not.

Maybe Peter will stop by...

-Jerry
cbelting

Kind of a shame you can't rely on the product page and you have to dig in to the datasheet to discover which features are really bundled in a machine, don't you think.  How many other items should one expect to verify to know for sure what they are buying. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

One thing people are good at: making misteaks.    

-Jerry
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

I'm a little late to the party but neither link seems to reference a backlit keyboard today.  

The specs were probably updated sometime between now and when these posts took place, but let me know if there's still a backlit keyboard reference anywhere for this model.

Thanks,

Jim

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..a little late to the party

We thought you fixed it!

-Jerry
luda876

I own a a665d s5172 the laptop does have the slot for the backlit keyboard but the bios needs to be updated to one that has the option to turn it on for it to work